• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Atypical vertigo?

Nielk

I had vertigo this past winter when I felt dizzy, nauseous and weak. I took Alevert which helped a bit and after
about a month it disappeared.

It seems like I have vertigo again, except this time along with the usual symptoms, I also feel like my body is made out of lead. I feel so heavy like a heavy log which I can't carry around. It is such a strange feeling. I also feel short of breath.

Can anyone relate?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have had two episodes of really bad vertigo over the years. No one could explain it but looking back, it could correlate to times when a lot of detox was going on. One episode lasted about a week and the other a couple of weeks.

It certainly isn't fun! I sympathize.

Sushi

Nielk

Hi Sushi,

Thanks. Actually detox makes some sense for me. I appreciate your reply. I guess I just have to wait it out.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I had it daily years ago before I found doctors that tested my B12. It was barely on the chart. There is nothing worse, I hope you feel better.

Nielk

Thanks Sally,

Interesting. I just went to my doctor and he gave me a B12 shot! This forum rocks!

Thanks,
Gabby

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks Sally,

Interesting. I just went to my doctor and he gave me a B12 shot! This forum rocks!

Thanks,
Gabby

That is great! Hope that takes care of it.

It wasn't the case for me though as I have been taking B12 shots every other day for a long time. Still a mystery except that during the second episode there was a forest fire nearby and a lot of smoke in the air for a couple of weeks.

Sushi

Nielk

I remember you writing about that fire. I think I remember that this led to a major crash for you - Sushi

I don't know yet if the B-12 shot will help but, it's interesting that my doctor and Sally made the connection.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
B12 is just the very first thing to check. Could have saved me years of that awful stuff. If your level is good, then you look at other things.

I had lots of vertigo, but my B12 level was fine. Promethazine is a common prescription to try, to lessen discomfort. It's a motion sickness drug.

Hanna

Hi Nielk, I am sorry you are going through vertigo again. One thing that maybe could help is manganese supplementation. Manganese deficiency is known to affect tendons (in middle ear), causing dizziness, tinitus etc.
Hope it helps.

taniaaust1

I also feel like my body is made out of lead. I feel so heavy like a heavy log which I can't carry around. It is such a strange feeling. I also feel short of breath.

I relate to those (thou dont have the issues now, they've gone away on their own)... all part of the parcel of ME for me. That heaviness, I personally related it to do with something neurological as its far different to my normal tiredness/exhaustion. I find that one can have extreme exhaustion/tiredness happening yet not feel this other kind of body heaviness (rather then just tiredness) thing, so I think they are two completely different things.

eg I can be okay enough to get out of bed but be feeling so weighted eg say if its my head being too heavy on my neck, my neck then will be dangling either sideways or I'll have my chin sitting on my chest, due to the effort to hold it up due to heavy head.., (thou I may of been feeling okay and had gone out to visit someone ..back when I was still driving).

About a month back I did expereince this again but just with the heavy head, I ended up wearing a neck brace for the day to hold my head up, so it didnt affect the other things I wanted to do around the house that day.

Other times my feet feel weighed (like I had big bags of sand sitting on my feet or on the ends of my legs) to the point where I'll be dragging my feet when I walk and if I had to climb stairs.. I'd be picking one leg up at a time with my hands to place them on the stair as too heavy for legs to lift themselves.

Other times it was my whole body feeling very very heavy (at those times I just stayed in bed..too much effort to be moving at all.. even too much effort and heaviness then to roll over in bed.)... This heaviness thing can affect just one part of the body (at times when Ive got it in the arms it felt like my arms were going to fall off due to their weight) or the whole body.

I do get a lot of dizziness but only once have had very bad vertigo which came on suddenly and extreme but it went away just as fast. Ive no idea what triggered it.

I hope that B12 helps

Nielk

I had lots of vertigo, but my B12 level was fine. Promethazine is a common prescription to try, to lessen discomfort. It's a motion sickness drug.

I'm so afraid of any type of drug, especially ones that make you drowsy. I try as much as I can to stay away from them ..now.
My doctor gave me a prescription for Melizine. I would think it probably acts the same way.

I'm trying first to wait it out and see if it will start improving. I find that if I don't move my head, it's better.

Nielk

I relate to those (thou dont have the issues now, they've gone away on their own)... all part of the parcel of ME for me. That heaviness, I personally related it to do with something neurological as its far different to my normal tiredness/exhaustion. I find that one can have extreme exhaustion/tiredness happening yet not feel this other kind of body heaviness (rather then just tiredness) thing, so I think they are two completely different things.

eg I can be okay enough to get out of bed but be feeling so weighted eg say if its my head being too heavy on my neck, my neck then will be dangling either sideways or I'll have my chin sitting on my chest, due to the effort to hold it up due to heavy head.., (thou I may of been feeling okay and had gone out to visit someone ..back when I was still driving).

About a month back I did expereince this again but just with the heavy head, I ended up wearing a neck brace for the day to hold my head up, so it didnt affect the other things I wanted to do around the house that day.

Other times my feet feel weighed (like I had big bags of sand sitting on my feet or on the ends of my legs) to the point where I'll be dragging my feet when I walk and if I had to climb stairs.. I'd be picking one leg up at a time with my hands to place them on the stair as too heavy for legs to lift themselves.

Other times it was my whole body feeling very very heavy (at those times I just stayed in bed..too much effort to be moving at all.. even too much effort and heaviness then to roll over in bed.)... This heaviness thing can affect just one part of the body (at times when Ive got it in the arms it felt like my arms were going to fall off due to their weight) or the whole body.

I do get a lot of dizziness but only once have had very bad vertigo which came on suddenly and extreme but it went away just as fast. Ive no idea what triggered it.

I hope that B12 helps

ThanksTania,

You describe so well the way I'm feeling. For me, it's a strange "new" feeling. I have been ill with ME/CFS for almost 10 years now and never had this scary symptom. I had many times when I was too exhausted to get out of bed but, never this feeling that I can't move because I'm weighted down. It's kind of a nightmare.

It's interesting that you say you had to wear a neck brace because that's what I did about a month ago but, it was because I had neck pain. I was joking around that I thought it was because my head is too "big" for me.

I guess it started in my head and now it's moving down to the rest of my body....What's next?