• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rock bottom, please help

HI there!!

Long story short I have gone from apex athlete to a trainwreck in 4 years. It all started with 4 months of impetigo, as a fitness model this was life ending mentally. Afterwards my skin has never been the same and fatigue increasing day by day, a constant quest for foods that suit my skin and thousands of dollars on skin products.

I have also been through some life threatening accidents a year ago and never recovered. At the moment i suffer from extreme fatigue, depression, insomnia and much more. I have taken stool tests, organix, cortisol am,pm and and immuno allergy tests recently, Id love to have help from someone going through my tests, I am a bit worried since I feel the lab people just wanna sell me supplements.

Amazing forum this and I wish you all a speedy recovery, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section!

Pete

Here are my test results!

Pete

Attachments

• Olsson - T-249N.pdf
    236.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Olsson - T-250N.pdf
    468.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Olsson - T-571N.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Olsson - T-913N.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 42
here my verdict and supplement list,

Hi Peter
To sum up.
You do have signs of strong small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and dysbiosis in your gut. This is perhaps impacting your livers detoxification and the reason for the high phase 1 and phase 2 liver detoxification markers.
You also are lacking B6 –you may have a genetic inheritance here, many people have that. However it could be due metabolism.
Further you have increased oxidative stress.
These markers may impact your energy levels and may exhaust you.
Please see the VMS-prescription for you. Same, 5HTP, Inositol, are things you may try out to see if it supports you anxiety and sleep.

Pea Protein Powder 2 Heaped dessertspoon 1 Times 3 Month(s) 2 table spoons i a smoothie -rotate with rice protein powder. Proteinpowder.
Tricycline 2 capsules 2 Times 3 Month(s) 2 morning and 2 lunch.
Rice Protein Concentrate 2 Scoop 1 Times 3 Month(s) 2 tablespoons in a smoothie. Proteinpowder.
Ther-Biotic® Complete Powder 0.25Teaspoon 1 Times 12 Month(s) 1/4 teaspooon in the evening. gode probiotiske bakterier
Ox Bile (Hypoallergenic) 1 capsules 3 Times 3 Month(s) 1 at each meal. Hjælper med at spalte fedt.
P-5-P (Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate, Vitamin B-6 Metabolite) 50 mg - Hypoallergenic 1 capsules 2 Times 3 Month(s) 1 morning and 1 lunch. active vit b6
FolaPro 1 tabs 1 Times 3 Month(s) 1 per day. Aktive Folic acid -mod folinsyremangel.
Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C 2 pc 1 Times 3 Month(s) 2 per day. Stæk c-vitamin til imunforsvar og god tarmfunktion.
NAC Enhanced Antioxidant Formula 1 tabs 1 Times 3 Month(s) Tag 1 tablet morning. Er en vigtig antioxidant, som fremmer dannelsen af gluthatione
Essential GSH™ - liposomal glutathione 0.5 Teaspoon 1 Times 3 Month(s) ½ teaspoon per day. is tasteless in orangejuice, but cannot be diluted in applejuice. Glutathione til leveren så der afgiftes bedre.
Arctic Root Rhodiola 1 tabs 2 Times 6 Month(s) 1 morning 1 lunch. Mod træthed og stress. Øger udholdenheden og balancerer binyrerne.
Bio-D-Mulsion Forte™ 2000 IU 1 drops 1 Times 12 Month(s) 2 drops per day. D-vitamin tilskud i letoptagelig form. Til D-vitamin mangel.
Actigreen (Original Green Tea Powder) - Extra Concentrated 1 Sachets 2 Times 6 Month(s) 2 cups per day, can be used for hot tea or cold in smoothies etc. Gode antioxidanter.
OmegaCare 1 Teaspoon 1 Times 3 Month(s) 1 teaspoon per day. for omega 3 mangel -EPA og DHA.
Best 5-HTP (100mg) 1 capsules 1 Times 6 Month(s) 1 caps 1 hour before bedtime. You may try 2 caps. 5HTP er forstadie til lykkehormonet serotonin. Mod depression og søvnløshed. Not to be used when taking MAO inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or other anti-depressant medications. Not to be used by individuals taking any of the category of medications known as "triptans".
Inositol 500 mg 2 vegetarian capsules 2 Times 1 Month(s) 2 morning and 2 evening. May lower anxiety.
GABA 1 capsules 1 Times 3 Month(s) take 2 1 hour before bedtime. may lower anxiety. For inflammatory processes.
SAMe 400mg (Double Strength) 1 tabs 1 Times 3 Month(s) 1 tablet 1 hour before bedtime. Do not chew or crush tablet.
Magnesium Citrate 4 vegetarian capsules 1 Times 3 Month(s

