• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help Danish patients: ME to be categorised as psychiatric by GPs

Countrygirl

ME and MCS about to be categorised as a psychiatric illness by Danish GPs.

Please sign the patients' petition to object to this dangerous injustice that will only increase the suffering of the very sick patients.

From Helle Rasmussen:

The Danish Society for General Practitioners is planning to publish a guideline for functional disorders by the end of 2012. In the new guideline, diagnoses like ME, fibromyalgia, whiplash, Multiple Chemical Sensitiv
ity, irritable bowel syndrome etc. will be changed into the psychiatric diagnoses of 'functional disorder' and 'Bodily Distress Syndrome'.

Please help the Danish ME and MCS patients protest against this development by signing the petition here (petition text will soon be translated into English):

http://www.facebook.com/l/lAQF6V-0BAQFBjPBfPDuKswdPkmDv2TIL0BDhq-JGwSoPqQ/www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-vejledning-i-funktionelle-lidelser/

NOTICE: Please no anonymous signatures. You can send your signature to the owner of the petition, Berit Rask at beritrask@mail.tele.dk if you don't want it online.

C.G.

Enid

I've emailed Berit (not on Facebook) at this horror - the witches round the cauldron (Shakespeare) comes to mind - know no better. They might try casting the runes next - it might come up with something better :mad:

MNC

But why would the danish authorities take into consideration the petition of foreign people?

How come the danes are ignoring the norwegian recent discovery of Rituximab response, by the way? They are twin-nations. While the norwegian government made this statement of acknowledgement of the disease as a severe immune one, even apologizing to the patients, the danes move in the opposite direction?

Strange...

SilverbladeTE

I have ASSHOLE DISTRESS SYNDROME:
I'm sick to death of moronic, inbred, arrogant, pompous, psychopathic, sadistic, cowardly, mouse-dicked assholes who pretend to be physicians!
:p

the WIki page for IBS is obviously edited by the Psycho-Babblers. All pro-physical research is ignored.
Lol from the WIKI FM page:
Yunus has referred to some physicians' belief that FM is psychological in nature as Disturbed Physician Syndrome (DPS): "It is the physicians who are psychologically disturbed because they ignore the data, and whatever data there is, they manipulate it to say what they want it to say.

Merry

Countrygirl, I've tried the link a couple of times, but the site is down for maintenance. I'll try to remember to sign later. Thanks for letting us know about the petition.

Nielk

ME and MCS about to be categorised as a psychiatric illness by Danish GPs.

Please sign the patients' petition to object to this dangerous injustice that will only increase the suffering of the very sick patients.

From Helle Rasmussen:

The Danish Society for General Practitioners is planning to publish a guideline for functional disorders by the end of 2012. In the new guideline, diagnoses like ME, fibromyalgia, whiplash, Multiple Chemical Sensitiv
ity, irritable bowel syndrome etc. will be changed into the psychiatric diagnoses of 'functional disorder' and 'Bodily Distress Syndrome'.

Please help the Danish ME and MCS patients protest against this development by signing the petition here (petition text will soon be translated into English):
http://www.facebook.com/l/lAQF6V-0BAQFBjPBfPDuKswdPkmDv2TIL0BDhq-JGwSoPqQ/www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-vejledning-i-funktionelle-lidelser/

NOTICE: Please no anonymous signatures. You can send your signature to the owner of the petition, Berit Rask at beritrask@mail.tele.dk if you don't want it online.

C.G.

If we want to e-mail the petition owner, what information do they need? Just our name?

Countrygirl

The site was working when I posted it, but I am finding is down for maintenance now.

Neilk, it just says that our name will be sufficient. Hopefully, the site will be restored shortly and people can sign their name directly.

It is extraordinary that the Danes are ignoring the RItuximab trial and the words of the Norwegian health minister. They must be even more slow witted than the UK medical profession...........hard to believe, but true it seems.:rolleyes: After all, only intelligent medical professionals can grasp the complexities of a multi system illness and most .......would it be fair to say :angel: nearly all in the UK ...........(.too much Viking blood in their veins from the days of rape and pillage, judging by the Danish petition? :D ) .............are clearly of average ability, making the concept of a neuro immune disease beyond their limited capabilities.

C.G.

Enid

Slow witted and completely unable to read (scientific/medical findings over years) is blatently obvious. Difficult not to be rude and ask them just where they have been living over the last 30 years at least as pathologies stand increasingly revealed, and tests, treatments and screenings needed now well underway. Presumably far too complicated (as multiystem) for some.

Was it Prof Hooper who coined the phrase "defiance of science".

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Whiplash is functional? I know someone who was in a few mild car accidents (rear-ended at traffic lights) and she has demonstrated nerve damage (shows up in imaging) and is on pain medication for it.

SilverbladeTE

The neck area is inherently unstable and dangerous in that it has a large weight (skull, brain etc) on end of a thinner support column
plus the neck itself has vital structures, food, air, vagus nerve, spinal cord
any seriosu force applied can thus cause great harm, in many ways (hence you should NEVER ever grab someone round the neck, or even slap that area)

typically in impacts the brain splats against the inside of the skull, causing damage, again, the "wobbly" nature, the leverage of the neck provides high potential risk for amplifying lateral movements into the proverbial "whiplash"
so all seats SHOULD have full height head rests for safety, and speed/acceleration should be curbed drastically.
Impact energy of a car at 70mph is the same as 1,400 machine gun bullets.
Humans evolved to deal with speeds of *20mph*!!! You simply cannot get around that fact.

