• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Too much B12?!

I have been injecting .10 ml of B12 twice a week now for several months. My original blood test was 233 (200-900)my latest test was over 2000. My doctor said to only inject once a week now. He also started me on liothyronine for RT3 on thyroid test. I now have constant extreme skin itching with no rash. I have stopped taking both medications, but am still itching. Any suggestions? Is the itch from to much B12 or the combo? And how do I treat it? Thanks

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have been injecting .10 ml of B12 twice a week now for several months. My original blood test was 233 (200-900)my latest test was over 2000. My doctor said to only inject once a week now. He also started me on liothyronine for RT3 on thyroid test. I now have constant extreme skin itching with no rash. I have stopped taking both medications, but am still itching. Any suggestions? Is the itch from to much B12 or the combo? And how do I treat it? Thanks

Hi always,

Just for clarification, what type of B12 have you been injecting and how many mgs? The mls don't tell us the dose as there are many different concentrations available.

Sushi

Today I notice that the itching flares up when I eat and then calms down between meals. It's not a food allergy because I have made sure to eat completely different foods every meal for two days. It's very annoying because everything itches even my mouth and throat. Then after a few hours it goes away. Weird!!

Victronix

That's too bad that you got a reaction to the T3 med. I haven't yet tried that -- I've been on Synthroid for years and have been trying to work up the courage to try a very small dosage of Cytomel.

For high RT3 (which I have on and off) I've heard that you might try relaxation techniques, meditation, which seemed to work for me. Apparently it will also go up if you've been sick. It's complex stuff. Have you told your doctor about the itching? I've been told to drink a lot of very weak herb tea to clear out the system, like using one bag for several cups, when you have a reaction to a drug like that. I got that from a sulfa antibiotic and it took a couple of days for the itching to fully go away.

I have tried an antihistamine, doesn't seem to help. I talked to my doctor, he just said to quit taking the thyroid med. so I haven't taken any for 5 days ( which of course means my CFS symptoms came back with a vengeance)You would think it would be out of my system by now. But itching is also a symptom of too much B12 and I suppose that could take awhile to clear. I am at my wits end and really don't know what to do.

richvank

It says 10 mg per 1 ml. So my injections equal 1mg

Hi, always.

If it's really 10 mg per 1 ml, and you were injecting 10 ml twice a week, that would amount to 200 mg per week. That's a lot of B12! By comparison, the simplified methylation protocol that I have suggested (at 2 mg per day) would total to 14 mg per week.

I don't know if the B12 is causing the itching, but if so, as you noted, it will take some time to clear. The half-life of excess B12 that is bound to haptocorrin in the blood is about a week. It is absorbed by the liver, and the excess is excreted in the bile, which passes into the gut, and most will then pass into the stools.

Best regards,

Rich