• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why there's no one hit wonder

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
After watching this you will see there are many causes of fatigue that can occurr in us, although i think with cfs/me we are more immune/infection related, i think this puts other things out of whack which are mentioned in the video. I think if one has a partial response to a certain treatment i think they need to hold onto that but also keep persuing other issues. I think with us when one thing go's wrong it can put us in a viscious cycle. This is why i think cfs/me is so hard to treat and why the average doctor has problems with treatments, because prozac isnt a one hit wonder.

My experience is that going after infections has helped alot but sorting adrenal hormones, antioxidants, sleep etc etc all have apart in improving my function. Im now looking into thyroid as i have a constant low body temp under 36c, maybe a T3/reverse T3 problem but also optimising dhea/pregnenolone/cortisol can also improve thyroid function??

cheers!!!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
For me, it takes a lot of supplements. Hormones, thyroid, Mitochondria supplements, antioxidents, diet, etc. So many things work together. The improvement is quite something.

SaraM

And diet, too. I do not get any benefit from mito supplements when I have a feeling mito problem is the root cause of my illness.

alex3619

Hmmm, they covered immunity but missed one - autoimmune disease, or self targeting antibodies. They also missed out on something simple: almost (?) every disease causes fatigue. Its a universal sign of something wrong, but doesn't tell us what is wrong by itself. ATP is the universal energy currency, fatigue and pain are the two primary warning signs of problems. However, they did cover a good basic checklist of where to start, which is impressive in under seven minutes. Has anyone watched the longer version they mentioned?

Bye, Alex

ukxmrv

There may be groups that would respond to a "one hit wonder" but we don't yet know what it is. I think that other patient groups over the years must have felt like this. Then there was a breakthrough.

Certainly when I was first sick (acute viral onset) little was known about the immune system. There were few treatments. Now we have more and finally after decades I've responded to a few things.

We only have treatments for HIV/AIDS because millions were thrown at it. The causes for fatigue might be different for every fatiguing disease with cures which we don't know about yet. I have acute onset viral ME so don't really think of it as fatigue.

There may be root causes for all the abnormalities we are tinkering with. Hopefully some day we will know what they are and how to cure them.

svetoslav80

They also missed out on something simple: almost (?) every disease causes fatigue.
I'm not 100% sure but, from my observation one and the same disease may, or may not cause fatigue in different people, which is also another interesting thing to think over.

alex3619

I'm not 100% sure but, from my observation one and the same disease may, or may not cause fatigue in different people, which is also another interesting thing to think over.

Hi svetoslav80, diseases tend to cause fatigue but not always noticable fatigue. A mild cold might only get you sneezing, but if it worsens the fatigue becomes noticable. So fatigue is not a universal symptom in the sense of every patient, but I think it might be in the sense of every disease (possibly weird psychobabble excepted). Very mild disease is not likely to cause noticable fatigue. I wonder though if severe disease of any kind could occur without either fatigue or pain? Bye, Alex

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
There may be groups that would respond to a "one hit wonder" but we don't yet know what it is. I think that other patient groups over the years must have felt like this. Then there was a breakthrough.

Certainly when I was first sick (acute viral onset) little was known about the immune system. There were few treatments. Now we have more and finally after decades I've responded to a few things.

We only have treatments for HIV/AIDS because millions were thrown at it. The causes for fatigue might be different for every fatiguing disease with cures which we don't know about yet. I have acute onset viral ME so don't really think of it as fatigue.

There may be root causes for all the abnormalities we are tinkering with. Hopefully some day we will know what they are and how to cure them.

Your probably right in that we dont know what we are trying to hit, but i think for those who have been ill for awhile and say rituximab is the one hit wonder, it going to definately help but i think some are going to have ongoing issues that need attention just because of the ongoing stress for so long with this illness eg metabolic syndrome, adrenal fatigue etc

richvank

Hi, Heaps.]​
Thanks for posting the video. I think that Dr. Bryan Walsh did a very nice job of covering all the things that cause problems for the mitochondria, in a very short time. In ME/CFS I would say that most of them do happen, but that the thing that's behind the whole onslaught is the vicious circle mechanism that starts with glutathione depletion (which allows several of the things he mentioned to become problems, including reactive oxygen species, toxins and immune dysfunction) and involves a functional B12 deficiency (which directly impacts the MMA pathway in the mitochondria) and a partial block in the methylation cycle (which deprives the mitos of several substances it needs, such as Co Q10 and carnitine). I believe that that is what ties it all together in ME/CFS. The fact that treating to correct this vicious circle is helping many PWMEs to feel better is evidence that this is a basic issue, in my opinion.​
Best regards,​
Rich​