Enid

We've all been/are at rock bottom Pete - watch all going on her on PR - all the science, all the trials, shared tests, shared experiences of treatments by members here willingly offered. No easy answers but much aid yet.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Welcome to PR, Pete!

What exactly does your skin look like? What type of rashes do you have? Some of the infections that a subset of us have can cause persistent skin rashes. Try googling bartonella rash, lyme rash (erythema migrans) and babesiosis, for example, and looking at the pictures. If you want to post a photo here, I might be able to suggest other possibilities.

We all seem to have our own collection of various chronic infections, and finding out what you've got and treating it (when possible) seems to be the key to getting real symptom improvement for a lot of us.

jeffrez

Sounds tough, sorry you're going through such a hard time. We've all been there! It's doubly hard going from peak athletic performance to massive ME/CFS type of low energy & crashes.

Based just on a quick look at your pdf files, if it were me I would jump right on a good B-complex (Jarrow B-right is really good, imho), some methylfolate, as many good probiotics as I could get my hands on, and some liver support in the form of NAC, milk thistle, schisandra, capillaris combination, etc.

Looks like one prob might be bacterial overgrowth of bad bacteria, which then is flooding more toxins into the system & overloading the liver. I'd try to restore a more normal gut environment, and then do some detoxing and then rebuilding of the system, including a good multi-mineral, good diet, etc. That's going to take a little time, but without a good foundation of removing dysbiosis and getting the liver more balanced, nothing else is likely to have much of a chance to gain a foothold. You'll just be spinning your wheels for nothing.

That's a pretty long list of supplementation, too. If it were me, knowing my liver was already a bit stressed, I'd probably just try to pare things down to the bare essentials needed right now to clean up the get and get the liver functioning better. More is not always better!

GL, & keep us posted.

Crux

Hi SwedishPete ;

This looks like an excellent set of tests you've had done. Rich has the most thorough understanding of these.
I'll bring up that some minerals recommended in their basics aren't listed in your regimen. I've found that zinc has really cleared up numerous skin lesions . Some took a few months, though.

richvank

Hi, Pete.

I'd say that you have already gotten some good interpretation of your test results. There is a gut dysbiosis problem, and I agree that that needs to be addressed first. Your comprehensive stool analysis did not include antimicrobial sensitivity testing, so it's difficult to say which antimicrobials would be most helpful for knocking down the populations of the unfriendly bacteria. It's possible that you could overwhelm them using probiotics, but I think it's often true that the unhelpful bacteria must be knocked down first, before the friendly ones can be built up.

I think that the reason you have IgG antibodies to several foods is that the gut dysbiosis has resulted in intestinal permeability ("leaky gut" syndrome), so if you can correct the dysbiosis, I think the food sensitivities will resolve. In the meantime, it is best not to eat the ones that you are sensitive to, and also to rotate your foods to avoid other sensitivities.

Your carbohydrate metabolism is not operating very well, judging by pyruvate being below the detection limit. This could be caused by a low-carb diet, poor absorption of carbs by the gut, or low magnesium.

Normally, when carbs are not being supplied to the citric acid cycle at a normal rate, fatty acids are mobilized and the cells go into ketosis. However, in your case, this is not happening, based on beta hydroxybutyrate being below the detection limit. You have some omega oxidation of fatty acids going on, but not much. The fat stains on the stool test suggest that you may not be digesting or absorbing fats very well, perhaps because of the dysbiosis or because of bile insufficiency. It's not possible to say for sure what the cause is with the available data. You could also be low in carnitine or B2 or both.

The first three citric acid cycle metabolites are low because not much in the way of carbs or fats are being fed to the cycle.

Alpha ketoglutarate is below the detection limit. This is probably due to low B3, magnesium or manganese, as well as low B6 and/or B2. Succinate is normal, suggesting that you are feeding some branched-chain amino acid into the citric acid cycle. Fumarate is below the detection limit, perhaps due to B2 deficiency.

The high xanthurenate and kynurenate indicate low B6 or B2 or both. The high beta-hydroxyvalerate indicates a biotin deficiency.

The high formiminoglutamate indicates low folate. Although methylmalonate is not high, I suspect that you have a functional B12 deficiency, based on the high formiminoglutamate and the low pyroglutamate (which indicates glutathione depletion). The methylmalonate marker can be masked by B-vitamin deficiencies.

Your neurotransmitter metabolites are off-normal. It's difficult to be specific about them, but they are affected by B-vitamins, and you do have deficiencies in at least some of them.

The high 8-hydroxy-2-dexyguanosine indicates oxidative stress that is damaging the DNA. This would be consistent with glutathione depletion.

Your detox system is working hard to try to take out toxins, but general disruption of the sulfur metabolism is hindering this. There is very low flow in the transsulfuration pathway, based on alpha-hydroxybutyrate being below the detection limit. Low B2 and/or B6 could be responsible.

I suspect that your urea cycle is not operating very well, based on both fumarate and orotate being below the detection limit. If we had an amino acids panel, I could say more about that.

Your cortisol and DHEA look pretty good.

So generally speaking, I agree with what others have said. The gut issues need to be dealt with first. Then the deficiencies need to be corrected, particularly B-complex vitamins and essential minerals, but it would probably be a good idea to take a good multivitamin-multimineral to cover all the essential ones. You will need to consume some good quality protein to supply the necessary amino acids, and some fish oil to supply essential fatty acids to repair your cell membranes, which will have been damaged by the oxidative stress.

If your methylation cycle and glutathione do not bounce back after these things are corrected, then I think you will need a methylation protocol that includes methylfolate and high-dose hydroxo or methyl B12, either sublingually or by injection.

I recommend that you work with a physician for treatment.

Best regards,

Rich

hurtingallthetimet

just wanted to say hello and welcome to the boards, theres so many great people here with so much knowledge and best of all that know first hand what your going through and show kindess..i hope you find some great answers to your questions..

it is very hard to go from being so active and healthy to being so ill....again welcome : )

jeffrez

I agree with Rich that you might need to actively attack those bad bacteria. Not sure how garlic would work in your pathways, but you might consider adding something like olive leaf extract or oregano oil if the tricycline isn't enough on its own. If those don't work, you might even want to consider an Rx antibiotic. Then just replenish with friendlies.

We've all been/are at rock bottom Pete - watch all going on her on PR - all the science, all the trials, shared tests, shared experiences of treatments by members here willingly offered. No easy answers but much aid yet.
Welcome to PR, Pete!

What exactly does your skin look like? What type of rashes do you have? Some of the infections that a subset of us have can cause persistent skin rashes. Try googling bartonella rash, lyme rash (erythema migrans) and babesiosis, for example, and looking at the pictures. If you want to post a photo here, I might be able to suggest other possibilities.

We all seem to have our own collection of various chronic infections, and finding out what you've got and treating it (when possible) seems to be the key to getting real symptom improvement for a lot of us.

Thanks alot!!

Well after my impetigo in 2008 my skin was a mess, ever since I get reactions from underneath, typically the skin looks uneven in sunlight on the cheeks, I understand that this might my a sign of parasites or fungus in the gut? Ive had bad complexion, alot of blackheads in the pores, redness on the cheeks as well as acne. I believe alot of it has been caused by my gut.

Thank you so much for the reply!!!

just wanted to say hello and welcome to the boards, theres so many great people here with so much knowledge and best of all that know first hand what your going through and show kindess..i hope you find some great answers to your questions..

it is very hard to go from being so active and healthy to being so ill....again welcome : )

Thank you so much!! This forum feels like a life saver already:)

One of the tests indicates steatorrhea. This could be caused by hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). Do you know if the stool test you did looked for Helicobacter pylori infection?

HI there, I do not know if they have tested this, can check for sure!!

thanks!!!!

pete

Athene

ihateticks.me
Thanks alot!!

Well after my impetigo in 2008 my skin was a mess, ever since I get reactions from underneath, typically the skin looks uneven in sunlight on the cheeks, I understand that this might my a sign of parasites or fungus in the gut? Ive had bad complexion, alot of blackheads in the pores, redness on the cheeks as well as acne. I believe alot of it has been caused by my gut.

Thank you so much for the reply!!!

When did you last have your thyroid (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4) measured?
The unevenness you described and the redness as well could be caused by being hypothyroid, which would of course fit a lot of your other symptoms, most notably the lack of energy. Thyroid deficiency also gives you sleep problems, immune suppresion and terrible guts.

Read this
http://www.ehow.com/about_5366687_thyroid-skin-problems.html

Hi, Pete.

I'd say that you have already gotten some good interpretation of your test results. There is a gut dysbiosis problem, and I agree that that needs to be addressed first. Your comprehensive stool analysis did not include antimicrobial sensitivity testing, so it's difficult to say which antimicrobials would be most helpful for knocking down the populations of the unfriendly bacteria. It's possible that you could overwhelm them using probiotics, but I think it's often true that the unhelpful bacteria must be knocked down first, before the friendly ones can be built up.

Will do, antibiotics is not an option here???

I think that the reason you have IgG antibodies to several foods is that the gut dysbiosis has resulted in intestinal permeability ("leaky gut" syndrome), so if you can correct the dysbiosis, I think the food sensitivities will resolve. In the meantime, it is best not to eat the ones that you are sensitive to, and also to rotate your foods to avoid other sensitivities.

This is def my theory as well, all these foods were eaten at the time of the testing accept for the paranuts.Im following the Paul chek food rotation at the moment.

Your carbohydrate metabolism is not operating very well, judging by pyruvate being below the detection limit. This could be caused by a low-carb diet, poor absorption of carbs by the gut, or low magnesium.

I have been trying to go as low on carbs as possible to batle the gut problems.

Normally, when carbs are not being supplied to the citric acid cycle at a normal rate, fatty acids are mobilized and the cells go into ketosis. However, in your case, this is not happening, based on beta hydroxybutyrate being below the detection limit. You have some omega oxidation of fatty acids going on, but not much. The fat stains on the stool test suggest that you may not be digesting or absorbing fats very well, perhaps because of the dysbiosis or because of bile insufficiency. It's not possible to say for sure what the cause is with the available data. You could also be low in carnitine or B2 or both.

The first three citric acid cycle metabolites are low because not much in the way of carbs or fats are being fed to the cycle.

Alpha ketoglutarate is below the detection limit. This is probably due to low B3, magnesium or manganese, as well as low B6 and/or B2. Succinate is normal, suggesting that you are feeding some branched-chain amino acid into the citric acid cycle. Fumarate is below the detection limit, perhaps due to B2 deficiency.

Correct, I have been using EAA:)

The high xanthurenate and kynurenate indicate low B6 or B2 or both. The high beta-hydroxyvalerate indicates a biotin deficiency.

The high formiminoglutamate indicates low folate. Although methylmalonate is not high, I suspect that you have a functional B12 deficiency, based on the high formiminoglutamate and the low pyroglutamate (which indicates glutathione depletion). The methylmalonate marker can be masked by B-vitamin deficiencies.

Your neurotransmitter metabolites are off-normal. It's difficult to be specific about them, but they are affected by B-vitamins, and you do have deficiencies in at least some of them.

The high 8-hydroxy-2-dexyguanosine indicates oxidative stress that is damaging the DNA. This would be consistent with glutathione depletion.

I have been taking these supps, very expensive, anything you have heard of or is it just bogus??? http://www.lyposphericnutrients.co.uk/default.aspx

Your detox system is working hard to try to take out toxins, but general disruption of the sulfur metabolism is hindering this. There is very low flow in the transsulfuration pathway, based on alpha-hydroxybutyrate being below the detection limit. Low B2 and/or B6 could be responsible.

I suspect that your urea cycle is not operating very well, based on both fumarate and orotate being below the detection limit. If we had an amino acids panel, I could say more about that.

