• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bond university news

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Bond uni in australia has just finished its cfs study on natural killer function which was over an 18month period with testing every 6 months. Bond university is a private university and probably doesnt get the funding of some of the public universities. The research team that carried out this recent study are moving to Griffith University school of medicine on the Gold Coast and will be carrying out further research into me/cfs and will continue to collaborate with Bond university.

I dont know how much this will change things but i would think griffith university would have alot more resources. Griffith uni also trains alot more doctors and nurses etc so maybe if a new breed of health care staff are informed of cfs/me being a real immunological disorder, it will plant the seed for further research and treatment.

cheers!!!

Googsta

Doing Well
Griffith uni also trains alot more doctors and nurses etc so maybe if a new breed of health care staff are informed of cfs/me being a real immunological disorder, it will plant the seed for further research and treatment.

Great news Heaps :thumbsup:

Ecoclimber

Thanks for this news heaps! Sounds promising!

Landmark Grant for ME/CFS research - over $800,000!
Mason award landmark grant for CFS research

Researchers at Bond University have received a landmark grant of over $800,000 to continue their ground-breaking research into identifying the cause and possible treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

In what is the largest-ever collaborative international CFS project, Bonds Public Health and Neuroimmunology Unit (PHANU), in partnership with Queensland Health, Stanford University and Incline Village Medical Centre in Nevada, will receive a total of $831,037 over the next four years from the Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannett Williams Memorial Foundation (the Mason Foundation).

http://www.nidalliance.org/news/landmark-grant-for-me-cfs-research-over-800000.html

Neuro-Immune Disease Alliance Mission

heapsreal

Its good to see queensland health involved, for all those non aussie people, queensland health is the government health system of one of the states in australia. With government investment hopefully more research and treatment will be easier to push forward.

cheers!!!

taniaaust1

I think Queensland health system is the only aussie state health system which puts money into ME/CFS.. please correct me someone if Im wrong.
Funded by a series of grants from the Mason Foundation, the Ramicotti Foundation, the Alison Hunter Memorial Foundation and a Queensland Smart State Grant, their research has focussed on abnormalities in the blood profiles of CFS sufferers and identifying the biomarkers responsible.

For anyone who doesnt know the Mason foundation (the Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannett Williams Memorial Foundation) has funded most of the Australian ME/CFS studies over many many years, (they also fund the Adelaide CFS research group too (a group of CFS researchers in Sth Australia).

If it wasnt for the Mason Foundation.... Australia would even have half the ME/CFS studies it has out there.

Good to see Alison Hunter Memorial Foundation still around and able to collect enough donations to fund studies too. (Alison Hunter passed away due to ME/CFS while still in her teens).

Its sad that nearly all the funding in Australia is done is relying on private donations to foundations, rather then government money (to the exception of the state of Queensland).

I really urge those able to do so to support these foundations which have put a lot into the ME/CFS field.

taniaaust1

heapsreal. Do you know when the study is supposed to get published?
(I know the Adelaide ones I was in.. took 3 years before they were so Im really wondering what time period we may be looking at).

heapsreal

heapsreal. Do you know when the study is supposed to get published?
(I know the Adelaide ones I was in.. took 3 years before they were so Im really wondering what time period we may be looking at).

Parts i think have, basicall they tested nk function as well as bright nk cells and dimm nk cells, cfsers consistently showed poor bright cell nk function as well as general nk function. Bright cells function to balance the immune system and dimm cells kill microbial particles and viruses.

They said they will be starting a new study soon which i think is looking into and comparing nk function(bright, dim etc) in me/cfs, rheumatiod arthritis and MS. I think their main goals are to find a diagnostic test for me/cfs, which i think is what Dan peterson is interested in which he may use for different treatments he is looking into??

cheers!!!

Tania, aren't they still doing the followup brain scan study in Adelaide? I recall you posting that they still needed people? I participated in 2010.

taniaaust1

Tania, aren't they still doing the followup brain scan study in Adelaide? I recall you posting that they still needed people? I participated in 2010.

I dont know.. I cant remember (I dont remember my own posts.. maybe I should start looking for them).
They've done follow up studies in past.. and I have no idea right now if more follow ups are being done.

taniaaust1

thanks a lot.. I just checked it out the link and now see it was only end of last year they were study recruiting again.

I remember now since seeing that link, that I got that from Aussie ME/CFS society info, so I'll correct my other post saying I didnt know if adelaide research group is around and still being funded by the Mason foundation.

Im glad my memory is much much better then it used to be, thou its still very poor and struggling to comprehend time periods hence my confusion.

usedtobeperkytina

Very

Very happy. I think it would be poetic justice, a kind of equalizing in the universe, if Peters made the big breakthrough. (Real one) Biomarker. Can I hear three cheers for a biomarker?

Biomarker, hip, hip, hooray!

[video=youtube_share;tn7k16gqkAI]http://youtu.be/tn7k16gqkAI[/video]

Tina