• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

fructose intolerance

sensing progress

Is there a medical test for fructose intolerance? And for those that have this symptom, how do you get your antioxidants? Mostly supplementation?

Tammy

Years ago...........I had a test that showed I had fructose intolerance and I'm afraid I"m not going to be very helpful here............all my paperwork for CFS, research, labs, etc. were destroyed in flood or else i could look up the lab test, etc.
My Doctor at the time was Dr. Jesse Stoff.........the tests he was doing back then were way ahead of their time. He was from your area as a matter of fact.....Tucson.

I get my source of antioxidants from supplementation. I'm assuming you are asking whether or not from supplements or fruit?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Is there a medical test for fructose intolerance? And for those that have this symptom, how do you get your antioxidants? Mostly supplementation?

Yes, there is a breath test. I think you ingest some and then they test what is in your breath about every half hour for about 3 hours. It seems that many are fructose intolerant. I spose everyone has their own way of getting antioxidants.

Sushi

sensing progress

Years ago...........I had a test that showed I had fructose intolerance and I'm afraid I"m not going to be very helpful here............all my paperwork for CFS, research, labs, etc. were destroyed in flood or else i could look up the lab test, etc.
My Doctor at the time was Dr. Jesse Stoff.........the tests he was doing back then were way ahead of their time. He was from your area as a matter of fact.....Tucson.

how long ago was it that you saw this Dr. Jesse Stoff?

Tammy

I saw Dr. Stoff in the late 90's............he was fantastic and one of the most compassionate Dr's I probably will ever meet. He was an immunologist if I remember right and worked alot with patients with CFS and HIV, aids. I am sorry to say that he ended up quiting his practice and went into research only. He wrote a book on CFS years ago..........in the late 80's I think............excellent book ahead of its time. The test by the way that tested fructose intolerance was blood test.

jimells

It's strange, no doctor I have seen has ever shown the slightest interest in my gut problems. Too yucky??

I believe I have fructose intolerance, but have never been tested, will likely never happen. When I found out about it, I quit eating all fructose foods, and also took grapefruit seed extract. It was like a miracle cure - in a few days my gut started getting better. I never would've believed that the grapefruit seed extract would actually do anything. My understanding is that it helps keep the 'wrong' bacteria under control.

After a year of avoiding all fructose foods, I have found that I can now eat apples again. Yay!

The worst is high fructose corn syrup. This stuff is like poison to me. Someday the companies that promote it will be viewed the way tobacco companies are today.

Tammy

Hi Jimells, If yu don't mind me asking..........what kind of gut symptoms were yu experiencing that started getting better after a few days? Interesting about the grapefruit seed extract.....never heard of it helping the gut. Tammy

sensing progress

The worst is high fructose corn syrup. This stuff is like poison to me. Someday the companies that promote it will be viewed the way tobacco companies are today.

Agree 100%! I say that all the time. You know, a couple decades ago the tobacco companies bought up several of the big American processed food companies. I think they figured they needed a new addictive product since tobacco was becoming heavily regulated. High fructose corn syrup is like toxic waste to me. I'm actually glad for the terrible corn crop this year, haha.

GcMAF Australia

Dr Don Lewis had a wife with CFS. He has since established a clinic in Melbourne with an organised protocol, and has many years experience. http://www.cfsdiscovery.com.au/. They will send you a basic information kit.
He collaborates with Dr Meilier in Europe and is knowledgeable about things such as POTS and heart issues. He wants to collaborate with other doctors.
After doing the basic tests and altering the diet ME/CFS patients significantly improve.
The gut bacteria are adjusted such that there is a reduction in gut and digestion problems.

Recently, he has been using GcMAF and MAF 314

99% have food intolerance

60% allergic to fructose
40% allergic to lactose
60% to casein

peggy-sue

I have reservations about "fructose intolerance" the basic problem with fructose is it is a metabolic poison -
nobody should be eating the foul stuff - but particularly PWME - because it depletes us of our precious ATP.
some useful info here;
http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/category/fructose
"The heart scan blog" used to take you to a blog with a really good lecture on how fructose is (not) metabolised.
I have watched it - so I can sum it up.

If you eat fructose with fibre, it's not too much of a problem, because the fibre slows the passage of the stuff through the gut and bacteria digest it for you - so you'll be windy, but safe.
A molecule of fructose in your body, however, will USE UP A WHOLE molecule of ATP, to become converted into very low LDL cholesterol (the very, very bad sort) and it will get deposited around your middle - the very, very worst place to have it.
You get NO energy from fructose, you loose energy because of it. But you do get fat around the middle.

There's a whole load more - it is probably the major cause of the current obesity epidemic, the epidemic of metabolic syndrome and diabetes.

Thanks again, big business, putting profit before folk as always.

Rand56

High fructose corn syrup is also like poison to me. I still suffer from occasional adult acne breakouts and HFCS definitely breaks me out. I avoid it like the plague. Good to see some products you can buy without it added in now, but wish there were more products that didn't add it.

Helen

Hi all,

Yesterday I bought a blender and maid a wonderful big smoothie with only fruits and carrots. Afterwards I got a terrible gut pain and looked pregnant.
Today I was quite OK and after breakfast I maid a smoothie with veggies and a some fresh mango. After this I got really bad. Headache, look pregnant again, gut pain and fatigue. So I searched in this great forum with so much experienced and knowledgeable people. Could this be anything but fructose intolerance? Thankful for any advice.

I found this link about fructose intolerance and lack of folic acid and maybe other vitamin B´s. As all of us here that have been gene tested have defect-s predisposing for folate and/or B12- deficiencies this study seems worth reading.
http://www.clinchem.org/content/45/11/2013.full

globalpilot

You could test it easily by going on a fructose free diet for a week or 2. If that is what it is, the bloating should clear up.

It could also be fermentation.