• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D lactate and fatigue/lethargy

Hi everyone. I am not a ME/CFS sufferer but I feel compelled to share my experience with someone in case it is of value.

I have experienced bouts of heavy fatigue, especially in the morning, and very unrefreshing sleep. I recently discovered that this is very likely occurring after I have a probiotic (advertised as high strength) with organisms that produce d-lactate. I found information on this site and elsewhere about the posited connection beteen d-lactate and CFS symptoms.

Fortunately, the fatigue that I experience is transient, lifting even throughout the day, although I feel absolutely awful the whole day and more. I experienced transient diarrhea the following day, further suggesting the probiotic was the cause. Although it is transient, it is a deep lethargy/fatigue. I can imagine what it is like to have this on an ongoing basis because I suffered CFS symptoms twenty years ago for about three months. Fortunately, for whatever reason, they disappeared and didn't return.

I am thinking about self-experimenting by taking another of these probiotics to see whether it induces the same fatigue again. I won't do so for a while, though, because the next day is just awful.

S

nanonug

I have experienced bouts of heavy fatigue, especially in the morning, and very unrefreshing sleep. I recently discovered that this is very likely occurring after I have a probiotic (advertised as high strength) with organisms that produce d-lactate.

Thank you for sharing this experience. D-lactate is a potential bad actor and probably one very good reason to avoid certain probiotics. Metametrix offers several tests that measure urinary D-lactate. One of them is the Organix Dysbiosis Profile.