• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Turning the Corner? University Gives WPI Strong Show of Support

I thought Hunter sounded a bit embarrassed. To me, it just sounded like the WPI had access to fund and political contacts, and the university wants to share them.

I think that up until recently I had quite an idealistic view of how academia worked, and I still feel a bit queasy about anything other than debate, discussion and an honest pursuit of truth influencing the way in which academics behave.

There are big question marks over the competence of the WPI imo.

ps: Thanks for the article.

I thought Hunter sounded a bit embarrassed. To me, it just sounded like the WPI had access to fund and political contacts, and the university wants to share them.

I think that up until recently I had quite an idealistic view of how academia worked, and I still feel a bit queasy about anything other than debate, discussion and an honest pursuit of truth influencing the way in which academics behave.

There are big question marks over the competence of the WPI imo.

ps: Thanks for the article.

I think we should know pretty quickly about how good the WPI's research end is....Several papers are being worked on - if they turn out to be significant then the WPI will start to form a good foundation post-XMRV...

A walk through the WPI was enough to convince me, if I needed convincing, that it would benefit all of us if the WPI was to succeed and succeed very well. We need all the help we can get. Vinnie Lombardi doesn't have a long string of research papers behind his name but, at least to this layman, he seemed quite competent....I left a short visit there feeling good about them.

This is a very important year for the WPI - some successes on the research end would help enormously.

I agree the WPI has alot to do to renew peoples faith in them but I think it can be done and, if Dr. Lombardi is right about his studies, it will be done. Just taking a very clinical look at the state of the CFS field, this is too important a facility to not give them a second chance. Walking around a facility built to understand ME/CFS is kind of amazing...Just building that building was an amazing accomplishment and took an enormous amount of work and displayed an enormous amount of commitment. There's nothing like it in the ME/CFS world.

The WPI was thrown into a kind of maelstrom and sometimes they did things that I think hurt them and the ME/CFS Community. They could have handled XMRV in a way that left them smelling like a rose. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I think the passion to uncover the source of ME/CFS which got lost a bit in the ups and downs and who's right and who's wrong of XMRV - is still there.

They have a chance to start over - and go back to the work they were engaged in pre-XMRV. I don't know what they're going to do on the clinic side without Dr. Peterson but on the research side my guess is its going to work....I say give them another chance.

WPI gave me hope and the courage to seek treatment for ME CFS when I came back XMRV positive. It is amusing that XMRV is still being used as a marker? GcMAF? I always wondered why I have anti-bodies to mouse DNA in my blood? Oh Well. After further testing my chronic infections later proved the validity of my ME CFS illness.

WPI's success is very important to everyone who has this in-curable disease. New science alway's struggles. So we all struggle together. Hope is still alive. The fact that this facility is a reality is Hope to the tenth power.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. JOHN LENNON

Lets all believe in WPI together. That is reality.

WPI gave me hope and the courage to seek treatment for ME CFS when I came back XMRV positive. It is amusing that XMRV is still being used as a marker? GcMAF? I always wondered why I have anti-bodies to mouse DNA in my blood? Oh Well. After further testing my chronic infections later proved the validity of my ME CFS illness.

WPI's success is very important to everyone who has this in-curable disease. New science alway's struggles. So we all struggle together. Hope is still alive. The fact that this facility is a reality is Hope to the tenth power.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. JOHN LENNON

Lets all believe in WPI together. That is reality.

Glad to hear that the process lead to further understanding of your illness :)

Moderation - quote removed.
Wow, Eucalypta - tell us what you really think:)...

I see it as a group of people, lead by Dr. Mikovits obviously, who got over-attached to their finding...I believe they believed they had found the answer. I was told about halfway through the process, from someone who had worked with Dr. Mikovits in the past, that she had a tendency to decide what to believe in... that obviously happened with XMRV - they didn't start really checking for contamination until after someone else found it.

That initial finding, though, spawned 100's of papers in a subject that was getting little research, and it landed in one of the top journals in the world - so it was a very good initial finding. it was a good paper and, I think to most peoples surprise, it didn't work out...Its easy to see how one could get caught up in it...that's my interpretation of what happened.

I believe history will show that the WPI -XMRV debate brought much needed light to the darkness in our lives and to the scientific community. It was a big stumble but one that may have been necessary. IMHO

I agree the WPI has alot to do to renew peoples faith in them but I think it can be done and, if Dr. Lombardi is right about his studies, it will be done. Just taking a very clinical look at the state of the CFS field, this is too important a facility to not give them a second chance. Walking around a facility built to understand ME/CFS is kind of amazing...Just building that building was an amazing accomplishment and took an enormous amount of work and displayed an enormous amount of commitment. There's nothing like it in the ME/CFS world.

The WPI was thrown into a kind of maelstrom and sometimes they did things that I think hurt them and the ME/CFS Community. They could have handled XMRV in a way that left them smelling like a rose. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I think the passion to uncover the source of ME/CFS which got lost a bit in the ups and downs and who's right and who's wrong of XMRV - is still there.

They have a chance to start over - and go back to the work they were engaged in pre-XMRV. I don't know what they're going to do on the clinic side without Dr. Peterson but on the research side my guess is its going to work....I say give them another chance.

Well said as usual, Cort. WPI's only sin was trying to help us 'too much'. All the trashing of Mikovits was out of line. She had the best of intentions. I sometimes wonder about the venal attacking and mutual trashing among the scientists. It totally got out of hand. It reminded me a little bit of the occasions when academics are accused of plagarism. Is the world really going to collapse into the sea if an academic error is made? Is Mikovits sin really worse than being a serial killer? It really seemed so, judging by some things I read. Poor gal, I hope she finds some meaningful work somewhere in the scientific world.

I'd support WPI again if I didn't see them suing Mikovits for the salary they paid her. If patients were to take that attitude, we would sue WPI for all the donations we gave. OTOH, maybe they dropped this suit. Or maybe it's a myth. I'd like to know before I start trusting them again.