• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878: what should it taste like when it's ready? What symptoms to expect?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just tried my first dose of MAF 878 after five days of culturing it - just 25ml instead of 75ml in case I poison myself - not very confident about the whole yoghurt-making thing - and it tasted quite sharp and acid (a bit like vomit, frankly, though I'm trying to think of it as tasting of yoghurt!) and it smells like a cross between yoghurt and yeast.

Normal? Not normal?

Should I expect any, erm, digestive system adjustments? Or anything else?

20 minutes in and I'm still alive... :thumbsup:

ukxmrv

Mine was similar in taste I think. Found it very hard to start to take the mixture as I hate the taste of milk anyway (let alone this tart).

For the first day or two I had nausea and my stomach felt very full. Then diarrhoea started.

Sorry if TMI! Sure we are all going to react to this differently.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi uk - you are my info source on all this! That's good to know that yours tasted similar (unless both of ours turned out wrong!).

Not TMI at all, I'd rather be prepared! Thanks for being willing to share. :)

How long have you been on it now? Did things settle down quite quickly? Have you noticed any other effects, good or bad?

ukxmrv

It was a very bumpy month as I caught a bad flu doing the rounds. Still early weeks yet. I had a break so it is day 45 for me.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sorry to hear you had the flu - quite a few of my (healthy) friends have had bad bugs in the last few weeks.

Anyway, it's Hour #7 and I'm still alive!

Rrrr

i have an extra MAF878 starter kit: anyone want it? if you live in the MA area, we can meet up and i can bring it to you. if not, we can try mailing it. if it arrives safely to you, i would then either sell it for cheap or give it away to you. i got it on august 6th from enlander via snailmail. i was told it is good for 6 wks if kept in the fridge, as is, before it has to be made into MAF878 using yogurt and keifer. i guess if you wait longer than those 6 wks,, it could go bad? then, once made into MAF878, as per the Enlander instructions, i was told it is good in this MAF878 form in the fridge for up to 2 months.

if interested, feel free to "private message" me.

rrrr

Sasha

Fine, thank you
hi, what consistency should it be after 5 days of culturing? thanks.

I've made three batches now and the consistency is always very liquid, with little bits in it. Mine is not like yoghurt at all!

I use 1 pint whole milk, 1 pint yoghurt and 2 pints kefir, plus the MAF 878 starter.

ukxmrv

I wonder if that is because your kefir is the same consistency Sasha? The kefit I am making is lumpy and that seemed to transfer over the the MAF878?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I wonder if that is because your kefir is the same consistency Sasha? The kefit I am making is lumpy and that seemed to transfer over the the MAF878?
Maybe that's it - I buy ready-made kefir and it's a pouring consistency.