• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Women: change in your periods when starting MethylB12?

TheMoonIsBlue

Have any women had a change in their periods when starting Methylb12 and possibly ADb12?

Most notably, continuous light spotting between your cycle?

Cant be methylfolate, been on that for a long time.

Could be none of the above also and just coincidence!

Calathea

I haven't started methylation yet, but I have had times when I've had spotting (mostly due to having a copper IUD). The best solution I've found is essential fatty acids. I was taking echium oil as it's meant to be the best vegetarian source of Omega 3, but non-veggies usually go for fish oil. This effect has been reported with both fish oil and evening primrose oil supplementation, along with making periods less heavy. I know that Omega 3 supplementation is quite popular, and I think amongst people who do the methylation protocol, so I'm wondering if this makes any sense in that context?

blossom

After starting the methylation protocol I had continuous light spotting also between my cycle. I also have a copper T, but do not normally have this problem. It went away when I stopped the protocol.

TheMoonIsBlue

I had to stop fish oil because it was causing pretty large bruises with only 2 capsules a WEEK. Someone suggested I may be Low in vit K.

I've never had spotting like this before. It just started when I started the B12.

I only ever had this continuous bleeding two other times- Once is when I was on LDN- It made my periods unbelievably heavy, much longer,and I once bled for almost 3 weeks straight. I had to stop it. It made me ill in other ways as well. No one else seems to have had that reaction to LDN though i.e. making them bleed like crazy for for so long.

Calathea

Not that I'm suggesting you try it, but purely as an academic point, I wonder if you'd get the same thing occurring with other EFA supplements? I can tolerate echium oil, algae oil, starflower (borage) oil and evening primrose oil, for instance, but put me on flaxseed oil and I get horrible breast pain. Anyway, I have no idea how often that works for people, I just thought I'd throw it in there as something to discuss. If EFA supplementation can decrease spotting, maybe B12 can deplete EFAs?

TheMoonIsBlue

Hmm....i just had flaxseed oil on a salad yesterday. I am wondering what role Vitamin E plays in all this. whether to supplement or not. You always read conflicting things about vit E supps

L'engle

moogle
I haven't had any problems myself. I do go off methyl b12 for one or two days each month, since it is easier to build back blood volume if I don't have the potassium loss on those days and can eat lots of salt to build blood.

Thanks for posting though. If I have any changes I'll consider that they might from the supplements. I've been taking them for a year without any period problems.

Seadragon

Starting Freddd's protocol brought my periods back to normal.

Before that, I thought I was going into early menopause, very light short periods, lots of period pain, heavy sweats and bad PMT.

I've been doing the Active B12 protocol for just over two months and both periods I have had since starting on it have been normal again with less pain, less PMT and only one slight night sweat the day before.

Not sure which of the vitamins/supplements has helped or if all of it together has helped. I've felt many small improvements in my health so far but this was one of the first I noticed.

Love Esperanza x

TheMoonIsBlue

Damn, now it's like I've got my period all over again. I just got thru with that hell less than 10 days ago. Thanks, mother nature. Womans curse :mad: Seriously wonder what is causing this. Other than the MethylB12 and tiny bit of Adb12 the only other thing different is I finally got to get a little SUNLIGHT on my skin for 3 days. Could my body producing Vit D trigger hormonal changes? (and no, I ditched vit d supps a while back I became intolerant)

Calathea

Light exposure can affect hormonal levels, yes. It's not about Vit D as far as I know, but rather melatonin. There have been a few studies about nighttime light exposure mid-cycle stimulating ovulation. And then there's all the research into how shift workers (who have chronically low melatonin levels as a result of not getting enough darkness) have sky-high rates of breast cancer and other hormonal problems. I've never heard of what you describe, but then it's not as if anyone is researching this sort of thing in ME, and we are strange sensitive creatures who can end up doing all sorts of things. Are you sure it's a real period, though? With that sort of timeframe, it's more likely to be heavy mid-cycle bleeding.

I've been wondering for ages: what does your avatar depict?

L'engle

moogle
the avatar: I think it's the Alfred Hitchcock shadow?

Sorry to hear about the excess bleeding. That is miserable. I've never had that, thank goodness.

TheMoonIsBlue

I don't know if it is a period of mid cycle bleeding.......because I never had mid cycle bleeding before (except once as mentioned with LDN). But the bleeding is heavier today than yesterday. My "real" period ended on the 19th. Then I started bleeding lightly again only a few days after it ended and it is still going....

The avatar is nothing less than the master of suspense himself: Alfred Hitchcock. It hard to tell though isn't it....

caledonia

Moon is Blue's avatar is the outline of film director Alfred Hitchcock.

I've had a bit of mid-cycle spotting with DHEA, and close periods (like 3 weeks apart) from pregnenolone and/or adrenal cortex extract. So maybe the methylation supps are revving up your adrenals and/or sex/menstruation hormones?

TheMoonIsBlue

So maybe the methylation supps are revving up your adrenals and/or sex/menstruation hormones?

Hope I don't get too "SEXY", what being a single gal and all!! :p

Too many hormones and not a MAN IN SIGHT:D

But its Ok because I think I forgot how to "do it" LMAO You just lay there, right?!?!

Calathea

Sometimes you wiggle a bit.

Bleeding of this type is not fun at all, you have my sympathy. I'm trying to think of Helpful Things to suggest, apart from making sure that you get enough iron.

I still can't see how that would look anything like Hitchcock or any other bloke. It looks to me like a pregnant woman crossed with a breast with perhaps a hairdo involved. I'm just not seeing it, am I. Could someone explain it to me?

TheMoonIsBlue

Sometimes you wiggle a bit.

Bleeding of this type is not fun at all, you have my sympathy. I'm trying to think of Helpful Things to suggest, apart from making sure that you get enough iron.

I still can't see how that would look anything like Hitchcock or any other bloke. It looks to me like a pregnant woman crossed with a breast with perhaps a hairdo involved. I'm just not seeing it, am I. Could someone explain it to me?

HaHa! Now that made me giggle....the wiggle part....

Poor Hitch, that is the Shadow he walked into every week on the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" show, (you can see the show on YouTub), and you mock him. Perhaps I will look for another picture of him to use.

Calathea

I'm not mocking him, I am truly absolutely puzzled! Which line is meant to represent what? And it's a perfectly nice avatar, don't feel you need to change it. There's nothing wrong with being a bit mysterious.

*looks it up on YouTube* Oh, it's sort of a face! OK, that kind of makes sense now.

TheMoonIsBlue

:D Look up an old episode of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents show on YouTube (seasons 1-5), you can see him walk into the shadow. And the one like this: ( is his cheek...or large jowls The two litte lines sticking out from that his large lips and the line sticking out above that his nose

The show is on DVD also, if you like old mystery shows, though they are being stingy releasing all the season the in US!

Athene

ihateticks.me
I didn't get any changes to periods on B12.
BUT
I did have a longish period of spotting between every period a long while before I took B12. And that I why I have to be the bearer of bad tidings, because I now know all about this very irritating problem: You have to go and get an ultrasound of your Ahem, as this can potentially indicate some serious things.
I had umpteen tests done down there to make sure it was nothing nasty. It's not very nice, they have to shove the.. oh actually no, I won't tell you.
In my case it luckily turned out to be that I had temporarily stopped ovulating and after about a year it went back to normal.