• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood Test Results - Any Thoughts?

cfsme23

Hi All

Just wondering if anything stands out in these relatively basic test results I have just received back. Anyone else have similar results? I suppose there's not enough info to suggest any particular treatments protocol?

Full blood count normal, ESR 5mm/hour, CRP <1mg/L, U&Es, LFTs, corrected calcium and phosphate normal, vitamin D 70nmol/L, vitamin B12 >2000ng/L, folate 13.3mcg/L.

Iron studies, iron concentration 23.7 umol/L, TIBC 65umol/L, iron saturation 36%, ferritin 177mcg/L. Within range.

Immunoglobulin’s: IgA 4.1g/L (normal range 0.7 – 4), IgG 13.2g/L, IgM 0.9g/L.

Protein electrophoresis pending.

ANA negative, ENA negative, C3 98mg/L, C4 15mg/dl. Anti-TPO antibodies negative.
Lymphocyte count 1.968 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD3 1.68 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD4 0.49 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD18 1.11 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD19 0.14 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD16+ CD56 0.13 x 10 ^ 9pl.

CD4/CD8 ratio inverted with CD8 count at the upper end of normal.

HIV antibodies negative. EBC VCA IgM negative. EBNA IgG positive, EBV VCA IgG positive, CMV IgM negative, CMV IgG positive.

Cheers one and all )

richvank

Hi All

Just wondering if anything stands out in these relatively basic test results I have just received back. Anyone else have similar results? I suppose there's not enough info to suggest any particular treatments protocol?

Full blood count normal, ESR 5mm/hour, CRP <1mg/L, U&Es, LFTs, corrected calcium and phosphate normal, vitamin D 70nmol/L, vitamin B12 >2000ng/L, folate 13.3mcg/L.

Iron studies, iron concentration 23.7 umol/L, TIBC 65umol/L, iron saturation 36%, ferritin 177mcg/L. Within range.

Immunoglobulin’s: IgA 4.1g/L (normal range 0.7 – 4), IgG 13.2g/L, IgM 0.9g/L.

Protein electrophoresis pending.

ANA negative, ENA negative, C3 98mg/L, C4 15mg/dl. Anti-TPO antibodies negative.
Lymphocyte count 1.968 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD3 1.68 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD4 0.49 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD18 1.11 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD19 0.14 x 10 ^ 9pl, CD16+ CD56 0.13 x 10 ^ 9pl.

CD4/CD8 ratio inverted with CD8 count at the upper end of normal.

HIV antibodies negative. EBC VCA IgM negative. EBNA IgG positive, EBV VCA IgG positive, CMV IgM negative, CMV IgG positive.

Cheers one and all )

Hi, Scavo.

Full blood count: You mentioned that it was normal. However, were the MCV or the MCH much above the middle of their reference ranges? This is common, but not always found, in ME/CFS, because of the loss of folates from the cells, which is associated with the vicious circle mechanism involving glutathione depletion, a functional B12 deficiency, and a partial block in the methylation cycle.

An ESR at 5 mm per hour is right at the border of suggesting hypercoagulation of the blood, also common but not always found in ME/CFS. The conventional medical community does not see significance in low values of the ESR, only high values, which are associated with infection or inflammation. Hypercoagulation is due to ISAC (Immune system activation of coagulation) in ME/CFS, according to David Berg. It has been treated with low-dose heparin or with proteolytic enzymes, such as nattokinase, serrapeptidase, or lumbrokinase, together with an antiviral or a transfer factor to prevent proliferation of viruses when the fibrin is broken down by the heparin or proteolytic agents.

The high serum B12 suggests a functional B12 deficiency. Such a deficiency is essentially always found in ME/CFS, but the serum B12 is not always high. This again points toward your having the vicious circle mechanism described by the GD-MCB hypothesis.

I don't have the normal ranges for your lab on all the immune-related parameters, but immune dysfunction is common in ME/CFS. I believe that the elements of the GD-MCB hypothesis account for it. Glutathione is particularly important for T-cell function, and low folates will hinder proper clonal expansion of T cells in response to infections.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Rich

xrunner

I had similar results as far as the viruses were concerned. I had elevated IgG for EBV, CMV and coxiella b. I also had high IgG for Borrelia, Cpn, Bartonella, toxoplasma, coxsachie (private testing).

With the right treatment, all the IgG gradually declined over time, including the viral ones, although I never treated any virus directly. As Rich suggested, I also found systemic enzymes quite helpful in combination with antimicrobials.

cfsme23

Thanks ever so much for you both taking the time to look over the results, I really appreciate it.

Rich...sadly I didn't get specific results, it only said that the FBC was 'normal'. I am off to see Dr Kogelnik in a fortnight's time, and I am not a massive fan of taking loads of medications and/or supplements. With this illness I don't want to be throwing good money after bad, with no guarantee that I will get at all better, but definitely having a negative impact on my bank balance. However, I currently take Co Q10, Sub cutaneous B12 meythl injections and fish oil tablets.Would you be able to suggest one or two more medications/supplements that you believe would have the most positive impact in terms of 'bang for your buck'? I would be more than happy to stop some/all of the current supplements in favour of ones that might be more useful.

Your continued time and assistance is massively appreciated :)

richvank

Hi, Scavo.

If you add oral methylfolate at about 400 micrograms per day to the subQ methyl B12, it should lift your partial methylation cycle block and bring up your glutathione, correcting the functional B12 deficiency, provided that you aren't depleted in other essential nutrients. If you are, then a good, potent multi (not a one-pill-per-day type) would probably help. Methylfolate is sold as nonprescription Metafolin, FolaPro, MethylMate B, and Quatrefolic, and in very large dosage, prescription Deplin.

Best regards,

Rich