• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone on the Thorne Basic V?

juniemarie

I switched from the Yasko Neurological Health Formula multi to the Thorne about 2 weeks ago when Rich posted his thoughts about a possible change in his protocol. I had been on Rich's protocol for a little over a year and was doing pretty well on it. I do remember a few rough days when I added in the folates but it finally smoothed out.
Right away after starting the Thorne I became very gloomy. I don't know if my body is missing something that was in the Yasko but not in the Thorne or if something in the Thorne does not agree with me. I have had a couple of good days but mostly mild depression. I'm trying to hang with it just in case I am going through a period of adjustment.
I am taking 2 a day just like with the Yasko multi.
What are others experiencing from the change in the multi? Anyone familiar with both multi's have any ideas about my reaction?

I had worked up to 2+2 of the Thorne V and wasn't feeling particularly good on it. I'm working with a functional medicine guy who took me off of it, favoring supp of just the things I need instead of shot-gun approach with MV. I've gone back and forth between those two approaches for a year. It's so hard to afford all of the individual nutrients, let alone remember to take all of it, but I never feel very good on MVs and, of course, I have no idea why because there are so many things that I could be reacting to. I'm not arguing that no one should use MVs or Thorne V, just reporting how I feel on it which wasn't good - not just gloomy but brain fog, muscles sore/inflamed and fatigued, i.e., like always, but worse. I have been feeling better (although not today) following this new regimen that forgoes the MV and that focuses pretty hard core on gut health and rebuilding.

Jason

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I had recently switched from a generic Vitacost brand to the new version of Ultra Preventative X by Douglas Labs which has only Metfolin for folate and mthylcobalmin for B-12. For B-6 it has a combination of P5P/Pyridoxine HCI and it has 1400 mg of Vit. C in a complex. It also had 1000 i.u. of Vit D3. A lot of it's minerals are chelate form or Krebs. It has a pretty substantial food base to it and it is "Magnesium Sterate Free".

The only thing that I thought might be a little high was the Vit. A at 15,000 i.u. (33% of Palmitate and 67% of Natural Beta Carotene) from D. Salina with full spectrum carotenoids (I'm not even sure what this means)

It has natural Vit. E, but is only d-Alpha tocopheryl w/ mixed tocophenols

If your interested and start looking on the internet for it, just make sure it is new version did not have Metfolin or methylcobalmin plus quite a few other differences.

It is like the other good MV in that the normal dosage is 6/day, but I cut it to 4/day and I was taking just a couple of singles and I've got to say that over about 6 weeks I was in an improved state, but it could have been just the waxing and waning of the disease.

I'm still figuring it out but it includes things like supps to boost immunoglobins, specific probiotics (lactobicillus) to address deficiency noted in my functional labs, butyrate, also to address gut health, and topical pregnenolone and curcumin to address inflammation. And I'm taking vit A, D, B5 (for adrenals) and a bunch of individual minerals that I'm not getting in a MV or MM anymore - like mag and potassium. It really is too early to tell, but I immediately felt better after going off the Thorne - not so dragged out and depressed every morning after taking it.

juniemarie

I notice there are several things in the Yasko that are not in the Thorne. Could be my body needs them. One of them is TMG which I understand it can help in production of several brain chemicals. Think I will go back to the Yasko MV and see if I feel better.
jasrich How many Thorne MV were you taking?
If I am getting this strong of a reaction only taking 2 can't imagine what 6 would be like...........but like I said, it may not be so much about what the Thorne is doing but what was in the Yasko thats not in the Thorne thats my particular problem....who the heck knows
Other symptoms since the Thorne.......extreme sweating in the middle of the night especially on my neck and chest, headaches,which I am not prone to, and extreme fatigue ........

I'm still figuring it out but it includes things like supps to boost immunoglobins, specific probiotics (lactobicillus) to address deficiency noted in my functional labs, butyrate,
It's strange that you are deficient in lactobacillus - we (the kid and I) are also. Do you have histamine sensitivity too? Oxilates problem?

Lotus97

I've been trying to figure out what's so special about Yasko's Neurological Health Formula since Rich recommends it for his methylation protocol. It seems to be very low doses of everything. The only thing I see that draws my attention is the intrinsic factor and 5 Free Form Nucleotide Complex. If this is the reason, could someone explain why one or both of these are important and how they work. Also, if there is anything else I'm missing, I'd like to know.

I noticed a full dose of Thorne's Basic V has 500 mcg folinic acid and 500 mcg methylfolate. This could cause problems for some people especially if they're already taking B12.

juniemarie

After almost 3 weeks on Thorne I finally switched back to Yasko's multi and with in 3 days all my bad symptoms were gone. I did not do well on the Thorne so I'm glad Rich decided to go back to the Yasko multi. Got very depressed.
Could have been something in the Yasko that my body needed that was not in the Thorne or something in the Thorne that my body did not respond well to.........dont know which.