• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yoga :-)

I recently started doing yoga. I use to do it, but didn't really commit myself to doing it consistently. I've been doing it for about 2months now, learning new poses and such, and I've really noticed a difference in how I feel. I mean, it doesn't fix everything, but I have more energy, am more flexible, and really enjoy/look forward to doing it every morning. After breakfast, I take my mat and medicine ball outside on my back deck and do yoga for about 25 minutes and medicine ball for 20 minutes. I'be been doing medicine ball and weight training in general for about 3 years now and I also find that really beneficial. I'm a 7 functionally and have dysautonomia (not ME) so that also might make a difference, but I was wondering if any other people with dysautonomia and mid-higher functioning ME find yoga beneficial? Perfectly healthy people also talk about how yoga makes them feel better and how much eh enjoy it, so I'd think it has the possibility to benefit anyone?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have been doing yoga since I was 16. During the times when I feel stronger, I do more a more vigorous ashtanga style of yoga. During times when I am weaker/sicker, I do "yin yoga," (mostly forward bends and stretching poses), and restorative yoga--passive relaxation poses.

There are 2 yoga teachers I recommend. The first is Shiva Rea. Her disk YOGA SHAKTI is my favorite, because you can program your own practice each time, to suit your needs at a given moment. Also, it's beautifully filmed and edited, with footage taken on the beach in the Maldives, and has a nice mellow soundtrack to go with the instruction. http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Shakti-Shiva-Rea/dp/1591791847

The other teacher I like a lot is Rodney Yee. I have an old VHS tape of his called Yoga Practice For Strength, which is one of my favorites... tho I don't know if it's available anymore..? I also really like his RELAXATION AND BREATHING FOR MEDITATION dvd. I use this when I feel stressed out. It's very soothing and relaxing. http://www.gaiam.com/product/relaxation and breathing for meditation dvd.do

peggy-sue

I love yoga, but I can't do it any more. Too much arm lifting and that all that sort of impossible stuff.
I can manage "the corpse" these days.
I never managed to cope with the breathing and meditation stuff - I could do the breathing while moving bits, but not the others; it all just drove me nuts with frustration and made me sweaty and horribly uncomfortable.

CJB

I have a serious decades-long crush on Rodney Yee. :love: Just wanted to add that his back and abs series is good. They are both low-energy programs. The one for the back starts sitting on a chair, moves through a few supported (w/chair) standing postures and then a few on the floor.

Also, Yoga Journal has a great website.

I'm down to single, supported stretches that I still do. Sadly, it's no different than any other exercise for me in that regard.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Yeah, Rodney Yee has a very sensual and calming presence, which many find attractive. But that's what ended up getting him in a lot of trouble. :devil: :devil: :devil: He used to teach yoga in Oakland and was very popular there, in fact he had been elevated to an almost saint-like status by his students/devotees... AND THEN he got involved in a couple of lusty affairs with his students, and what a scandal it turned out to be! The New Agers who had previously adored him were ready to tar and feather him and drive him out of town. It ended up that he got divorced, remarried, left the Bay Area, and moved all the way to the other side of the country.

That's the back side of the sainthood for you. :angel: Never as shiny as the front. :p

Ocean

I'm glad to hear it's working so well for you! I wish I liked yoga more. I also find that bending over aggravates my POTS symptoms and yoga has a lot of that too much of that. I prefer Tai Chi/Qi Gong on the rare occasions I "exercise." I don't know if it does anything for my body especially since I do it so rarely and for just a couple minutes but it does feel good while I'm doing it. I love the slow movements and it's much more relaxing to me than yoga.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm glad to hear it's working so well for you! I wish I liked yoga more. I also find that bending over aggravates my POTS symptoms and yoga has a lot of that too much of that. I prefer Tai Chi/Qi Gong on the rare occasions I "exercise." I don't know if it does anything for my body especially since I do it so rarely and for just a couple minutes but it does feel good while I'm doing it. I love the slow movements and it's much more relaxing to me than yoga.

I used to do yoga and was good at it ;)...but I was good at it because I am hypermobile! So, in the end, it caused me problems and I only do a few stretches now. :(

At present, pilates (lying down using machines) works better for me.

Sushi