• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mutaflor side effects, anyone?

Ivana

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has taken Mutaflor or mutaflor 100? Im on my second course of it and i find that both times it hhas given me extreme nusea, stomach pains and worsened fatigue. Any one know why this is? Or has similar experience with it?

Best wishes
ivana

nanonug

just wondering if anyone has taken Mutaflor or mutaflor 100? Im on my second course of it and i find that both times it hhas given me extreme nusea, stomach pains and worsened fatigue.

If you feel worse on probiotics, in my opinion that signals a good chance of SIBO.

Sparrow

I've had issues with some probiotics and particularly prebiotics, but Mutaflor was fine for me. I hate all of this stuff, though - so hard to tell if you're reacting poorly to it, or whether it's killing off something and the consequences feel like crap. If the side effects didn't die down last time, though, I would say get off it.

Ivana

Thanks for your replies.
Yeah it sucks not knowing what is causing the side-effects. I write everything down so I can look back and see if there is a pattern forming when I start taking certain meds.

I think I have SIBO as I have intolerances, I'll ask my doctor about it this week.

Crux

I'm bumping this thread in case anyone is kind of like me. ( doesn't test much, low money,etc.)

I received the Mutaflor yesterday, popped one in my mouth, and then read the insert. It's not for immune-compromised folks, like those with AIDS, lymphoma, or on long term corticosteroid treatment.

I realize this is a common warning with supplements and drugs, but I felt I should include it. ( Disclosure: I've been on long term corticosteroid treatment.)

The particular Mutaflor I received was expired. 03/06/2015.

I was going to test the viability of it, but, since I experienced some of the usual side effects from other probiotics, I no longer feel the need.

The side effects were : neuritis in my feet...that buzzing of the nerves feeling, ( not pain or numbness), and a canker sore.

This is enough of a warning to stop. Continued use of other probiotics has proven this to me. ( more neuritis, more cankers, pain, etc.)

Well, it looks like I'll be battling (suspected) SIBO and lactic acidosis for a long while.

Anyway, hope this saves someone some money,and stuff.