• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic

Almost every time I take probiotic I feel negative symptoms after that. I know the explainations and I guess the symptoms also connect to my fungus but I also wonder about the safety of probiotic- Does anybody knows a serious research or a well-reasoned opinion about it?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Almost every time I take probiotic I feel negative symptoms after that. I know the explainations and I guess the symptoms also connect to my fungus but I also wonder about the safety of probiotic- Does anybody knows a serious research or a well-reasoned opinion about it?

It might also depend on whether the probiotic you take actually matches what your gut needs! Different probiotics are formulated very differently. You would have to get a good gut test to see what your gut is missing or has too much of, and match that up with the formulation of the probiotic.

Best,
Sushi

Tito

I tried several probiotics and always ended up in severe pain after 2weeks. I have gut disbiosis but no symptoms. I also would like to know about research on this.

It might also depend on whether the probiotic you take actually matches what your gut needs! Different probiotics are formulated very differently. You would have to get a good gut test to see what your gut is missing or has too much of, and match that up with the formulation of the probiotic.

What's the procedure of gut test?

I've a lot of mucus and I read that L.salivarius probiotic can solve the mucus in the intestines derived from fungus and other specific good microbes can generally destroy fungus and mold so I guess that if probiotic can be beneficial to me that's at least a part of the kinds I need.

Tito

And what about an anti-fungal drug such as fluconazol? And then the probiotics.

Enid

Just another thought - I'd been taking probiotics for some time with seemingly little effect until put on a course (following teeth extractions) of Amoxicillan high dose. To repopulate the gut I followed with masses of good probiotics and the result was a great improvement for GI issues.

sianrecovery

its so hit and miss with probiotics - I've tried a lot of different types, and am unable to tell what does what. Sushi is right I'm sure about testing, but I dont have the money for it. I think alot of what is on the market is rubbish, and I also think if you have issues with caesin, which I do, you have to be careful what you buy. Dr Myhill reckons its easy to have allergic type reactions to different probios as well.

Having said that, given I am on term abx, I think they are a necessity for me, and in the absence of testing, trial and error is my quality control.

Piggybacking, hope you dont mind - has anyone tried the Primal Defence stuff?

Using muscle testing, four different probiotics were recommended of at least 2 per day:

Bio-Kult (Probiotics International)
Jarrow Dophilus EPS
Jarrow Dophilus - FOS
Standard Process ProSymbiotic (with inulin and GOS).

it took four months to convert my fungal gut to "normality". Also was on other products to help restore my gut lining. The process was uncomfotable, not because of pain,but because of changes in bowel movements. Not to be graphic, but went through a sticky phase where had to shower after every movement.

Just another thought - I'd been taking probiotics for some time with seemingly little effect until put on a course (following teeth extractions) of Amoxicillan high dose. To repopulate the gut I followed with masses of good probiotics and the result was a great improvement for GI issues.

Did you take the Amoxicillan after the extractions for your gum? Do you know if this method has high success among cfs/chemically sensitive patients?

Using muscle testing, four different probiotics were recommended of at least 2 per day:

Bio-Kult (Probiotics International)
Jarrow Dophilus EPS
Jarrow Dophilus - FOS
Standard Process ProSymbiotic (with inulin and GOS).

it took four months to convert my fungal gut to "normality". Also was on other products to help restore my gut lining. The process was uncomfotable, not because of pain,but because of changes in bowel movements. Not to be graphic, but went through a sticky phase where had to shower after every movement.

Hi East tenn,

I'm glad to hear that you success to overcome on the fungus gut problem. I tried L.salivarius with FOS (100 gram) inside and felt better after a few hour but terrible the day after. I read about the side effects of FOS (E.coli, ect) and it doesn't sound so promising so I'm afraid it can also cause damage.

And what about an anti-fungal drug such as fluconazol? And then the probiotics.
Hi,
I tried fluconazol but it was too hard on my body so I stopped. This drug is not so good for the liver, especially not for ppl with sensitive liver.

