• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myers cocktail anyone?

Nielk

Does anyone have first hand knowledge receiving Myers cocktail IV pushes?

Nielk

Everything:

Did you see benefits?
Were there side effects?
Did you have detox problems with it?
Why did you take it?

Thanks,
Nielk

nanonug

Did you see benefits?

It was the first real treatment that produced improvement in my chronic fatigue symptoms.

Were there side effects?

Not really.

I would get a glutathione shot immediately prior to the Myer's to deal with potential detox issues. As such, I don't recall ever having any strong detox issues.

Why did you take it?

Diagnosis: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Nowadays, I am convinced that most of the benefit came from mainly three things: IV glutathione, IV methylcobalamin and IV magnesium. These last two are part of the Myer's cocktail.

Here's an interesting article you might to want to read:

Intravenous Nutrient Therapy: the Myers Cocktail

voner

Nielk :

Over a decade ago I had probably 20 or so Myers cocktail pushes. No positive results or any type symptomatic change.

if you post over in the Detox: Methylation\B12\Glutathione\Chelation\. section of this forum -- I suspect Rich Vank. & associates will have some very specific comments for you concerning the B. vitamin makeup of the cocktail.........

They probably will have a lot of information about the usefulness or non-usefulness of a Myers cocktail.....

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

voner

xrunner

It was one of the first treatments I did a few months after falling ill. The regimen was the cocktail followed by glutathione. No side effects and no benefit.
Knowing what I know now, I'd stay away from any magnesium (and manganese) supplementation at all.
all the best

Hi Nielk,

I've also had the myers cocktail w/glutathione push first (have to wait 20 min.'s before meyers). I think it helps. It makes me more tired right after (high magnesium). I'm not cured and I can't afford them often - I get approx. 1 or 2 a month. I take them on faith that they are good in the long run. I'm better than I was is all I can say.

xchocoholic

I tried this last year. I had 5 or 6 a week apart delivered via iv fluids. With a glutathione push afterwards.
The first time it took about 4 hours because of the pain I got in the muscles near the injection site.
It took almost as long the next time. By the time I did the last one it was pain free and completed in record time.

That was the only gain I saw from this. Less muscle pain at injection site. No extra energy, no detox, no help with oi .. Nada .. My purse was a little lighter too. Not that I mind. I needed to try it to satisfy my curiosity.

If I did this again, I'd like to experiment with different nutrients each week to see if that made a difference. I'd leave it to my doctor to decide what to try.

Tc .. X

sempre_bc

Recovered.
Started them 5 months after experiencing symptoms of CFS - I've been on 5 weeks of Myer's IV with glutathione injection with my Naturopath- two times a week and I've experienced only slight improvements but this could be due to me not working anymore as of two weeks ago (based on my doctor's instructions) - definitely not cured because of this protocol at this point. Slight improvements (i.e. don't feel like death when I wake up in the mornings) could also be due to the detox diet I've been on for the last month - I still get the sick malaise feeling (which I have difficulty describing to people) from time to time, also can't stay asleep through the night, feeling hot when there is no temperature, body aches and tenderness that moves from different parts of the body from time to time, fatigue still hits when I feel sick and my bowel movements still are more often loose than not. I been taking some supplements for Liver/GI detox and probiotics as well. I stopped with the glutathione injections on my last visit as I found that after my visits I experienced heightened body aches/tenderness/pain that night. Naturopath suggests I keep going for another couple weeks and if nothing significantly improves, then we will have to change protocols - ya think? He said that you wouldn't see any changes for at least 4 - 6 weeks initially when I started treatment and he even mentioned that there is a clinic in Ontario, Canada that suggests a minimum of 20 treatments or more perhaps. Anyways, I likely will go for a couple more and then call it a day and try something else... what that might be who knows.

GracieJ

I had a modified Myers cocktail IV push every month for years. Can't really compare, I guess, as my naturopath did a custom mix for me. However, it is due to this IV push that I was able to do as much as I did from 1999 to about 2007. In addition to the base recipe, he added ACE (adrenal cortex extract) and extra vitamin C. I discontinued the IV pushes when ACE was no longer available, as ACE in my case was like pouring water on a dry plant and seeing it revive. The B vitamins were a huge bonus as well, and if I can get to where I can afford it again, will be going back to the same naturopath for the vitamin/mineral "Myers." What another doctor gave me as a Myers cocktail just didn't do much at all, and was a lot more expensive.

