• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D dosing - weekly or daily?

Vitamin d toxicity seems only to occur if taken for a sustained period of time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Toxicity). It would stand to reason that if you plused higher doses that averaged out to be within limits, you would be find.

Does anyone take high does once or twice a week oppose to daily?

I ask as it works out cheaper to buy a high concerted supplement and take less often (i.e. Thorne 25,000 UI). Not to mention less hassle and less stress on the stomach (my stomach freaks out at every supplement).

If a doc prescribes vit D, it's usually weekly.

Online I see discussion of 50,000 IU a week causing side effects.

I'm taking 8000 IU a day.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If a doc prescribes vit D, it's usually weekly.

Online I see discussion of 50,000 IU a week causing side effects.

I'm taking 8000 IU a day.

A prescription for Vid D (at least in the US) is Vit D2, not 3. Maybe that is why they prescribe 50,000 iu. 5000 a day of D3, brought up my levels (before I was taking GcMAF), but sustaining that dose drove them too high.

Sushi

Ema

A prescription for Vid D (at least in the US) is Vit D2, not 3.

I got a prescription for 50,000 IU of D3 in the US when I first started taking it. I took it once a week and then switched to a daily, nonprescription strength as it was cheaper.

xks201

Just to give you an idea....My vit d was bottomed out. After like 3 months of supplementing with probably close to 20,000ius per day liquid it was mid range. If you took like 6,000 IUs per week I doubt it would ever raise, lol.

*GG*

Vitamin d toxicity seems only to occur if taken for a sustained period of time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D#Toxicity). It would stand to reason that if you plused higher doses that averaged out to be within limits, you would be find.

Does anyone take high does once or twice a week oppose to daily?

I ask as it works out cheaper to buy a high concerted supplement and take less often (i.e. Thorne 25,000 UI). Not to mention less hassle and less stress on the stomach (my stomach freaks out at every supplement).

I've taken this one before: http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-5-000-IU-360-Softgels/18335 and it worked well. I also have taken the Swanson brand, and it works well. I think one of the most important thing is to get it in gel form, not the powder. I have been using both, and the powdered form is much less effective. Dr. Mercola says to get it naturally, supposed to be the best form, for some reason I cannot remember. Research it.

GG