• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone used magnesium sulfate cream?

Ocean

I still haven't succeeded in finding a doctor to give me magnesium injections. I've been taking small amounts orally throughout the day but can only tolerate, and it seems absorb, very little that way. I do magnesium spray but hate using it. It's messy, gets on my clothes, and irritates my skin tremendously. After a while I begin breaking out with bumps, and skin irritations and can't use it anymore. It's also terribly itchy for me.

Has anyone who's had sensitivity to magnesium spray used the cream with success? I was looking at maybe getting the Kirkman brand one. I hope one day I can try injections but for now still have to try to get magnesium somewhere. I definitely feel the effects when I don't get enough.

Hanna

Yes Ocean, I have been using the kirkman mag sulfate cream without any problem so far. Easy to apply on skin,doesn't leave you itchy, sticky, burning like the mag oil spray. That's my experience.The more I used the mag oil spray, the more I became allergic to it.

Ocean

Yes Ocean, I have been using the kirkman mag sulfate cream without any problem so far. Easy to apply on skin,doesn't leave you itchy, sticky, burning like the mag oil spray. That's my experience.The more I used the mag oil spray, the more I became allergic to it.
Oh that's great news. I actually started getting like little cuts on my skin from using the magnesium spray for a while. It's really encouraging to hear your experience, I'm going to give the cream a try. Thank you

ETA: The only thing I don't like about it is I saw it has parabens in it, which I go out of my way to avoid for health reasons. I'm going to think about it just a bit more because of that. I wish they didn't have that in it

I found one without paraben, not sure if it would be as good as the Kirkman. I like having a personal recommendation for that one. But here's another option without paraben, in case others have the same concern as me about that.
http://www.nbnus.net/shopexd.asp?id=424

Hanna

Thanks for the info Ocean.
I knew that Kirkman contains some paraben. But the other one is made with salicylates, also problematic...
An other option is to make the cream yourself. Dr Myhill's web gives some useful info, but I admit i didn't succeed in getting a cream that is absorbed easily and doesn't itch/burn. And kirkman does the trick for me, so I chosed to continue using it, and I carefuly avoid other sources of parabens.

Sparrow

I would recommend trying watering down the magnesium spray. I had terrible itch and irritation from mine, but cut half and half with water it's pretty much fine. I do 1/3 magnesium and 2/3 water just to make problems even less likely.

I also found that Ecoideas magnesium spray didn't burn or itch at all. Much gentler on me than the others (though definitely also more expensive).

I've been doing the watered down spray and an epsom salts bath once a week, and it's been going okay. Sufficient to keep away the crazy muscle tremmors I get when I don't have enough.

Ocean

Thanks for the info Ocean.
I knew that Kirkman contains some paraben. But the other one is made with salicylates, also problematic...
An other option is to make the cream yourself. Dr Myhill's web gives some useful info, but I admit i didn't succeed in getting a cream that is absorbed easily and doesn't itch/burn. And kirkman does the trick for me, so I chosed to continue using it, and I carefuly avoid other sources of parabens.
Oh no, there's always something harmful it seems! Now I have to go look up salicylates and see which one sounds more problematic that or parabens.

ETA: I couldn't find what the concern would be about salicylates in lotion, can you tell me? Thank you so much.

ETAA: Okay I dug around more and read about someone actually dying or going into a coma or something from salicylates in cream. So, I'm definitely rethinking that brand, especially given how much magnesium I seem to need. I found one other that doesn't seem to have the parebens or salicylates. Maybe I'll try that first, then Kirkman if I'm not happy with that one.
http://www.ancient-minerals.com/products/magnesium-lotion/#

Ocean

I would recommend trying watering down the magnesium spray. I had terrible itch and irritation from mine, but cut half and half with water it's pretty much fine. I do 1/3 magnesium and 2/3 water just to make problems even less likely.

I also found that Ecoideas magnesium spray didn't burn or itch at all. Much gentler on me than the others (though definitely also more expensive).

I've been doing the watered down spray and an epsom salts bath once a week, and it's been going okay. Sufficient to keep away the crazy muscle tremmors I get when I don't have enough.
Thanks for the recommendation. If cream doesn't do it for me I'll give that spray a try. The brand I've been using is Ancient Minerals I think. I'm desperate! My levels must be really low because unless I pile on the spray all day long I have restless leg, trouble sleeping and staying asleep, and anxiety. This is mainly when I'm on vitamin D, without vit D I don't seem to need nearly as much magnesium.

Adster

It's pretty much just like water. Not oily or anything. Maybe a bit salty like seawater when that dries on your skin.

Sparrow

I feel like your current spray is probably pretty highly concentrated if it's feeling "greasy" or messy at all. Mine is pretty much like water, except that it dries out my hands more. Maybe a less concentrated spray over a larger body area would help? Hope you find one that works well for you. I know how much of a positive difference mine makes.

Hanna

Ocean, I remember that Dr Stephanie Seneff said that salicylates interfere with sulfur metabolism, better to avoid. I am sorry that I don't recall the details.

Ocean

Thank you everyone for the tips and info.
Hanna I decided to avoid the one with salicylates, thank you for the warning.
Sparrow I ordered the cream but if that isn't doing it for me I will definitely try your spray next. Do you know how many sprays equals how much mag.? The one I have is 8 sprays=100mg.
Adster Thanks. If the lotion I got doesn't do the job I may get the liquid. The one I have is the only one I've tried so it sounds like other products out there may be much less irritating and messy. Thank you!

Adster

Good luck Ocean. That one I linked to seems to work better than any other magnesium I've tried, including making my own liquid from dissolved magnesium chloride flakes. I have no idea why it would be different, but it really seems to be.

Sparrow

It doesn't say how much is in there. Sorry. The bottle does specifically say non-staining, absorbent, and food-grade. ...But no amount.

I'm not sure if it's less potent, or just made differently than the magnesium oils I've tried, but whatever dose is in there it seems to be significant enough to get the job done. I definitely notice the difference.

I do magnesium oil watered down right now, because it's cheaper and I needed to cut some things down. Not nearly as good as the Ecoideas stuff, though. I miss it. :(

Ocean

Thanks Sparrow and Adster. I haven't gotten the one I ordered yet but if it doesn't do the job the ones you each recommend will be next on my list. I hope I soon find one that will work for me. I'll update here.

Seadragon

Epsom salt baths work really well for me - I also found the Mag Oil irritating to the skin - I'd never heard of the cream though so will see if it is available in the UK.

I was desperately deficient in Magnesium and found an immediate difference with the Epsom baths - I pour two to three cups in and always feel better after. They don't irritate my skin at all (a tiny bit "down there" (sorry) at first but nothing like the oil) - in fact I think they have improved my skin and they help a lot with aching sore and stiff muscles, neuropathic pain and for stress/relaxation.

Love Esperanza x

Ocean

Thanks Esperanza, I can't really tolerate the Epsom baths unfortunately, I did try it in the past. Just received my cream today so I'll update here later on how I do when I try it soon. I hope it's available in the UK if you decide to try it.