• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Comorbidity Poll / Survey

svetoslav80

Well not exactly survey, as there can be only 1 question, and depending on your answer you may get 1 or 2 additional questions. This survay aims to determine how many of us have/don't have a comorbid fatiguing disorder together with ME/CFS and whether these disorders have relation.
To the Survey
To the Results

Enid

Interesting Poll svetoslav. I know my ME lead to the other. (poll done)

Enid

Of course svetoslav. My ME clearly lead to Osteoporosis/Osteoarthritis - both additionally tiring. Done again - hope it fits in correctly. One thing (pathologies ME lead to others).

valentinelynx

I have a problem with the poll. Technically, i have fibromyalgia as well as ME/CFS, which is to say that I meet the criteria for both syndromes. However, I consider the symptoms cluster called "fibromyalgia" to be a subset of my ME/CFS symptoms, not a separate "fatiguing" illness. That is to say, the "fatigue" is one symptom, pain is another, along with other things like new onset allergies (none prior to ME/CFS onset), PEM, and others. So, I wouldn't say I have CFS AND FMS, but rather that part of my ME/CFS syndrome is widespread musculoskeletal pain. On the other hand, if I had, say, sleep apnea (definitely a "fatiguing" illness), I would not consider that to be a subset of the ME symptoms, because it is not a definitive part of the syndrome, while widespread pain is part of some diagnostic criteria for diagnosing ME/CFS. I hope I'm explaining this cogently enough!

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
in my case, my "other" post me/cfs illness is the result of a treatment . Point being that the before/after me/cfs isn't neccesarily connected in the way one might think. don't think I explained this well but,........
oh crap major lightening and thunder...... gotta go !

svetoslav80

I have a problem with the poll. Technically, i have fibromyalgia as well as ME/CFS, which is to say that I meet the criteria for both syndromes. However, I consider the symptoms cluster called "fibromyalgia" to be a subset of my ME/CFS symptoms, not a separate "fatiguing" illness. That is to say, the "fatigue" is one symptom, pain is another, along with other things like new onset allergies (none prior to ME/CFS onset), PEM, and others. So, I wouldn't say I have CFS AND FMS, but rather that part of my ME/CFS syndrome is widespread musculoskeletal pain. On the other hand, if I had, say, sleep apnea (definitely a "fatiguing" illness), I would not consider that to be a subset of the ME symptoms, because it is not a definitive part of the syndrome, while widespread pain is part of some diagnostic criteria for diagnosing ME/CFS. I hope I'm explaining this cogently enough!
Thank you for posting in my humble thread. What makes you believe that your fibromialgya is a subset of ME/CFS, and not the other way round - you have a subset of fibromyalgia, causing CFS (because , as far as I know, there are cases of fibromyalgia, where fatigue is missing, and one only have pain)?

barbc56

I have had several comorbid condions, most after I developed me/cfs but they are resolved. How should I answer this. Thanks. Interesting Poll.
Barb C.:>)

Xandoff

Michael
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to complete the poll. I had severe neck pain that was handled by VIOXX before my ME CFS. VIOXX gave me an Ulcer and things went downhill from there. I had a cervical disectomy with fusion and my pain got worse and eventually settled into my back and spine. My surgery I believe launched my ME CFS into orbit. Chronic Pain is the worst part of my illness with faitugue and neuro-cognitive issues a close second. I have spinal stenosis and artritis and some DDD. ;)

svetoslav80

I have had several comorbid condions, most after I developed me/cfs but they are resolved. How should I answer this. Thanks. Interesting Poll.
Barb C.:>)
As they are resolved, maybe you should answer that you have CFS only (and therefore you won't be asked additional questions)

svetoslav80

This research says that "chronically fatiguing illnesses were associated with high rates of many other clinical conditions" - fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivities, temporomandibular disorder, interstitial cystitis, postconcussion syndrome, tension headache, chronic low back pain, chronic pelvic pain (women), and chronic nonbacterial prostatitis (men). But they don't mention CFS, just chronic fatigue.

valentinelynx

Thank you for posting in my humble thread. What makes you believe that your fibromialgya is a subset of ME/CFS, and not the other way round - you have a subset of fibromyalgia, causing CFS (because , as far as I know, there are cases of fibromyalgia, where fatigue is missing, and one only have pain)?

I had the other symptoms (unable to do normal activities due to feeling faint, cardiovascular overload with previously normal exercise, sore throats, strange visual and cognitive problems, new onset of allergies and other things I'm sure I don't recall after 19 years) of "CFS" for 2 years before I had any fibromyalgia type symptoms (e.g. muscle or joint pain). Fibromyalgia is a common comorbidity of many autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and SLE. Perhaps it is also something that tags along with whatever ME/CFS is as well.

svetoslav80

I had the other symptoms (unable to do normal activities due to feeling faint, cardiovascular overload with previously normal exercise, sore throats, strange visual and cognitive problems, new onset of allergies and other things I'm sure I don't recall after 19 years) of "CFS" for 2 years before I had any fibromyalgia type symptoms (e.g. muscle or joint pain). Fibromyalgia is a common comorbidity of many autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and SLE. Perhaps it is also something that tags along with whatever ME/CFS is as well.
I see. These are facts which I didn't know. I think you should answer that you had the fatiguing disorder (fibromyalgia) after you had CFS. CFS may be a risk factor for fibromyalgia or, as you say, they can be one and the same disorder, but this is something which this poll can't determine anyway.