• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation.... Protocols and Gains

roxie60

thanks for mentioning the fitbit, I am reserching now, I have wanted some type od accurate sleep monitor w/ tracking data. Can the fitbit data be downloaded to your pc/laptop or only on their website?

nanonug

why do the amino acid supps stop working???

Unless there is a true deficiency, odds are that the body is downregulating certain neurotransmitters for a reason (not necessarily a good one, though.) Increasing precursors availability will trick the body for a few days but after that homeostasis is again achieved. Some people therefore like to cycle aminoacids to keep the body's regulatory mechanisms one step behind. The problem is that one feels like crap (in a true deficiency state) while in the "off" period.

place

Be Strong!
Hey Roxie,
It downloads to both computer, website and smart phone (I think). Also, I have a Mac and I use firefox. Its really cool. I love it. I sent the information on to my sleep doc. The information correlates well with how I feel and activity level.

roxie60

the majority of my life the bld pressure was very low. The last 6 months it has switched to high, sometimes normal (its hard to call the nrmal normal for me since for years normal seemed high). I have been tracking it daily at home and it is very high but I think my OMRON? machine is measuring high. In the Drs office it comes up normal now. I use to puzzle the nurses and Drs, they would take my pressure multiple times and ask me if I felt like I was going to pass out, I'd tell them no then ask why, they said anyone else with the low pressure would hav been on the floor. Strrange body. Up is down left is right

place

Be Strong!
Roxie, I have always had low blood pressure... I pass out easily. I wonder if mine is gone up?

also, I am attaching a picture of the web version of the sleep data the fit bit shows.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 12

nanonug

the majority of my life the bld pressure was very low.

Roxie, I asked because if it is generally low you might want to give pseudoephedrine a try. In my case, it helps with the anaphylactic symptoms following meals. I currently take a 12-hour extended-release formulation but it is probably a good idea to start with immediate release.

place, I guess you could try the same thing...

place

Be Strong!
Small Update

A month ago, I switched to Jarrow 5mg 2x a day. At the same time I got the flu and had some sinus issues. Both of which make me slightly tired. Week 4 and still a little tired. I also ran out of my ribose. I got my ribose and I started adding 2-4 ET mb12d more a day. My energy is back up. Two things

1) The Jarrow 5mg is too big and I struggle to keep it under my lip and end up eating it.

2) I'm not sure about the absorption rate, but from what I read, it might be better to have less in for longer than more in for short time periods.... Freddd, can way in on this as he has tested. Just my theory for..now.

As a result my nails are growing again at a fast rate.

place

Be Strong!
Black is for 4wks, Green for 7 wks, Blue for 9wks and 5 MONTHS

Weeks/Months on Protocol: 5 MONTHS
Progress Made:
Energy up by 4-9 out of 10, mfolate has giving me an unnatural amount of energy, like freakish. Freddd said I need to lower my mb12 while increase mfolate. I can always tell I have more energy when my sense of humor comes back. Energy is good but my mood is off. Not my witty self. Good, have had some down slides until I started taking b2 twice a day without any other B's to interfere. It really helped increase my energy and eliminate the eye floaters.
Acne going away- its going, going and gone ( a few left but nothing to dwell on). Same as week 7 It has come back but it is due to the DHEA and I have been on fertility meds so, not an accurate measure
anxiety about conversing with people gone- Has come back. Has gone away with addition of tyrosine. I used to not be able to initiate tasks, even simple things like making a doctors apt or tackle my list. This got worse as I progressed into treatment. I am able to talk to people and get s#%! done! Yeah!
Less PEM crashing- Increased Muscle energy production- started taking 2000 of l-carnitine, solved it in 2-4 days. I feel like I'm building strength- weird I know. I should have some measurable physical outcomes soon. Definatly good. I can’t exercise for data as I think I sprained my toe! I just can't win!!! Just started back to running a couple of times a week, doc thinks I broke my toe. I feel like I can do the exercise and have little or no repercussions but I don't feel fantastic during my runs. I have to stop a great deal to walk. However, I am running during hot days 85 degrees. I do far better with the 60's. I wish my endurance would pick up. I know I will be making progress when I feel like I am building endurance. I have been tracking my heart rate and there is no correlation between exsertion and heart rate output. I was hoping there would be but I do try to keep my hr under 156. FYI, I am really driven person, so I tend to push myself. If I was a normal Fibro or CFS person, I would not be running. But I am by no means normal.