GracieJ

It was one of the first treatments I did a few months after falling ill. The regimen was the cocktail followed by glutathione. No side effects and no benefit.
Knowing what I know now, I'd stay away from any magnesium (and manganese) supplementation at all.
all the best

Magnesium and manganese are two of my most significant deficiencies. Guess we are all different.

richvank

Nielk :

Over a decade ago I had probably 20 or so Myers cocktail pushes. No positive results or any type symptomatic change.

if you post over in the Detox: Methylation\B12\Glutathione\Chelation\. section of this forum -- I suspect Rich Vank. & associates will have some very specific comments for you concerning the B. vitamin makeup of the cocktail.........

They probably will have a lot of information about the usefulness or non-usefulness of a Myers cocktail.....

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

voner

Hi, voner and the group.

Myers cocktails have provided temporary help to some PWMEs/PWCs. Many are deficient in at least some of the ingredients of the Myers cocktail, so it makes sense that it would help, at least to some degree.

If you read the paper by Dr. Alan Gaby that nano posted, you will see that the Myers cocktail does not include folate, because folic acid was found to cause precipitation when mixed with the other nutrients. Were it not for this consequence of the chemistry, I think that Dr. John Myers might have had a methylation treatment many years ago, and his cocktail might have had more permanent effects in ME/CFS patients.

As Prof. Martin Pall has explained it, in ME/CFS the rise of peroxynitrite causes breakdown of methylfolate, and we do observe low methylfolate in the methylation pathways panel on untreated PWMEs. Together with the methyl trap mechanism, which converts other folates to methylfolate, the result is general depletion of folates.

So we have learned (actually from the autism researchers, especially Dr. S. Jill James) that it is necessary to supplement active folate (preferably methylfolate, but folinic acid also works for many people) together with high-dose B12 to overcome the partial block in the methylation cycle. This has been, in my opinion, a significant breakthrough. Prior to this, we knew from the work of Drs. Cheney and Lapp that high-dose B12 was helpful temporarily in ME/CFS,
and there was a clue in the work of Dr. Regland in Sweden that folate was necessary, too, but this had not been put together until the work of the DAN! project in autism, and particularly Dr. James's work. My contribution was to recognize that the main biochemical abnormality in autism is essentially the same as in ME/CFS (i.e. the partial block in the methylation cycle, coupled with low glutathione), and to suggest that the same type of treatment that was used by Dr. James for autism would also be helpful in ME/CFS. I think that Dr. Amy Yasko had also figured this out, maybe before I did. In any case, the combination of B12 and folate has turned out to be the key, and unfortunately folate could not be included in the IV Myers cocktail.

So I think that people with ME/CFS who get the Myers cocktail would likely receive more lasting benefit if they would also take an oral supplement of methylfolate (FolaPro or Metafolin or Quatrefolic) or folinic acid or both while they are getting the IV Myers cocktail. Then their cells will receive both the B12 and the active folate, together with the other nutrients that might be deficient.

If anybody tries this, I would appreciate it if you would post your results. Also, please coordinate with your doctor that you are taking the folate.

Best regards,

Rich

I was on an intense Myers cocktail (five times in about seven days) for a week in October. I saw Dr. Gez Agolli, ND, in Atlanta Georgia of Progressive Medical Centre and he suggested Myers cocktail + glutathione. I found that it was VERY helpful. I went from being in bed all the time, no social life, unable to exercise, tons of orthostatic symptoms, brain fog all day every day... just very mild ME stuff... to being an almost normal individual. Sure, I still have to take it easy, and it wasn't JUST the Myers/glutathione (iodine has been a huge help, and B vitamines), but it sure was a key player, I believe.

Now to get my gut issues straightened out...... :)

Hugo

Some minerals like magnesium and manganese (this one I just found out) help microbes make biofilm which is not easy to remedy. I had a lot of magnesium in the past and I seem to have loads of biofilm. It's one of the reason microbes become resistant to meds.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/tinagarcia/new treatment dramatic results.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16517137

Yes but microbes also deplete magnesium according to the same theory.. having low level of magnesium is not good for you either. Magnesium is an extremly important mineral and involved in a lot of processes. There are some treatments protocoll that recommend avoiding different minerals even in food. This is ofc very dangerous for the body and would not help the healing either since magnesium is an essential minerals.

Last edited:

Justin30

Everything:

Did you see benefits?
Were there side effects?
Why did you take it?

Thanks,
Nielk

Yes its one of only a handful of effective treatments for me. I am interested in high dose IV vit C as well (reduces and can eliminate sepsis which KDM and Lipkin believe at the rout of this thing) also high dose C is antiviral and anticancer. Also really important for those that are sick as the body uses more vit C....further it found in very high concentrations in the brain...

No side affects....accept when essential trace minerals were added...i think this has something to do with detox stuff like Chenney said about copper and iron

Was suggested by ME Drs 3 of them.

If this is a gut problem disease then getting nutrients is critical and would likely only come from IV if the Gut is not absorbing properly or deficient cause of the disease depleting nutrients.