• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vitamin D levels predict gc-MAF response?

cigana

Hi,

I am aware in the main thread on gcAF that it was at least orginally thought that VDR genetics deterine our reponse to gcMAF. However according to this blog:

http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/247-gcmaf

it possibly no longer does - is that right? According to the blog, however:

"That said, Vitamin D levels do correlate with the positive response rate of GcMAF. Thus, Vitamin D supplementation may be required in order to optimize outcome."

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Which is most important, having good vit-D levels or good VDR results?

Thanks

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Huh:(
I was thinking of going to get GcMAF in a few weeks, I had poor Vit D and VDR levels so that doesn't bode well for me.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Can anyone confirm or deny this? Which is most important, having good vit-D levels or good VDR results?

In my opinion neither matters. What matters with gcmaf is how sick you are / how much inflammation you have. The less inflammation you have the better you are likely to do with gcmaf.

Ocean

In my opinion neither matters. What matters with gcmaf is how sick you are / how much inflammation you have. The less inflammation you have the better you are likely to do with gcmaf.
How do you know how much inflammation you have?

Ocean

Getting your inflammatory cytokines tested is one way.

Sushi
Thanks Sushi. Do you think that's a test my infectious disease doctor could order? And if so, is there anything I can say to my doctor to make a convincing case as to why to order it? I think this doctor likes to order tests that will have some sort of possible treatment attached. I guess the treatment could be GcMAF but since this doctor doesn't prescribe that, I don't know if that reason would suffice. I'm wondering if there's any other reason I can ask for it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
You could look up some research articles...but most with ME/CFS have high inflammatory cytokines so it is one of the biomarkers--which isn't enough alone for a diagnosis but can be factored in with other things to make a diagnosis. Any doctor can order a panel of inflammatory cytokines.

There are many ways of treating inflammation. With GcMAF it is monitored because activating the immune system usually brings inflammation and it is important information to have and watch, re dosing.

But treating inflammation is a good thing to do for most of us. It is likely that a number of our symptoms come from inflammation.

Best,
Sushi

Ocean

Thanks Sushi. What are some other ways of treating inflammation? Other than over the counter anti-inflammatories, which I don't know if those help with this kind of inflammation or not anyway, but I can't tolerate those kinds of over the counter meds anyway. Is GcMAF not good for those with autoimmune conditions then, if it activates the immune system?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks Sushi. What are some other ways of treating inflammation? Other than over the counter anti-inflammatories, which I don't know if those help with this kind of inflammation or not anyway, but I can't tolerate those kinds of over the counter meds anyway. Is GcMAF not good for those with autoimmune conditions then, if it activates the immune system?

Hi Ocean,

This is pretty complex to discuss! You really need to know more about the source of the inflammation to find the right treatment. There are herbal treatments that help some and there are a number of threads on this. Other ways are directly treating the source of the inflammation and this would require quite a bit of diagnostic testing.

Doctors who give GcMAF generally do a lot of testing before prescribing it to see if it is suitable for you. I think you would have to get their opinion about using it if you know you have an autoimmune condition.

Best,
Sushi

Ocean

Hi Ocean,

This is pretty complex to discuss! You really need to know more about the source of the inflammation to find the right treatment. There are herbal treatments that help some and there are a number of threads on this. Other ways are directly treating the source of the inflammation and this would require quite a bit of diagnostic testing.

Doctors who give GcMAF generally do a lot of testing before prescribing it to see if it is suitable for you. I think you would have to get their opinion about using it if you know you have an autoimmune condition.

Best,
Sushi
I may contact one of these doctors and see if they are able to tell me anything about that before I make a decision to travel a long way for a visit, thanks.

ukxmrv

Maybe the MAF314 is a gentler way to start for patients who can tolerate milk products?

I was lucky in that I responded well to MAF314 and just managed to get some more from a generous donor.

I've had no testing before the MAF314 such as Nagalase. My Vit D levels have only been tested over the years by the NHS and I found one old private test and they were fine. I'm aware though that they are old and don't tell me exactly what they tested.

The TH1/TH2 testing I had done a few times but most recently years ago and showed very high and very low levels of different things. The one that always stuck in my mind was how high the TNF-a was. Had an experimental treatment and the TNF-a did go down. Don't know what my current levels are.

I've had what I think could be IRIS or another reaction with a very painful throat and glands but i can cut down the yoghurt until that goes down and then start again. My tonsils became very inflamed and when I went back on some of the papers from Dr Ruggerio et al I found a hypothetsis that activation could be from the Waldeyer's ring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldeyer's_tonsillar_ring

When I had the reaction I took Benadrl, Ibuprofen and Daosin. it eventually die down and I'm having the same reaction now to the new MAF 314.

Just an idea. We don't have very much data on people taking MAF314. Obviously it's out of the question for people who cannot tolerate cows milk.