• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article -- How the Brain Cleans Itself

Wayne

Given how CFS has so disrupted my cognitive function, and is probably the most difficult "symptom" I deal with, I've long wondered what could be the cause of this dysfunction. It's not only common in ME/CFS, but in any number of other disease situations, such as Multiple Sclerosis, Lyme, etc. So I found the above article quite interesting, which seems to indicate (to me) it's possible a gene expression critical to allowing the brain to cleanse itself may get disabled as a result of various infections going on in the body. I found the following especially interesting:
As a test of their work, the researchers injected proteins called amyloid beta into mice's brains. In Alzheimer's, this protein—present in all healthy brains—can accumulate and clump, developing into cell-damaging plaque. The researchers compared mice with a normal glymphatic system to those with a disabled gene that prevented glial cells from assisting in the fluid flow. They found that in the normal mice, the protein rapidly cleared from the brain along these channels, but amyloid removal diminished in the gene-altered animals. --- Iliff hypothesizes that a faulty glymphatic system may bear the blame for the over-accumulation of proteins seen in Alzheimer's, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's and other neurodegenerative disorders—and further study may even reveal a way to dispose of these clumps.

Wayne

The researchers compared mice with a normal glymphatic system to those with a disabled gene that prevented glial cells from assisting in the fluid flow. They found that in the normal mice, the protein rapidly cleared from the brain along these channels, but amyloid removal diminished in the gene-altered animals.
I just got back from a visit with my ND, and mentioned this article and its reference to the role of glial cells in brain cleaning. His first response was something like, "The glial cells are the immune system of the brain". If that's an accurate portrayal, then it would seem that pwCFS' disrupted immune systems could disrupt glial cells, which could then significantly disrupt the brain's ability to detoxify.

Wally

Here is a book that you might be interested in taking a look at. I have not read it, but listened to an interview with the author and found the subject matter to be very interesting. This link is to "Amazon" where you can read reviews of the book, along with a few pages from the book. http://www.amazon.com/The-Other-Brain-Schizophrenia-Revolutionizing/dp/0743291417

Here is a little bit of additional brain information that you might like to read about.
1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein's_brain
2) http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...haws-150-brains-at-harvard-research-hospital/
3) http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21914-rare-brain-samples-lost-in-freezer-failure.html
4) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/h...scarcity-of-brain-samples.html?pagewanted=all
5) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=dna-from-old-brains

Wayne

I had an interesting experience about five years ago with the same ND I mentioned in my last post. I was explaining a bit about the methylation cycle block (MCB) protocol, and how I was taking some specialized MCB supplements (Perque B-12 daily and the Intrinsi B-12 Folate). I described how I soon noticed detox symtpoms of headaches and restless sleep.

Another symptom I suspected as detox was a black spot that showed up under my thumbnail on my right thumb. It started out at the base of my nail and over a period of weeks moved toward the end. I then showed him how I had the exact same kind of black spot in the exact same location under the left thumbnail. Only it started out about a week later.

He looked at me with a fairly serious look on his face and said something like, "Those are detoxifcation pathways leading out of the brain". I suspected as much, but it was a pretty sobering experience to have it mentioned by a doctor. Although the MCB supplements seemed to be greatly assisting some brain detox, they apparently weren't able to stop the Lyme neurotoxicity (and perhaps much more) that I still deal with.

Hi Nielk, I really don't have any idea whether there is a test for this or not. Given that much in this article seems to be fairly recently recognized phenomenon, I would doubt that there is. They apparently could only "observe" much of this by creating an opening directly into the mouse's brain. Don't think I'm quite ready for such a procedure! LOL

Here is a book that you might be interested in taking a look at. I have not read it, but listened to an interview with the author and found the subject matter to be very interesting. This link is to "Amazon" where you can read reviews of the book, along with a few pages from the book. http://www.amazon.com/The-Other-Brain-Schizophrenia-Revolutionizing/dp/0743291417

Hi Wally, thanks much for the links. I'm planning on checking them out at some time. I had an aunt who was schizophrenic, and I'm convinced a very high percentage of schizophrenia cases result from physical causes, rather than some kind of mental or psychological issues.

Wayne

Wally

Hi Wally, thanks much for the links. I'm planning on checking them out at some time. I had an aunt who was schizophrenic, and I'm convinced a very high percentage of schizophrenia cases result from physical causes, rather than some kind of mental or psychological issues.

Wayne

Hi Wayne. I am also of the opinion that we may see current labeling of mental or psychological illlnesses being reclassified as having a biological cause such as an infection agent and/or exposure to chemical toxins. It is my understanding that this may be the thinking of some of the physicians/researchers in the MECFS world. I wonder what will happen to the world of psychiatry if technology is able to reveal the root cause of these illnesses?

