• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shilajit attenuates behavioral symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome by modulating the hp axis

adreno

PR activist
Interesting, but I would like to know how shilajit works long term. Things that stimulate the HPA axis have a habit of only working for a short period of time, before the HPAA adapts.

Bob

I think they are confusing general fatigue with CFS

Yes, it looks like the rats just have general fatigue. They are physically stressed. Physically exhausted at worst.

And I don't really see how it's possible diagnose a rat with CFS anyway, because you can't ask them about muscle and joint pain, headaches, unrefreshing sleep or sore throats etc. :confused: o_O :rolleyes:

I've never heard 'shilajit' before, so I looked it up on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilajit
It seems like a bizarre substance... It's a naturally occuring mineral substance that "seeps from cracks in mountains"! :eek:
It looks like there have been quite a number of research papers on it.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Chronic exercise is a fairly common "trigger" in CFS animal studies. At best it mimics overtraining syndrome which may have vague similarities, but I wouldn't put much stock in such studies for CFS. Other methods I've read about include introducing a pathogen or toxin. ScienceDaily.com recently posted an article about a new development in understanding the biology of depression, which also discusses the inadequacies of behavioural measurements in lab animals (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711134714.htm).

wdb

Chronic exercise is a fairly common "trigger" in CFS animal studies. At best it mimics overtraining syndrome which may have vague similarities, but I wouldn't put much stock in such studies for CFS. Other methods I've read about include introducing a pathogen or toxin. ScienceDaily.com recently posted an article about a new development in understanding the biology of depression, which also discusses the inadequacies of behavioural measurements in lab animals (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711134714.htm).

Yes overtraining syndrome would be a much better description. Whatever those rats had it wasn't chronic, they would have recovered by resting regardless of treatment.

Still at least no weasels were involved :)

Desdinova

That's not CFS nor is it ME that's CF via Over-training. The people who keep doing these garbage studies are either biased, ignorant and need a Super Giant Billboard Spelling out exactly what CFS is and isn't or both.