Symptoms Remaining or Gaining
Chronic sinus infections- Mucus is thinning, yeah! But not gone. This is still an issue. I had a virus for a couple of weeks and then I was in colorado springs for two weeks which dried me up but did not solve the problem. I wish this symptom would go away.
my memory is kind of worse- it was its best when on lovenox- so that is what I am judging it on. still bad. supper bad, getting worse. I can still say full sentences… and type so ..? Tyrosine, lovenox and diflucan have helped a great deal. Mostly the tyrosine. I function normally now. As long as I take it several times a week.
Limited activities- not sure where I am with this, I have had a sinus infection the last week. So? Sick last week with flu and this week I injured my toe (chasing a frog!). I have lost some energy with the whole Jarrow B12 decreased in potency issue that everyone was having and then it leveled off. However, once I started taking b2 twice a day, my energy picked back up again. I think I had burned through all my B2, and since that is needed to retain/absorb all the other b's, the Methlyation was not effective. I wonder if this is why some people's treatement becomes ineffective? I really noticed a difference. The last two weeks have been intense (lawyers, lawyers and more lawyers!) so I don't know if I am dealing with adrinaline or normal energy.
Food sensitivities- trying to be good on this and not eat my heavy offenders. Still trying to be good. It seems to be getting slightly better. Can't be 100% yet. I can tolerate some soy, and I don't itch as much with the corn. I have been eating 1/2 glutten free. Overall, do ok, and have not noticed any side effects due to food, but that does not mean they arn't happening.
Still can't have a beer without repercussions =(- and I still cant. But I am staying off the sauce for other reasons so no big loss. Still off the sauce. Beer still gives me repercussions. Have to drink vodka
Vision- This past month I have notice a ton of floaters in my vision, it's kinda freaking me out but I will need to do some research before I hit the panic button. This was totally taken care of by B2! I take it separate from my other b’s Need more B2 when increased my B12/folate.
Sleep- not normal. I keep waking up at 6:00 am. I really like sleeping until 8:00 but my body won't let me now. So I roll around in bed for two hours. I still feel crappy when I wake up both at 6 and 8. But I think that has more to do with my constant sinus infections. One of the reasons I started Methylation was to improve my sleep. I purchased a fitbit to track my sleep. It graphs the times I am awake and moving. Not sure how applicable the results are but at least I have some kind of measurement. So I am getting any where from 3-4 hours of sleep with wake up times of 13-19 times with those being 15-20 minute long each. The nice thing about this is as I change my supplements I can see if it effects my sleep. I have a base line and I did try a muscle relaxer that did not effect it. It also tracks my level of physical activity so I can compare the level per day. Well, after tracking my sleep for several months, if my sleep is above 55%, than I feel fantastic the next day, uncontrolably good. I did reach a 65% once and it was wonderful! I took lunesta to get that. I have a tolerance Lunesta so it does not work anymore. When I first tried it, I had 6-8 of the best months in the past 15 years. It was lovely. Now I use it when I have too.

Exercise- I feel like I have elastic lungs… Crazy I know. But I used to deeply inhale and the would get to a point and stop. Now when I inhale it feels like a balloon where I can keep inhaling and my lungs will keep going. I have NO PEM. I went running last week and that would have made the next morning very bad almost useless. Moreover, after a run, I would be done for the day. On the sofa. But now I rest for 1 hour and I am up making dinner or cleaning the house. This has stayed the same.

Pain- I don’t generally have pain, it is well controlled as long as I have some exercise program. But the past year I have had this one spot on the outside of my knee that was growing in pain. Its one of the 18 pressure points. It’s starting to fade away. I had some pain in my hips the other day but was unsure as to its cause. It went away the next day. The pain on my knee has not completly left but is still tender when pushed on.

My Protocol
Am
50 DHEA Taking is down to just 50 a day
2.5 Cortif
1200 Fish oil
100 Antibotic
ALA
1200 mucinex
1000 C
5 mg Mb12
3 mg ADb12
1000 Lcarintine
25 Zinc
500 Potassium
400 CoQ10
200 Magnesium (not sure the dose?)
1600 Mfolate
100 B2

Noon doses
100 B2
800 Mfolate
500 Potassium
1000 C

Afternoon (2 ish)
1200 Fishoil
olive leaf- I take this to prevent cold sores, it does a great job.
50 DHEA 25 DHEA
25 Zinc
E
B- Complex- The one without Folic Acid
1000 C
TMG
1000 L-carnitine500 Potassium
1600 Mfolate5 mg Mb12
5 mb12 (changed from 15 per day)

PM
75 Noritriptyline
3 mg Melatonin
1000 C
100 Antibiotic
5000 D
10 mg Sigulaur
500 potassium

100 B2
Through out the day I take more mb12 up to 5 of them and more potassium up to 3000. I take more if I need it.

arx

Hi place,
I read somewhere that Vitamin C interferes with the absorption of B12. This is the reason I've kept a minimum of 2 hour gap between Vitamin C and mb12/adb12. I don't know whether it is true, but it is mentioned on many web pages. Just thought you should know,if you don't already.

