• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MY MALE HORMONE PROBLEMS, BLOOD WORK HELP

hi every one my name is ali and im from the uk.

i have been having alot of problems from weight gain to constipation and i have virtually no libido im only 21.

i have got blood work done and my doctor says everything is fine and i am stressed, i am not stressed and i blame my self for being really lazy and putting on a lot of weight over the year and being lazy with no job has caused me hormonal problems can some one please have a look at these results, and tell me whats happening, i would really appreciate it thank you.

p.s i have not done any steroids or anything like that.

serum prolactin level (xaelx) - 570 mu/l
serum oestradiol (4465) - 97 pmol/L
serum testosterone (xe2dr) - 10.0 nmol/L

serum LH level - 1.8 u/l
serum follicle stimulating hormone - 2.3 u/L
serum tsh - 3.3 mu/L

Ema

Hi Ali -

Do you have the ranges for the tests? This can help those with more understanding of male hormone levels interpret the results. You might wish to post them along with your results, if so.

I will say that with typical ranges, your TSH is too high in my non-medical opinion and indicates some degree of hypothyroidism which could definitely have an impact on your weight (and constipation). I would consider having FT4 and FT3 tested at a minimum to see what those levels look like as well to see if a trial of thyroid meds might be in order.

http://nahypothyroidism.org/how-accurate-is-tsh-testing/

Good luck!

Hi Ali -

Do you have the ranges for the tests? This can help those with more understanding of male hormone levels interpret the results. You might wish to post them along with your results, if so.

I will say that with typical ranges, your TSH is too high in my non-medical opinion and indicates some degree of hypothyroidism which could definitely have an impact on your weight (and constipation). I would consider having FT4 and FT3 tested at a minimum to see what those levels look like as well to see if a trial of thyroid meds might be in order.

http://nahypothyroidism.org/how-accurate-is-tsh-testing/

Good luck!
hi thanks for the reply, here are the reference ranges, and can someone please compare them with my results at the top, theses problems started when i had a lot of weigh gain and now a year later no libido weigh gain and constipation thanks.

prolactin (60.0 - 620.0)
oestradiol - (male ref <146 pmol/L)
testosterone - (8.0 - 27.0)
serum LH - 1 - 9 u/L
fsh - 1 - 10 U/L
tsh - 0.2 - 4.0

xks201

I am an expert at male hormone replacement therapy. I suggest you test SHBG which determines your free testosterone level. The bottom level of the reference range in total testosterone is not a good place to be. You need to be at least mid range. I suggest contacting a hormone replacement doctor over there and getting on testosterone injections asap. Also monitor the estrogen level and if it goes up ask for an anti estrogen...start low on the dose of anti estrogen. That should lower your prolactin as well.

nanonug

weight gain
no libido
really lazy
serum prolactin level (xaelx) - 570 mu/l

Has anyone ever told you you may have ADHD? Do you have trouble focusing on tasks and finishing what you start?

Your prolactin levels are borderline high, suggesting low dopamine levels. Low dopamine levels may very well lead to weight gain, lack of libido and lack of motivation. Low dopamine levels are thought to be associated with ADHD.

Ema

hi thanks for the reply, here are the reference ranges, and can someone please compare them with my results at the top, theses problems started when i had a lot of weigh gain and now a year later no libido weigh gain and constipation thanks.

prolactin (60.0 - 620.0)
oestradiol - (male ref <146 pmol/L)
testosterone - (8.0 - 27.0)
serum LH - 1 - 9 u/L
fsh - 1 - 10 U/L
tsh - 0.2 - 4.0

Thanks for posting the ranges.

I am not a male hormone expert but I do have a lot of personal experience with thyroid problems. If it were me, I would find a doctor that understood that the TSH is not a good test to measure hypothyroid and that the range is way too wide here as well. The accepted reference range here is 0.3-3. All of the symptoms you mention can result from untreated hypothyroidism.

I would agree that testosterone in a 21 year old should be well above the bottom of the range. But I'm not certain that simply replacing testosterone is the best option given your age. Replacing T can shut down your own production and may cause testes to atrophy. This is not a big deal in older men as their reproductive years are finished generally when they begin treatment. But it may be a big deal for you and is something to consider.

If I were you, I would want to know WHY the levels were low (again low T levels are often found in hypothyroid patients) and try to treat that first rather than the end products.

Here is another website that may help:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Also, you may wish to look at Dr Crisler's website for more information on male hormone replacement:

http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-All-Things-Male

taniaaust1

I too think you need your free testosterone tested rather then the testosterone test you had which isnt no where near as accurate. You could be abnormally low if your free testosterone is tested.

xks201

Inflammation is also a good cause of ADHD...in addition to calcium ion flow derangement.