• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is 16,000 mcg methylfolate too much ?

I've been on the active protocol 6 weeks and had progress in some areas. I'm currently taking 2,000 mcg mb12 per day with at least 16,000 mcg L-methylfolate (20 x 800mcg Metafolin). If I take a lesser amount (e.g. 12,000 mcg) I get IBS symptoms and angular cheilitis fairly quickly. I'm taking about 4,000 mg / day of potassium.

Is anyone else taking such a large dose of Metafolin ? I haven't heard of anyone needing such a large ratio of Metafolin to mb12. Could it mean I am overdriving something or making some mistake ?

Is anyone using the Metabolic Maintenance brand of L-methylfolate 10 mg capsules ?

Any comments welcome ....

nanonug

IIs anyone else taking such a large dose of Metafolin?

I am taking 6mg/day which is quite a large amount already. However, Deplin "people" also take 15mg/day for depression so it's not like you are doing something unheard of.

I haven't heard of anyone needing such a large ratio of Metafolin to mb12. Could it mean I am overdriving something or making some mistake?

With these large amounts of methylfolate, you are probably not stimulating methylation as much as you are stimulating the "reverse" MTHFR function, regenerating tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) in the process. This is where you are probably getting your therapeutic benefit from.

Is anyone using the Metabolic Maintenance brand of L-methylfolate 10 mg capsules?

I have a strong suspicion that that particular brand doesn't use pure L-methylfolate but also includes D-methylfolate. For this reason, I stay away from that particular one. I take Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg.

richvank

Hi, hoops.

I would suggest running the Health Diagnostics methylation pathways panel and at least a urine organic acids panel, such as the Genova Diagnostics MAP or the Metametrix Organix panel to see what is going on. If it's feasible for you to do a complete metabolic biochemistry profile such as the Metametrix ION profile with 40 plasma amino acids together with the methylation pathways panel, that would nail things down even better. That's a lot of methylfolate for treating ME/CFS.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi, hoops.

I would suggest running the Health Diagnostics methylation pathways panel and at least a urine organic acids panel, such as the Genova Diagnostics MAP or the Metametrix Organix panel to see what is going on. If it's feasible for you to do a complete metabolic biochemistry profile such as the Metametrix ION profile with 40 plasma amino acids together with the methylation pathways panel, that would nail things down even better. That's a lot of methylfolate for treating ME/CFS.

Best regards,

Rich
Thanks Rich, will do.

dannybex

You may be depleting your riboflavin by taking so much methylfolate (and b12). Angular chelitis is one of the major symptoms of b2 deficiency.

Just my two cents. :)