• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new sleep med/orexin antagonist??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Posting this after reading this from prohealth board, http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=17047

Suvorexant (MK-4305) is an orexin receptor antagonist in development by Merck & Co.[1][2][3] The drug works by turning off wakefulness rather than by inducing sleep.[4] This drug for sleep disorders has completed three Phase III trials[5] and is one of several such compounds currently in development, the others being Actelion's ACT-078573 and GlaxoSmithKline's SB-649,868

Sounds interesting, i wonder how much this will cost when it first comes out.

cheers!!!

TheMoonIsBlue

Interesting. Wonder how long til it comes to market, if it gets approved. I will have to google....

All I know about orexin is that it is somehow connected to narcolespy......but I cant remember if they had a deficiency or too much of it?

"Turning off wakefulness" is what I need. My brain just will not turn off.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sounds a bit like
Propofol--which is blissful, instant lights-out! :rofl: Too bad it could kill you without an aenesthesiologist involved.

Sushi

TheMoonIsBlue

Sounds a bit like
Propofol--which is blissful, instant lights-out! :rofl: Too bad it could kill you without an aenesthesiologist involved.

Sushi

Ah hell, I hope not!

I actually hope this may be something promising, I am in need of a miracle sleep drug.

heapsreal

Interesting. Wonder how long til it comes to market, if it gets approved. I will have to google....

All I know about orexin is that it is somehow connected to narcolespy......but I cant remember if they had a deficiency or too much of it?

"Turning off wakefulness" is what I need. My brain just will not turn off.
From my understanding orexin keeps one alert, these new sleep meds are able to block this, so in a strange way this med isnt putting one to sleep like traditional meds but what it does is stops people being alert, i suppose making it easier to sleep.
I didnt think propofol worked like that, but i dont know much about it.

cheers!!!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Turning off wakefulness is an interesting idea. I think our up-regulated autonomic nervous systems could be considered over-wakefulness.

heapsreal

Could be the off button we have been searching for.
Lets hope it comes out quicker then ampligen, it should cause it will make alot more money for big pharma.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

It it works by shutting off alertness.. I wonder how safe this drug would be in the event of a fire in ones house

U would think it would be like normal sleep and able to wake for those things.

Doesnt sound like someone being sedated like other traditional sleep meds or xyrem even alcohol which i suppose have the same problem if there was a fire.

Time will tell, if its in phase 3 trials, does anyone know an estimated time a med like this would be approved??

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Paste and copy from wiki, so u wouldnt think it was too far away from coming to market??

Clinical trials involving new drugs are commonly classified into four phases. Each phase of the drug approval process is treated as a separate clinical trial. The drug-development process will normally proceed through all four phases over many years. If the drug successfully passes through Phases 1, 2, and 3, it will usually be approved by the national regulatory authority for use in the general population.
  • Phase 1: Screening for safety
  • Phase 2: Establishing the testing protocol
  • Phase 3: Final testing
  • Phase 4: Postapproval studies
Clinical trials are conducted in phases. The trials at each phase have different purposes and help scientists answer different questions:
In Phase 1 trials, researchers test an experimental drug or treatment in a small group of people (20-80) for the first time to evaluate its safety, determine a safe dosage range, and identify side effects.
In Phase 2 trials, the experimental study drug or treatment is given to a larger group of people (100-300) to see if it is effective and to further evaluate its safety.
In Phase 3 trials, the experimental study drug or treatment is given to large groups of people (1,000-3,000) to confirm its effectiveness, monitor side effects, compare it to commonly used treatments, and collect information that will allow the experimental drug or treatment to be used safely.
In Phase 4 trials, postmarketing studies delineate additional information, including the drug's risks, benefits, and optimal use.