(1/2 Mass) x (velocity squared) is formula for kinetic energy of impactsm that's what does the damage, plus of course possible impacts with sharp/broken items etc.

It is thus little wonder that with the 1 MILLION deaths on the roads each year across the world, and billions of accidents, that soem are left with puzzling but serious injuries. Such huge numbers = small percentages of unusual injuries will be seen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3603439.stm

alex3619

I saw this posted elsewhere, and it fits in with the new ICD proposals and DSM-5. We have a fight brewing.

I don't think most docs are stupid about all this. I think they are clueless. They simply have no idea of the science, and don't have time to care ... they arent paid to care but to shuffle patients through fast.

What I do find incredibly stupid is the notion that ME is not real because they can't find a mechanism causing it. Yet they believe in babble when someone tells them the cause is waffle waffle blah blah please don't pin me down.

SilverbladeTE

Alex
and yet, Science (*) has often had no clue what was cuasing some effect, but got off it's arse and LOOKED for it
No one knew what the hell was causing radioactive materials to give exposures on film plates..it was only later X-Rays were understood.

(*) and that's another problem, "science" is NOT "Large hadron collider", PHds or whatever, because a hell of a lot of the work was and is done by "ordinary Bods": it's a passion and yet a collective effort, for professionals and amateurs.
Science is just udnerstanding this Universe through logical deduction, reason, repeatable experimentation and vitally, recording and disseminating data for others.
The cultural shift to the expectation of a "scientist" to be a "boffin in the government/company lab" started really in middle of last century, and it was not good, IMHO, up to then the "amateur" had huge impact on the field.
Turning scientist into another damn "profession/class of witchdoctors" :p

As I've said before, IMHO, Medicine is an Art, because it's about dealing with people, hard moral choices and variables of near infinite ocmplexity, and it thus attracts many who are "religious" in outlook/practice, now that's nto automatically bad because cause dealing with these things DOES take much more than just the medical facts.
And the docs ain't robots, the things they deal with upsets and hurt the mind/soul dreadfully.
But, it throws up huge problems at times, because the field is so damnably divorced from hard science, also has ot do with "tradition", the professions, arrogance, and especially nowadays, bloody evil profiteers (Pharma corps and others)

Tally

I live in a European country that is not Denmark. I have always felt that Danes were much better off compared to Americans because they were lucky enough to live in a country that has amazing social and medical benefits and everyone seemed to have been taken care of.

However, I have changed my mind lately. In the U.S.A there are plently of doctors who care about real CFS/ME research, as opposed to Denmark where everyone has the agenda of curbing the benefit costs.

I know it sucks for those who are really poor, but in a way it is also very good that people have to pay themselves because that way they get to decide which way their money goes as opposed to everything being in the hands of bureaucracy.

alex3619

Hi Silverblade, my current blog, Greenwashing, which is still unfinished, addresses some of the same points you are making here in post 13. In fact my next three blogs address these issues. (I am currently planning 13 blogs in advance, with three or more vague blog ideas pending.)

Psychobabble is not science. It has all the hallmarks of pseudoscience. The nature of investigation and enquiry resemble that used to discredit the environmental movement - hence the link with Greenwashing, which is spin used to distort the discussion on the environment.

Medicine is less an art too - the individual practice of medicine is more art than science, granted, but too much of medical policy is based on politics not science (maybe why its called policy?:eek: ). Its become about pursuasive rhetoric, not hard evidence. The Cochrane Reviews look nice on paper, as does much of evidence based medicine, but Zombie Science and a failure to address fundamentals of study design mean it is mostly fatally flawed until these issues can be fixed.

Independent scientists can make all sorts of surprising discoveries. Corporate scientists work toward near term corporate goals. Good for the corporation, bad for society. Corporate scientists don't serve the general public. They are not always allowed to publish. Worse, any science that is against corporate interests can be challenged via political methods, not evidence and reason.

Bye, Alex

justinreilly

Whiplash is functional? I know someone who was in a few mild car accidents (rear-ended at traffic lights) and she has demonstrated nerve damage (shows up in imaging) and is on pain medication for it.
Guess what all these diseases and injuries have in common? Insurers stand to lose catastrophic amounts of money if any of them are accepted as organic.

Just a classic textbook example of concentration of interests on one side vs. diffuse interests on the other side which causes huge distortions in politics, science, business or any other human endevour. This is principle #1 of Public Choice Theory in law, interest group politics in Poli Sci, "tragedy of the commons" in economics, multi-play vs. single-play actors in Game Theory, etc.

All of these theories are totally mainstream and accepted in their respective disciplines. For example, many liberal law schools are heavily into Public Choice Theory, even though it was started at and is almost the firmament of U Chicago Law School (which is extremely conservative and economics oriented).

But the supposedly most scientific discipline of all- SCIENCE- just baldly denies it or ignores it and and lets the money-fueled distortion of science go on largely unabated.

Sure, they say they understand such junior-high school level concepts as Bias in, Bias out and Garbage in, Garbage out; but when you show them blatant examples of this they seem shocked that you could ever accuse the precious discipline of SCIENCE of such a problem. It causes too much cognitive dissonance for them.

And they know if they start accusing others in their field (who are backed by powerful organizations) of incompetence or fraud, they're going to have a very hard time getting work.

"Treason never prospers; for if it prospers, one dare not call it treason." - Shakespeare

Guess I'm preaching to the choir here, but anyway...

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I was waiting for the English translation but went ahead and signed it. I am really surprised at the Danes, on other medical fronts they have been ahead of the curve. As CountryGirl said, they need to be given the Norweigen Rituximab trial information.