• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sinus improvement from daily Claritin

IreneF

I've had a sinus headache for at least five years. They got so bad that I had a few courses of antibiotics. I tried steroid spray, and my regular doc recommended a neti pot (which I didn't have the energy to use) plus I used Vicodin on bad days.

I've been taking loratidine (generic Claritin) for a few months, and my headaches have gotten much better. I no longer have bloody gunk coming out of my nose. I'm having a bad day today and I am feeling only modest facial pressure.

Has anyone else tried this? How common are chronic sinus conditions?

Irene

nanonug

I've had a sinus headache for at least five years. [...] I've been taking loratidine (generic Claritin) for a few months, and my headaches have gotten much better. I no longer have bloody gunk coming out of my nose. I'm having a bad day today and I am feeling only modest facial pressure.

Have a look at this document, particular Figure 1, and see how many symptoms you have: Histamine and Histamine Intolerance.

Has anyone else tried this?

I take Allegra but the idea is the same. Claritin makes me too sleepy.

How common are chronic sinus conditions?

As in people with ME? No idea, but I am convinced that histamine is a mediator in many of the symptoms experinced by a subset of PwME.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
...I take Allegra but the idea is the same. Claritin makes me too sleepy....
As in people with ME? No idea, but I am convinced that histamine is a mediator in many of the symptoms experinced by a subset of PwME.

Sinus problems are very common in ME. I also take Allegra but when I treat the gut my sinuses improve.

Sushi

SOC

Daughter and I both take Zyrtec 2x daily -- so more than the normal dose. I think sinus and ear conditions are an effect of immune problems. In any case, antihistamines should help reduce sinus problems. I'm surprised your docs didn't try them sooner.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Same here. Have you done any testing directed at your gut?

Hi nanonug,

Yes, I have done a lot. The latest was the metagenomic stool test from RedLabs in Belgium. I am starting more gut treatments right now.

Best,
Sushi

IreneF

Daughter and I both take Zyrtec 2x daily -- so more than the normal dose. I think sinus and ear conditions are an effect of immune problems. In any case, antihistamines should help reduce sinus problems. I'm surprised your docs didn't try them sooner.

I never talked to a doc about it. I thought it was independent of my cfs/me.

Irene

SOC

I never talked to a doc about it. I thought it was independent of my cfs/me.

Irene

Well, yeah, so did I. :D But I would have thought they'd try antihistamines just because of the persistent sinus problems. Shows you what I know. ;)

ukxmrv

Chronic sinus conditions have been discussed a lot on CFS and ME groups so I guessing that they are really common.

The sinus infection I had was eating through that area (shown on a scan) and my ENT consultant wanted to operate but I was really lucky and got it mainly under control using a Gossan Irrigator. Tried neti pots, steaming, antihistamines (inc Claritin) first and was pretty desperate. The antibiotic that helps me the most is doxy but only if I keep taking it and it messes with my stomach.

Some people find that anti-fungals either in a wash or generally help their sinus problems but that didn't clear mine up. The Mayo Clinic released something on fungal sinus infections a while back.

Enid

Just to add I too had chronic sinus problems (along with all the other ME symptoms) and found a distict improvement following a high dose course of antibiotics (Amoxicillan) following extraction of two infected roots by my dentist. Alo GI problems eased considerably. Masses of Probiotics to repopulate the gut afterwards seem to have done wonders too - no more offensive stools. I feel there must be a link here somewhere of eg bacterial overgrowth.

SOC

Okay, here's some wild speculation for you....

Many or all of us have some sort of problem with the part of our immune systems that handle intracellular pathogens, either NKC dysfunction or cytotoxic T-cell dysfunction. Maybe the bacteria or fungi causing the chronic sinus infections are intracellular? Just speculation, I'd have to do some research to sort out if that's even likely.

Then there's the Th17-related cytokines and whatnot that nanonug and I have been discussing recently. They deal with mucosal immunity. Maybe low Th17 branch immune function gives poor mucosal barriers, which doesn't sound good for the nasal passages. Again, just speculation.

IreneF

Do you have any gut issues?

I had gut issues--probably irritable bowel syndrome--for years before I started getting cfs symptoms, but they went away. I also had nausea until fairly recently. I never connected the relief of the nausea to taking antihistamines, but maybe that's what happened. My other symptoms are as bad as ever.

I will suggest antihistamines to my daughter for her gut problems.

Irene

oh yes- ive had frequest nose and sinus problems for years.
what helps-
singulair (rx pill) for allergies and asthma
steroid nasal spray (rx) like nasonex or flonase etc
OTC allergy med like Claratin
the neti pot (i have the one by Neil Med) is a hassle to use, but does help

when things get BAD- i take all above plus--- benadryl, sudafed (to help open passages) and if i get infection will go on antibiotics.
take care!