• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

MNC

Yes, I read that book when it came out. Based on Pimentel's ideas, I got my first successful treatment for IBS-D in 2007, if I am not mistaken. However, these are no longer Pimentel's ideas. At the end of 2011, rifaximin was established via clinical trial as an effective treatment for IBS-D: Rifaximin therapy for patients with irritable bowel syndrome without constipation.

I have had IBS-like illness for ages but never had constipation in my life.

In the past months, my digestive disease has become wild, with sudden stabbing pain in the epigastric region, huge bloating, extreme nausea, inability to breath, vasovagal reaction, diarrhea, hemorroids, vomiting and even three times passing out for syncope. Been to hospital emergencies three times already as I was just dying. They were insecure about the reason, suggesting gastritis for my awful diet, IBS, gallbladder disease (I have a huge stone there 3cm big)... but not certain.

Amazing hell, happening more and more often.

So I started a healthier diet, avoiding fats, sugars, meats, gluten, etc.

It has got a bit better, but now I have constipation for the first time in my life. The rectum feels totally blocked. When I push I feel very dizzy. When I finally make it, it can be hard as stones. I sratrted drinking a lot and then I got a combination of hard (beginning) and diarrhea (final part). My hands feel super dehydrated, with wrinkles as if I had a hot bath.

So, I went to my doctor and asked for Rifaximin prescriptions. She agreed and gave them to me. I still have to buy it. But now I have doubts because I read here that Rifaximin is only when you DON'T HAVE constipation.

Do you know what I should do?

Thanks.

MNC

I believe the "standard" treatment for constipation is a rifaximin plus neomycin combo. There is more info here: http://www.siboinfo.com/antibiotics.html

Good luck!

Thanks!

But see:

• Rifaximin may be used for all cases of SIBO. There are 3 excellent dose options currently reported.
  • Neomycin is effective for constipation cases and is used in addition to Rifaximin, as double Abx therapy. Metronidazole is an effective alternative to Neomycin, currently under study at Cedars-Sinai.
  • If alternating diarrhea is present with constipation, the use of Rifaximin alone has been suggested.

So since I have constipation alternating with diarrhea, maybe I should take it alone.

I
So, I went to my doctor and asked for Rifaximin prescriptions. She agreed and gave them to me. I still have to buy it. But now I have doubts because I read here that Rifaximin is only when you DON'T HAVE constipation.

Do you know what I should do?

Thanks.

I have constipation dominant IBS. I remember doing Pimental's protocol when his book first came out. I can not remember if I took the Rifamaxin alone or in the combo like Nanonug says.

The point is Rifamaxin definitely did not harm me or make the constipation worse. I remember a slight improvement during the treatment then it went back to normal.

I sometimes wonder if I should try it again but I can not obtain Rifamaxin here easily. My cr*ppy gastros refused to give to it to me unless I underwent some useless bowel motility tests to prove I am not lying about constipation or in their words "get objective evidence...we must go through the procedure". (Why they can't just listen to the patient - I can't imagine anyone wanting to exaggerate or make these symptoms.) They also also put all sorts of barriers up like having to try biofeedback and repeating other tests. I gave up on them and had to get hold of Rifamaxin illegally by begging someone in the USA to secretly post it into the country for me as a favour. Rifamaxin did me no harm - and I haven't heard of bad reactions from anyone else with constipation who tried it.

I very strongly recommend you grab the opportunity to try it.

MNC

I have constipation dominant IBS. I remember doing Pimental's protocol when his book first came out. I can not remember if I took the Rifamaxin alone or in the combo like Nanonug says.

The point is Rifamaxin definitely did not harm me or make the constipation worse. I remember a slight improvement during the treatment then it went back to normal.

I sometimes wonder if I should try it again but I can not obtain Rifamaxin here easily. My cr*ppy gastros refused to give to it to me unless I underwent some useless bowel motility tests to prove I am not lying about constipation or in their words "get objective evidence...we must go through the procedure". (Why they can't just listen to the patient - I can't imagine anyone wanting to exaggerate or make these symptoms.) They also also put all sorts of barriers up like having to try biofeedback and repeating other tests. I gave up on them and had to get hold of Rifamaxin illegally by begging someone in the USA to secretly post it into the country for me as a favour. Rifamaxin did me no harm - and I haven't heard of bad reactions from anyone else with constipation who tried it.

I very strongly recommend you grab the opportunity to try it.

Thanks a lot.

How long have you had constipation? For me it is something new, coming after extremely severe colics, fainting... and specially after 12 days of some antibiotic the doctor gave me for my sinusitis-like awful pain.

I am on very strict diet and although the colics have gone by now and diarrheas have diminished, this constipation and gas all the time is also terrible (and new to me). I really wonder if that antibiotic brought it. Could it be? He said it was a very strong one, so maybe my flora is gone and therefore I have constipation?

Thanks again.