• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clinical Trial Results of NeuroProtek in ASD

shannah

The clinical trial results on NeuroProtek are out on PubMed now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22697063/

A case series of a luteolin formulation (NeuroProtek®) in children with autism spectrum disorders.Theoharides TC, Asadi S, Panagiotidou S.

Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2012 Apr-Jun;25(2):317-23.
Affiliation

Abstract

There has been an impressive, little understood increase in cases of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The lack of any distinctive pathogenetic mechanism has hampered the development of any effective treatments. Increasing evidence indicates oxidative stress, brain inflammation, gastrointestinal (GI) dysfunction and allergic symptoms may be present in ASD patients. The flavone luteolin has anti-oxidant, anti-flammatory, anti-allergy and neuroprotective properties. Given these findings, a dietary supplement was developed with a unique mixture of luteolin with the related flavonoids quercetin and rutin in a liposomal formulation of olive kernel oil (OKO), which increases their absorption. Results are presented for children with ASD (n=37, 4-14 years old) who had not obtained any benefit from multiple other regimens and who used this formulation for at least 4 months. GI and allergy symptoms improved in about 75 percent of children, eye contact and attention in 50 percent, social interaction in 25 percent and resumption of speech in about 10 percent. There were no adverse effects. Even though these results represent an uncontrolled open case series, they are encouraging because they suggest good tolerability and potential effectiveness.
PMID

22697063 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

shannah

A testimonial on Neuroprotek from a child with Autism.

"This child had many allergies, difficulty focusing and expressing himself before starting on NeuroProtek in November 2011. This short video was recorded before Dr. Theoharides lecture during Autism One on May 27, 2012 and is shown with the child's parents' permission."

http://www.mastcellmaster.com/video-english-autism.html

This looks good but very expensive. 8 caps a day for average weight at 50p each is over 1000 pounds a year. Has anybody tried it?

camas

This looks good but very expensive. 8 caps a day for average weight at 50p each is over 1000 pounds a year. Has anybody tried it?

I'm giving it a two-month trial -- just six caps a day because of the cost. I've only taken it for four days, so don't have anything to report yet other than softer skin.

I bought some of this and it actually seemed to make me worse. I do go up and down so I'll stick with it for a bit but I've read that people who are sensitive to salicylates are very sensitive to quercetin. I couldn't find much more about it though. I don't actally know whether I'm allergic to salicyates but I do know that if I go in a room which has a glass of red wine in it makes my sinuses swell up, my face go red and generally makes me feel rubbish which I've never understood.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I bought some of this and it actually seemed to make me worse. I do go up and down so I'll stick with it for a bit but I've read that people who are sensitive to salicylates are very sensitive to quercetin. I couldn't find much more about it though. I don't actally know whether I'm allergic to salicyates but I do know that if I go in a room which has a glass of red wine in it makes my sinuses swell up, my face go red and generally makes me feel rubbish which I've never understood.

Quercitin can also slow down the phase I detox--another possibility--to complicate the picture!

Sushi

natasa778

The latest version of Neuroprotek is supposed to have only a miniscule amount of quercertin in it. There is another product out there by another company that is lueolin-only I believe, Lutimax.

That's interested sushi and Natasa. I've read before that all Bioflavinoids are salicylates. Has anyone else had reactions to it? I actually rarely have any reaction to supplements.