• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

where can i get my blood drawn privately in the UK - locally if possible

snowathlete

I want to have a Nagalase test done, for which i need to have some blood drawn and then get it posted via courier to the http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/ in the netherlands for testing.

Does anyone know how i find a local phlebotomy lab to take my blood?

Best

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Snowathlete, have you asked your GP surgery? Whenever i have had a private test they have been happy to take my blood for free - if not they might charge you to do it. I think my surgery figures its the least they can do for me aas they dont do anyhting else.

Hope you get it sorted soon - are you thinking of doing GCMaf? Been thinking about this more myself recently - although i dont want to go it alone and dont know if there are any UK docs doing it.
Justy.

RosieBee

Although my doctors are antagonistic and unhelpful I am permitted to have blood draws if I pay.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hope you get it sorted soon - are you thinking of doing GCMaf? Been thinking about this more myself recently - although i dont want to go it alone and dont know if there are any UK docs doing it.
Justy.

Would Dr. Myhill consider supervising you on GcMAF. She could probably consult with one of the doctors who have a lot of experience with it.

Best,
Sushi

snowathlete

Maybe they would. Truth is, I just dont think I can face another let down from my GP. I already find myself avoiding going back for other routine problems because I just feel so antagonized already.

But it is local, so I guess I'll go see.

Does anyone know if you must have a doctor order the test from the lab, or can you do it direct?
I'm going to phone fedex tomorrow to see about the cost and logistics of transporting the sample.

Yes justy, I'm thinking of GcMaf. Sushi has very patiently answered alot of my questions and I think its the most promising option. Im likley to go see Dr Meiler in Belgium. By Eurostar its easy and cheap, and his charges are very reasonable. The blood tests through his lab are about a third cheaper than the breakspear too, which was the other option i had considered.
Id be intersted in seeing Enlander too, but he is in NY and only occationally comes to the UK.

I've been getting worse lately and i feel like i have to try something. Im sick of waiting around to either get better or die.

xrunner

You don't say where "local" is. In London Biolab do everything for you from drawing to shipping. If London's too far away, perhaps you can call them up and ask if they know a lab near you.

aquariusgirl

My mum's GP surgery uses a centralised facility for blood draws. My mum goes to her GP, gets an order for some routine bloodwork & while we are down there, we just ask the staff to draw extra blood for private tests. Hasn't failed yet.

If that doesn't work.. y not find a nurse and pay her privately to do it... It's just a blood draw. It can be done at home with the right equipment.

ukxmrv

Some ME patients at home have paid for a local nurse to come to their home for a blood draw. Depending on what your PCT funds there may be a nurse who does home visits for people just released from hospital etc. My PCT has a contract to a group who provides this service and when contacted direct they offered to do this for a fee.

Also there are nurses who belong to commercial groups for example, cord blood storage, who could be paid to come and do this. Other patients use their services. Your local MS group for example may know of someone.

snowathlete

Thanks for all the ideas. The blood needs to be drawn, centrifuges and then frozen -20 do it's not so easy. Struggling to find an answer. I'm going to see my GP see if they will help.

Supposedly Boots will draw blood at some of their stores, but I doubt they could centrifuge or freeze.

In the past have dropped in at a local private hospital ran by Nuffield Health, and they have centrifuged a plasma test for me before. It costs something like £25; I don't think they charged extra for the centrifuge. It's enough money to make me think twice about getting a test, but it is preferable to facing my GP.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Would Dr. Myhill consider supervising you on GcMAF. She could probably consult with one of the doctors who have a lot of experience with it.

Best,
Sushi
Yes Sushi - have been considering this avenue. Am going to make it my mission to read the GcMAF thread when i feel up to it. I guess the main drawback would be money (sorry for going off thread)