Here is some more information about the author of "The Other Brain". http://theotherbrainbook.com/events.php
Unfortunately the links to radio interviews with the author don't seem to be working. I believe the interview that I listened to was on NPR. Perhaps there is another way to track down the interview if you might be interested in listening to it.

Aileen

Took a look at the book on amazon.ca It has a couple chapters you can read for free. Fascinating stuff!! I just ordered the book and can't wait to get it. Thanks for posting the link Wally.:thumbsup:

Jenny

Given how CFS has so disrupted my cognitive function, and is probably the most difficult "symptom" I deal with, I've long wondered what could be the cause of this dysfunction. It's not only common in ME/CFS, but in any number of other disease situations, such as Multiple Sclerosis, Lyme, etc. So I found the above article quite interesting, which seems to indicate (to me) it's possible a gene expression critical to allowing the brain to cleanse itself may get disabled as a result of various infections going on in the body. I found the following especially interesting:

Raymond Perrin - the osteopath who's found that lymphatic drainage massage helps ME - is very excited about this. He says it validates what he's been saying for years about how drainage works in the brain.

Jenny

Wayne

Raymond Perrin - the osteopath who's found that lymphatic drainage massage helps ME - is very excited about this. He says it validates what he's been saying for years about how drainage works in the brain.

Thanks much Jenny for posting this information.

Just wanted to mention briefly this morning that I've really had a rough time of it lately, and woke up after only 5 hours of sleep with a nasty headache. This usually portends a very rough day going forward. But as I sat down to do a morning contemplation, I looked over at a fairly neglected shelf of supplements I'd been meaning to review. I instinctively reached over and grabbed a bottle of Lithium Orotate, a mineral with a documented ability to detoxify the brain. This is why it works for any number of "mental disorders", including schizophrenia. It doesn't change brain chemistry one iota, it only detoxifies.

Anyway, I took a single dose, and am amazed how I'm feeling much better than I have for quite some time. And for this to happen after a particularly rough night has given me an indication how much my toxic brain has been interfering with so many aspects of my life. Anyway, thought I'd share my "morning discovery". It's been great for now, but as with so many other things that have worked for me, they are often only (and sadly) quite temporary.

Best, Wayne

Jenny

Thanks much Jenny for posting this information.

Just wanted to mention briefly this morning that I've really had a rough time of it lately, and woke up after only 5 hours of sleep with a nasty headache. This usually portends a very rough day going forward. But as I sat down to do a morning contemplation, I looked over at a fairly neglected shelf of supplements I'd been meaning to review. I instinctively reached over and grabbed a bottle of Lithium Orotate, a mineral with a documented ability to detoxify the brain. This is why it works for any number of "mental disorders", including schizophrenia. It doesn't change brain chemistry one iota, it only detoxifies.

Anyway, I took a single dose, and am amazed how I'm feeling much better than I have for quite some time. And for this to happen after a particularly rough night has given me an indication how much my toxic brain has been interfering with so many aspects of my life. Anyway, thought I'd share my "morning discovery". It's been great for now, but as with so many other things that have worked for me, they are often only (and sadly) quite temporary.

Best, Wayne

Good to hear you're feeling better Wayne - I think there's been some discussion of lithium orotate before.

Jenny

Rrrr

wayne, will you continue to take LO? and if so, can you tell us how you are doing on it? -- best, rrrr

Rrrr

wayne, why were you planning on taking the LO, originally? you had it in yr supplies already. why? what were you going to take it for originally?

Please be careful with LO. Lithium is lithium, whatever form it is in, and lithium is quite hard on the thyroid, among other things. Lots of people have found some help with low-dose LO for various symptoms, and some people even recommend everyone taking a lithium supplement, but I recommend that everyone does research into how lithium functions. Lithium is also a known teratogen. Lithium certainly interacts with the brain in more complex ways than just "detox". Even though the dosages of LO are much lower than lithium carbonate, part of that is because the body has a harder time clearing LO, so blood levels of lithium rise more. Certainly people taking large(r) doses of LO (20mg+) are probably approaching some of the same levels of elemental lithium in their blood as some people prescribed LC.

I believe everyone has the right to put whatever they want into their bodies/brains and lithium can certainly do many things, some of which it seems we are just finding it. But don't get lulled into thinking LO is benign simply because it isn't a scheduled drug and LC is evil because it is. In both cases the exact same salt is doing some of the exact some things in your body.

(FWIW, some people also have advocated the theory that lithium has anti-viral properties)

Wayne

Just came across a reference by Mercola on the following video to salt being so essential to neurological and brain development, including glial cells which assist in draining toxins from the brain. The reference starts at about the 4:20 minute mark:

Amazing Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt