• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tooth enamel loss

TheMoonIsBlue

After years of TMJ and my teeth and jaw just basically being misaligned, so my top and bottom teeth meet in abnormal places causing excessive wear to the enamel,I have continued to have tooth enamel loss on my bottom molars. I get deep pits that just get worse and the sealants they put on at the dentist usually chip off within 6-12 months and cost about $200 per tooth.

Does anyone have any tips for to strenghten tooth enamel? Any effective products out there?

I wear nightguard at night just in case I grind, which I dont think I do as there are no marks on the mouthguard.

Snez

Hi, On the advice of a dentist I've reversed tooth enamel loss in the past by applications of tooth mousse and xylitol gel, also chewing xylitol chewing gum. Hope this helps.

TheMoonIsBlue

Where do you get tooth mousse and xylitol gel? I used xylitol toothpaste and gum. I am not sure what gums are best w xylitol, some cost $10 for 50 pieces....are they woth it?

Thanks

Ps will check out that link

taniaaust1

If you are drinking a lot of sports drinks re if you have POTS.. consider those causing you issues. Sports drinks eat away at the enamel. Also take care with Vitamin C which also does that.

Snez

Where do you get tooth mousse and xylitol gel? I used xylitol toothpaste and gum. I am not sure what gums are best w xylitol, some cost $10 for 50 pieces....are they woth it?

I get the tooth mousse from my dentist (in Australia)
here is the link to the product

http://www.breezecare.com.au/ausshop/recaldent-tooth-mousse.html?gclid=CLeBrbqCqrACFVGZpAodASRDSg

There may be a similar product if you live outside Australia, I wonder if your dentist can help you with your enquiry.
I get all my xylitol products from iherb. The brand name is Spry. The tooth gel is actually designed for children but is excellent for adults too. Spry even makes candies with xylitol which my kids love.
Some 10 years ago I was terribly sick from a glandular fever type of virus, during this time I was popping in too many chewable vitamin C tablets and this is what eroded my enamel. I still take vitamin C but only in the form that you swallow whole.
My dentist alerted me to the state of my teeth and within a year was able to reverse the problem with a nightly application of tooth mousse and thrice daily chewing of xyitol gum. So for me it was entirely worth it.
These days I also ensure that I have good nutrition - a good intake of magnesium, vit D and vit K2 (latest research suggests it helps mobilise calcium to your bones and teeth).

TheMoonIsBlue

No, no sports drinks. It is just from the dang TMJ and misaligned teeth. They meet at the wrong angles. It is only my bottom molars that are losing the enamle. I used Spry toothpaste for years, it didnt help. Maybe chewing some xylitol gum after meals I can try, if it doesnt aggrevate my TMJ.

L'engle

moogle
The spry gum and candies are great. They also have some that they call 'mints' that are easier to chew, basically little candies that are softer than the ones they sell as candy. I got some by Xyla brand too. Xylitol leaves a very pleasant feeling in the mouth. You could also buy powdered xylitol and swish a bit of it in your mouth a few times a day. It can be rough on your stomach if you swallow too much of it without any food, so be aware of how much you are consuming.

hurtingallthetimet

great thread, i think it will help alot of people...i hadnt heard of the toothpaste and gels like the ones mentioned and that is worth looking into..

not sure if this has anything to do with your tooth enamel loss but wanted to mention in case it might....one of my kids went for cleaning etc. and was told that they could tell by looking at her irritated gums that she was allergic to something in her tooth paste and to try different ones, they said a sign is when you brush and have like a "slimey" residue when you spit out, or that irritates the gums, which my child said she had both but didnt think to mention it...again may or may not have anything to do with enamel but just wanted to let you know in case it does, we had no idea that you could be allergic to something in a tooth paste but it makes very much sense once it was said....and we switched toothpaste..

take care,

Ai-Yai

Mad Genius
Might be helpful:
-Tea tree oil washing\brushing.
-Listerine washings (if no other options)
-Oxygen cocktails eating during the day.

Ai-Yai

Mad Genius
Exist special machines\devices which make them
Also they usually are available at sport bars, some gyms etc.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Think you could do with a bit more or maybe you like the bald bits:p