• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

British Army Categorisation of CFS/M.E.

Yogi

http://www.actionforme.org.uk/get-i...-campaigns/categorisation-of-cfs-m-e+answered

6 July 2012
The Countess of Mar asked Her Majesty's Government why the Ministry of Defence categorises CFS/M.E. as a psychiatric or mental health disorder on the British Army Health Questionnaire (RG Form 8), when the World Health Organisation ICD 10 categorises it as a neurological condition under G93.3 and the UK Department of Health has confirmed that there is no other ICD category for the condition.
The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Ministry of Defence (Lord Astor of Hever) provided the following written answer on 24 July 2012:
"The current version of the British Army Health Questionnaire, Recruiting Group Form 8 (RG 8), which has been in use by applicants to the regular Army since 2008, does not assign categories to any medical condition but instead lists conditions which are then verified by the applicant's GP.
"However, until recently, applicants to the Territorial Army (TA) completed an older, self-certified version of the RG 8 (dated 2004), which categorised CFS/M.E. as a psychiatric or mental disorder. This was consistent with advice in place from the World Health Organisation International Classification of Diseases, which allowed clinicians to categorise patients who came under the broad category of chronic fatigue syndrome, under either psychiatry or neurology.
"This older version of RG 8 has now been withdrawn and since April 2012 all TA applicants, like their regular counterparts, now complete the current RG 8 version dated 2008."

Surely the statement below is wrong. Has the CoM or anyone raised this again with the government?
"This was consistent with advice in place from the World Health Organisation International Classification of Diseases, which allowed clinicians to categorise patients who came under the broad category of chronic fatigue syndrome, under either psychiatry or neurology."

PhoenixDown

Who works for the british Ministry of Defence?
Why, Weasel-Bum! :p

ME/CFS....Gulf War Syndrome....yeah....
I heard he feels safer in Afghanistan... perhaps he should eff off back there... or may be get some CBT, you know, a taste of his own medicine.

taniaaust1

"This was consistent with advice in place from the World Health Organisation International Classification of Diseases, which allowed clinicians to categorise patients who came under the broad category of chronic fatigue syndrome, under either psychiatry or neurology."

I'd love to see some proof of that or the WHO answer to if that is what happened. It sounds to me that the Ministry of defence is telling lies.

Do the ones in England have a freedom of info act in which copies of this advice from WHO to defence dept or whoever it was too, could be enquired about and checked into for its truth?

snowathlete

Definitely worth asking for proof. In my personal fight against the dwp they gave me an explaination that I then asked them to prove and so far they haven't been able to. Even my MP couldn't get the evidence. Now one of the regulators has demanded it from them. I don't think they have it though cause I think they just made it up to fob me off. This looks like the same thing to me.
Hopefully the CofM will push for it.