Your cortisol and DHEA look pretty good.

So generally speaking, I agree with what others have said. The gut issues need to be dealt with first. Then the deficiencies need to be corrected, particularly B-complex vitamins and essential minerals, but it would probably be a good idea to take a good multivitamin-multimineral to cover all the essential ones. You will need to consume some good quality protein to supply the necessary amino acids, and some fish oil to supply essential fatty acids to repair your cell membranes, which will have been damaged by the oxidative stress.

If your methylation cycle and glutathione do not bounce back after these things are corrected, then I think you will need a methylation protocol that includes methylfolate and high-dose hydroxo or methyl B12, either sublingually or by injection.

I recommend that you work with a physician for treatment.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich!

I dont know how to ever thank you enough for such an amazing reply, but you will get plenty of good karma thats foo sho!

Ive answered above on your coments in bold style. When you say a physician, you mean a regular doctor then?? Maybe I should print all this info and bring it?? The liver problems are perhaps something I could take up with the healthcare??

Im real new to this, how bad are my tests compared to a normal person??? Can I still work out on the days I feel like I can or is this to stressing?? Ive seen you suggest a multi in other threads which I have ordered, was planning on rotate that one with another good one perhaps.

Also the carb factor, I read alot about carbs being the enemy, however I really do struggle without any carbs, I gain weight and get too tired If I live on meat, veggies and berries.

Are Quinoa, beans and wild rice unthinkable with my kind of gut problems??

Thank you so much once again!! Theres a little hope again.

Pete

Ive tried hard

When did you last have your thyroid (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4) measured?
The unevenness you described and the redness as well could be caused by being hypothyroid, which would of course fit a lot of your other symptoms, most notably the lack of energy. Thyroid deficiency also gives you sleep problems, immune suppresion and terrible guts.

Read this
http://www.ehow.com/about_5366687_thyroid-skin-problems.html

I had never heard of this before!! Thank you so much Athene, is this something I can measure at the doctors?????

I agree with Rich that you might need to actively attack those bad bacteria. Not sure how garlic would work in your pathways, but you might consider adding something like olive leaf extract or oregano oil if the tricycline isn't enough on its own. If those don't work, you might even want to consider an Rx antibiotic. Then just replenish with friendlies.
Hi there,

I fixed a juicer today, so as I read in the paul chek book Im planning on juicing carrots, garlic and ginger for a while, maybe adding olive leag extract and oregano oil as well???

Thanks!!

Pete

Hi SwedishPete ;

This looks like an excellent set of tests you've had done. Rich has the most thorough understanding of these.
I'll bring up that some minerals recommended in their basics aren't listed in your regimen. I've found that zinc has really cleared up numerous skin lesions . Some took a few months, though.
HI crux, I have some zinc now so will give that a go!

Pete

Sounds tough, sorry you're going through such a hard time. We've all been there! It's doubly hard going from peak athletic performance to massive ME/CFS type of low energy & crashes.

Based just on a quick look at your pdf files, if it were me I would jump right on a good B-complex (Jarrow B-right is really good, imho), some methylfolate, as many good probiotics as I could get my hands on, and some liver support in the form of NAC, milk thistle, schisandra, capillaris combination, etc.

Looks like one prob might be bacterial overgrowth of bad bacteria, which then is flooding more toxins into the system & overloading the liver. I'd try to restore a more normal gut environment, and then do some detoxing and then rebuilding of the system, including a good multi-mineral, good diet, etc. That's going to take a little time, but without a good foundation of removing dysbiosis and getting the liver more balanced, nothing else is likely to have much of a chance to gain a foothold. You'll just be spinning your wheels for nothing.

That's a pretty long list of supplementation, too. If it were me, knowing my liver was already a bit stressed, I'd probably just try to pare things down to the bare essentials needed right now to clean up the get and get the liver functioning better. More is not always better!

GL, & keep us posted.

I also believe in less is more, the list is a bit too long. so what should I take away???

Clean diet, sleep and some exersise is def what I need, the problem is that I was a student in Hawaii when my body gave up, its been real tough recovering on Sweden where I dont wanna be at all and seeing my studies get destroyed. Its sent be far in depression so I do my best to keep it all up:)