• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Different forms l-carnitine

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
You’ll find that there are different types of L-carnitine. Because the chemical make-ups vary slightly some work better for specific functions than others:
  • Acetyl-L-Carnitine- the acetyl group basically means a collection of acetyl acid. To put it simply the addition of it to the carnitine aids in good memory function and mental focus. As with other forms of L-carnitine it also increases energy
  • L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate- tartrate, found in nature in some fruits, helps stabilize the L-carnitine. It’s also and effective antioxidant and some studies have shown it aids in more rapid muscle recovery after heavy stress
  • L-Carnitine fumarate- especially good for both metabolizing fat and sending plenty of oxygen to the heart, both valuable properties for athletes
  • D-Carnitine, D-L-Carnitine- only available synthetically and the FDA labels it as an illegal food additive
  • Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine (GPLC) – especially good for muscles as it promotes strong blood flow to them and makes up for oxygen lost during workout. Enhances fat metabolism and waste removal from cells
http://www.n101.com/info/l-carnitine-guide-what-is-it-and-who-should-use-it/

I have been using acetyl carnitine for a few months at 500mg a day and it helps some. Today i increased this to 1000mg so we will see what happens??

What are other peoples experience with different forms of carnitine? I have seen a few favour fumarate, and im thinking of trying this as well later.

cheers!!!

L'engle

moogle
I have only tried fumarate and it improves my physical symptoms but not my tolerance for mental exertion. There is also the insomnia issue above a certain amount.

I may try acetyl l carnitine just to see if it can make a difference to mental stamina.

anne_likes_red

I've been using the fumarate for a bit over a year, and I make sure I take it every day now. When I ran out a few months back I noticed the return of an uncomfortable sharp feeling in the heart region - which disappeared again quickly when I was able to resume taking it. It also helps me with energy and stamina.
I haven't tried the acetyl :)

SOC

I read in a couple different places that all forms of carnitine lower thyroid function so shouldn't be taken by people who are hypothyroid or borderline hypothyroid. Does anyone have experience with this?

alex3619

HI SOC, I do not consider myself thyroid suppressed - I didn't used to be back when I was getting all the tests. A little over a week ago I added carnitine to my protocol (again) and then stopped it after several days as I felt increasingly weaker. This feeling still persists a week after I stopped it, and I am less productive at doing almost everything. Is this is thyroid suppression? Coincidence? Something else? I do not know but it wouldn't surprise me if there can be an issue. I may retest it at a later date to see if I get the same response. Bye, Alex

heapsreal

HI SOC, I do not consider myself thyroid suppressed - I didn't used to be back when I was getting all the tests. A little over a week ago I added carnitine to my protocol (again) and then stopped it after several days as I felt increasingly weaker. This feeling still persists a week after I stopped it, and I am less productive at doing almost everything. Is this is thyroid suppression? Coincidence? Something else? I do not know but it wouldn't surprise me if there can be an issue. I may retest it at a later date to see if I get the same response. Bye, Alex
what type of carnitine alex??

Ema

I read in a couple different places that all forms of carnitine lower thyroid function so shouldn't be taken by people who are hypothyroid or borderline hypothyroid. Does anyone have experience with this?

I think this is another great example of the persistent myths that can turn into runaway trains on the Internet.

There have been studies showing that carnitine has an effect on cellular thyroid metabolism - particularly the entry of thyroid hormone into the cell - in hyperthyroid individuals. But whether or not that finding can then be extrapolated to mean that hypothyroid people should also not take carnitine is not clear at all.

It's also not clear if the study's findings apply only to thyroid hormone or if another factor (possibly cortisol?) may be contributing to the reduced metabolism in the studied population.

I think that carnitine may be useful for some people but the studies aren't clear enough (as usual!) to be making any definitive statements about what may or may not have an effect on thyroid. I think a trial is useful if one is inclined and the results will likely be different for everyone.

SOC

Hi Alex, I think I'm going to wait before I try it since I really don't want to have the reaction you did, which is certainly possible since I am already hypothyroid. Thanks for sharing your experience.

heapsreal

Two days now on 2x 500mg acetyl carnitine, had that headache/over stimulated feeling, not sure if its carnitine or not but only new thing im doing at the moment. So i think i will have to play around with doses to see if things occurr consistently. Yesterday though after first dosing of 1000mg i felt good for the whole day.

Im also taking 100mg q10 for awhile now and will look at juggling doses of this as well once i sort the carnitine out. I suppose im doing more mitochondrial stuff. I have used these supps in the past on there own and i was in a different state of health. Now im on top of viral reactivation, have my dhea sorted, im hoping with some trial and error with these mito supps i can get some more improvement. Also try and fit in the methyl b12 and folate somewhere?? but i will do these things 1 by 1 and see what happens???

perchance dreamer

Hi, Heapsreal. Acetyl carnitine gives me sleep problems, but I do well with GPLC. It gave me sleep problems until I started taking it first thing in the morning.

GPLC gives me a subtle energy increase and helps a little with sleep. It might be the glycine component. I do great with that nutrient. I use the Jarrow GPLC and order it from Amazon. You can read other reviews on IHerb.

Zensational

Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine (GPLC) is helping me sleep. I take 4 500mg caps before bed along with 10 mg of melatonin. Haven't tried the other forms yet.

heapsreal

Hi, Heapsreal. Acetyl carnitine gives me sleep problems, but I do well with GPLC. It gave me sleep problems until I started taking it first thing in the morning.

GPLC gives me a subtle energy increase and helps a little with sleep. It might be the glycine component. I do great with that nutrient. I use the Jarrow GPLC and order it from Amazon. You can read other reviews on IHerb.

i dont think i will use more then 500mg carnitine at this stage, last night was a horrible night for sleep, took a second small dose of sleep meds in the middle of the night it helped a little bit then i had a nightmare which is strange for me. I do take it in the mornings to try and avoid sleep issues.

thanks perchase dreamer

heapsreal

Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine (GPLC) is helping me sleep. I take 4 500mg caps before bed along with 10 mg of melatonin. Haven't tried the other forms yet.

wow helps you sleep, interesting. i did read somewhere that carnitine can help with melatonin production but from most people if its going to effect sleep its going cause sleep disturbances from what i have read. glad it helps u sleep.

cheers!!!

L'engle

moogle
OK, no more L-carnitine fumarate for me. I took maybe 50mg, the tiniest bit out of a capsule, the day before last, and last night (the second night) I slept only 3 hours. bleccccchhh

L'engle

moogle
OK, no more L-carnitine fumarate for me. I took maybe 50mg, the tiniest bit out of a capsule, the day before last, and last night (the second night) I slept only 3 hours. bleccccchhh
Third night in I slept really well. Fourth night, now, it is close to 3am and I am fairly wide awake. Not. Cool. This is the same attern as when I took 500mg+ of L carnitine Fumarate, and this time I have only taken 50mg. :rolleyes:

Remind me never to take this again!

heapsreal

Third night in I slept really well. Fourth night, now, it is close to 3am and I am fairly wide awake. Not. Cool. This is the same attern as when I took 500mg+ of L carnitine Fumarate, and this time I have only taken 50mg. :rolleyes:

Remind me never to take this again!

What about using carnitine 2 days on and 1 day off or 1 on and 1 off, just an idea??

cheers!!!