Charles555nc

I would cut out the magneium and let it come up naturally. Large doses of calcium and magnesium protect bad biofilms in the gut.

You might also want to try lysine, proline, and glycine- antiviral and help build up the body.

I also get severe brain fog from any dose of vitamin D, so I'd suggest not taking supplements for that and just get more sunshine.

place

Be Strong!
arx- did not know about the V. C issue. I know several people have said they don't feel well unless they take high levels of V.C. , I'm not sure why this is? I have been trying to increase it just to see if it has any impact on my sinuses.

Charles- I have taken Lysine but I have not heard of proline or glycine for antiviral. I do have issues with dormant viruses. Thanks for the info, I will check them out!

richvank

Hi place,
I read somewhere that Vitamin C interferes with the absorption of B12. This is the reason I've kept a minimum of 2 hour gap between Vitamin C and mb12/adb12. I don't know whether it is true, but it is mentioned on many web pages. Just thought you should know,if you don't already.

Hi, arx.

Do you know of a reference for this that gives an explanation in terms of the biochemistry? I hadn't heard of this before.

Thanks.

Rich

arx

Hi, arx.

Do you know of a reference for this that gives an explanation in terms of the biochemistry? I hadn't heard of this before.

Thanks.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I don't have a reference for this which would explain in terms of the biochemistry. As I said, I don't know whether this is true or not. However, I'll quote from some links which I read. They might be absolutely wrong. I was hoping someone like you would shed some light on this and clear the doubt.

Quoting from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/926.html
"Vitamin C
Early research suggests that vitamin C supplements can destroy dietary vitamin B12. It isn't known whether this interaction is important, but to stay on the safe side, take vitamin C supplements at least 2 hours after meals. "

The early research that they mention was later contradicted, as mentioned here:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/511704-b-12-interaction-with-vitamin-c/

Another link:
Destruction of Vitamin B12 by Ascorbic Acid
Victor Herbert, MD, JD; Elizabeth Jacob, MD

Personally, I took the 'stay on the safe side' approach and kept a 2-3 hour gap.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Unless there is a true deficiency, odds are that the body is downregulating certain neurotransmitters for a reason (not necessarily a good one, though.) Increasing precursors availability will trick the body for a few days but after that homeostasis is again achieved. Some people therefore like to cycle aminoacids to keep the body's regulatory mechanisms one step behind. The problem is that one feels like crap (in a true deficiency state) while in the "off" period.

God, i so hope that is not true. Ive just had two pain free, bodily distress free days on DL-phenyalanine. Its been great
and i dont want it to stop.

Hello Place,

So glad to read that you are doing well! Since i do not have good reactions to b12 complex (even without folic acid), do you hint thatm except B12 and Folate, only B2 is really needed? I read so many posts about the almost magical effects that B2 had in their bodies, and i assume that something is going on with B2 and CFS patients. I also read that many CFS patients are also deficient in B6 -but don't you need high amounts of B2 for the B6 to convert and run smoothly in your body first?

Currently waiting for the ELN vitamin test results to verify this theory upon myself, because something did not work well with the Methylation protocol with me. Although initially had an an improvement (mostly with my mood and my breathing), the neurological discomforts grew stronger (head spasms, vocal difficulties etc), that B-complex also always does.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your story, and i hope soon i will share mine as well, since soon i plan to retry it.

Keep it up!

cph13

Hi Place,(et all)
I think you R doing all of us a wonderful service by documenting your protocol and its' effects. Thank you so very much. I too had some severe issues with the M. protocol therefore, I stopped it and am just taking a B complex. I'm confused about one thing. I've read (months ago) on the B2 I love U that it can help along with manganese but should NOT be taken with other supps/minerals. THE THREAD IS OLD. I C U take B2 but no manganese and U take all the other supps. Can U or someone clarify. I have been off Bcomplex for a month and would like to C if B2&manganese would help. Can someone please clarify the quantity of both and the fact that I can take all other supps except Bcomplex and the other B's which would include additional Biotin. I began dabbling again on this site back in March???? I FEEL LIKE I ARRIVED IN THE MIDDLE OF A MOVIE most of the times. I would appreciate any and ALL opinions on this B2/managnese issues vs. other vitimins esp. B.
Good luck Place and Thank you ever so much again! xo C