Tito

I know but even one tablet might already reduce the amount of fungus making it easier for probiotics to "thrive in the empty spaces left by the dead fungus". But are you sure the problem is not the probiotics themselves? I say that because personally, I always had terrible pain and felt terrible after probiotics.

undcvr

customprobiotics D-lactate free formula is a good place to start.
Also avoid L.Acidophilus (now also known as L. Gasseri). That species is known to product D form lactic acid
If taking Activia B.Regularis works for you then it means that u need more B strains (large intestines) and not L strains (small intestines).

sianrecovery

thanks undcvr....I looked into the customprobiocs and there does seem to be a uk supplier...not cheap...do you have a reference for the acidophilus producing d lactic acid thing?
do you have any thoughts on the primal defense soil stuff?

richvank

Hi, all.

I have come to the view that it is usually necessary to knock out the unfriendlly bacteria, yeasts and parasites (if present) before building the beneficial flora. If one has the financial resources, I think it is best to run a good comprehensive stool test, such as the Metametrix Complete G.I. Function Profile, to see what's there and what is likely to be effective against it, then to treat it, then to build the beneficial bacteria with probiotics that are suitable to replace what is missing, as Sushi suggested.

If finances do not permit stool testing, one can hope to get lucky by treating with a general herbal bowel remedy, such as the Paradex Herbal Formula or Parastroy, and with Candex or Candidase if yeasts are overgrown. A variety of probiotics could then be tried, with emphasis on high bacterial counts of Bifido and Lactobacillus bacteria. It's really best to do the testing to see what you are up against, though.

As always,. I recommend working with a physician.

Best regards,

Rich

Sushi

Hi, all.

I have come to the view that it is usually necessary to knock out the unfriendlly bacteria, yeasts and parasites (if present) before building the beneficial flora. If one has the financial resources, I think it is best to run a good comprehensive stool test, such as the Metametrix Complete G.I. Function Profile, to see what's there and what is likely to be effective against it, then to treat it, then to build the beneficial bacteria with probiotics that are suitable to replace what is missing, as Sushi suggested.

If finances do not permit stool testing, one can hope to get lucky by treating with a general herbal bowel remedy, such as the Paradex Herbal Formula or Parastroy, and with Candex or Candidase if yeasts are overgrown. A variety of probiotics could then be tried, with emphasis on high bacterial counts of Bifido and Lactobacillus bacteria. It's really best to do the testing to see what you are up against, though.

As always,. I recommend working with a physician.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks! This has been my experience too. I have actually been able to gain weight (even though cutting calories significantly) after this kind of treatment. I had been underweight and eating all the time trying to maintain weight in the few years before.

Note: another good test (especially for those in Europe) is Redlabs Metagenomic stool test. http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/intestinal-dysfunction-assays.php

I counted something like 67 bacteria that it tested.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Lala

Hi Rich,

Thanks! This has been my experience too. I have actually been able to gain weight (even though cutting calories significantly) after this kind of treatment. I had been underweight and eating all the time trying to maintain weight in the few years before.

Note: another good test (especially for those in Europe) is Redlabs Metagenomic stool test. http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/intestinal-dysfunction-assays.php

I counted something like 67 bacteria that it tested.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Yes, but they do not test parasites.

Lala

I think dosage can be big issue here. I was taking probiotics for years with no positive effect, FOS even had negative effect on me, until I found swanson formula with 66 bilions and upped my dose to 130 bilions daily. After that I had significant die off for two days and then very nice improvement in my GI problem.

Sushi

Yes, but they do not test parasites.

True, but I have had a lot of gut testing in the past, and even labs that look for parasites don't reliably find them with stool samples. The best results I had with finding parasites were from taking a scraping from the wall of the rectum as that is where they live. If you "catch them" in a stool sample it is "good luck" but that is not the main place you will find them.

Sushi

Lala

True, but I have had a lot of gut testing in the past, and even labs that look for parasites don't reliably find them with stool samples. The best results I had with finding parasites were from taking a scraping from the wall of the rectum as that is where they live. If you "catch them" in a stool sample it is "good luck" but that is not the main place you will find them.

Sushi
From what I have read I got impression, that intestinal parasites mainly live in small intestine, so scraping rectum will not be very reliable either.