• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut poll

Were gut symptoms your first symptom?

• Total voters

cigana

I'm interested in how much the gut originally contributes to the pathogenesis of this disease

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thing is, no gut symptoms doesn't mean no gut problems. :confused: I had to check no symptoms but good gut tests show a lot of gut problems. You can have dysbiosis, infections etc. without symptoms. Who knows how long the problems have been there--I wouldn't have known about them without testing.

Sushi

Aileen

Well now, I'm not sure how to answer this. The gut problems I've had post-illness came on after other symptoms however, I have had a chronic constipation problem since infancy. The type of gut issues just changed after I got M.E.

Nielk

I would think though that most people who would be attracted to this poll are people who have problems with this issue.

cigana

I would think though that most people who would be attracted to this poll are people who have problems with this issue.
I agree, it's the problem with all polls on this site, but at least we get an idea of what percentage had them as their first symptom (as opposed to later on).

cigana

Well now, I'm not sure how to answer this. The gut problems I've had post-illness came on after other symptoms however, I have had a chronic constipation problem since infancy. The type of gut issues just changed after I got M.E.
Hi Aileen, I would say that your gut symptom came first, in that case, since I would class chronic constipation as a symptom for sure. CHeers.

cigana

Thing is, no gut symptoms doesn't mean no gut problems. :confused: I had to check no symptoms but good gut tests show a lot of gut problems. You can have dysbiosis, infections etc. without symptoms. Who knows how long the problems have been there--I wouldn't have known about them without testing.

Sushi
Yes, interesting isn't it! I often wonder if dysbiosis is the single unifying factor in all of us (not saying it is definitely the cause). A prominent CFS doctor told me virtually all of his patients had gut symptoms first.

Enid

Must add that although I've polled "after" I should mention that any problem only really became noticeable then - vertigos came sometime before what seemed like motility issues.

Sparrow

I had no sign at all of gut problems before that initial sudden post-viral drop.

But they definitely appeared in force before this most recent, more gradual plummet.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Mine came on with all my other symptoms during the initial post viral drop, but they went away when I switched to a paleo-type diet. That's not to say they won't return, but they're gone for now.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Mine came on with all my other symptoms during the initial post viral drop, but they went away when I switched to a paleo-type diet. That's not to say they won't return, but they're gone for now.

What about your other symptoms - have they improved too?