• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resveratrol [...] is a functional scavenger of peroxynitrite

nanonug

Isn't this flavanoids (not just Resveratrol) claim to fame? Their potent peroxynitrite scavenging ability?

I don't know if direct scavenging ability has been demonstrated for other flavonoids. On top of that, resveratrol appears to be quite powerful in that respect.

FancyMyBlood

Too bad resveratrol has terrible bioavailabilty. It's possible that it's metabolites have peroxynitrite scavenger properties, though.

hixxy

I too am starting Resveratrol. Not because of this thread, but it was prescribed for me earlier in the week by my doctor. Hopefully I have more luck tolerating this flavanoid than others!!

Rolo

Too ill to twist
Hi Sushi, Hixxy, NanoNug,

I'm also interested in taking resveratrol.

How did you react on resveratrol. Positive? Negative? Side Effects?

What dose did you take?.

Thanks for the feedback, Rolo

alex3619

I have been taking resveratrol off and on for months.

It can induce severe insomnia by inhibiting phosphodiesterase 4.

It has been linked to poor vascular wound healing.

It is suspected of being dangerous in high doses or taken for too long.

However it is also one of the very few agents though to have strong life extension properties, and may have positive impact in a wide range of conditions. It is also an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.

The impact on phosphodiesterase will alter the cAMP/Ca++ intracellular messaging balance. This can be a good thing I think, or a bad thing, it depends on the balance.

Even at very low doses (300mg) it can have a noticable impact from my experience, low absorption is not that important with something this powerful.

I am happy to compare notes with people.

The single biggest benefit I get from resveratrol is it totally inhibits my lung hypersensitivity - I get no more attacks while I am on resveratrol. This is presumed to be from its action on phosphodiesterase 4.

I am about to look into the peroxynitrite research and may say more later.

PNR2008

I have high cholesteral and have small cysts on skin around my eyes. On resveratrol it seems to bring "toxins" to the surface better to be eliminated. Does this seem likely?

Waverunner

I tried resveratrol (bought it from LEF) several times but it always caused huge brain fog for me. It felt like being very drunk or having the flu.

Rolo

Too ill to twist
Ok thanks for the reactions. Like always, we seam to react differently then most healthy people. I will post my experience's later

I tried resveratrol (bought it from LEF) several times but it always caused huge brain fog for me. It felt like being very drunk or having the flu.

Feeling drunk? Maybe not filtered enough, to much 'red wine' in the supplement ;-));):p

Waverunner

Ok thanks for the reactions. Like always, we seam to react differently then most healthy people. I will post my experience's later

Feeling drunk? Maybe not filtered enough, to much 'red wine' in the supplement ;-));):p

Next time I take the supplement and leave the three bottles of red wine alone, the supplement is cheaper anyway. ;)
It's not exactly like feeling drunk, it's more like being drugged and not being able to think normally. But it's worth a try.