• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improving heaps!

Gavman

Hi all, thought i'd throw a post out for whats working for me.

Hi all!

My mood has increased 50% and my energy has gone from probably a 3 to a 6 after two months.
I have been taking SAM-e(the precursors TMG 500mg and l-methionine 500mg) x1 a day,
B6 (50mg) and zinc (50mg) - morning and night.

Could be considered two of the cycles of the methylation cycle for undermethylators and pyroluria.

B6 has been very useful with sleep, it also has b2 to help utilise it. Zinc has been good for my skin pallor and energy. Also together it feels like they lift a weight off my head.
SAM-e has helped me with mood and relaxing my body some. I've gotten much more energy since being on it and was able to drop my effexor to 75mgs without losing energy/motivation. Will continue to drop it.

I'm currently leaning towards collagen and vegetarian glucosamine as i believe CFS has a connective tissue element to it. My pain threshold is ridiculously high and treatment, with B2 might help work towards light/hearing sensitivity due to the pathway being clearer.

Regards,
Gavin

ramakentesh

great news.

Of interest, chronic activation of pro-inflammatory cytokines like TNF alpha upregulate some sodium channels that innerve pain receptors in the CNS. Serotonin also has interesting effects on pain reception as does substance P which was found elevated at least in POTS.

Gavman

Hixxy, i'm much more conscious visually on b2 but it feels like its makes the sensitivity worse. So I don't know - that could just be the massive dose so im just taking it with b6 now.

orion

Hi Gavman, your thread caught my eye as there are very few treatments available that lead to an improvement, even for a subset of patients.

I notice you're taking SAM-e precusors instead of SAM-e itself. Is there a reason for that? Cost maybe?

Gavman

I have been seeing therapists and working things out psychologically, I still get muscle fatigue/strength issues and focusing issues. But my mood and energy continues to increase. - I take the SAM-e precursors because its expensive otherwise, if i start to backpedal i'll go back to the SAM-e because i know how effectively it worked. I do think people should try the SAM-e as it seems to be more noticeable.

I've been thinking about it lately and I'm working on getting the methylation stuff right that richvank and freddd talk about, but my b12 and folic acid were getting higher while creating more symptoms for me, so i'm working on the other cycles to improve my body's ability to utilise it.

orion

I have been seeing therapists and working things out psychologically, I still get muscle fatigue/strength issues and focusing issues. But my mood and energy continues to increase. - I take the SAM-e precursors because its expensive otherwise, if i start to backpedal i'll go back to the SAM-e because i know how effectively it worked. I do think people should try the SAM-e as it seems to be more noticeable.

I've been thinking about it lately and I'm working on getting the methylation stuff right that richvank and freddd talk about, but my b12 and folic acid were getting higher while creating more symptoms for me, so i'm working on the other cycles to improve my body's ability to utilise it.

Hi Gavman, I'm a little bit confused. Am I right in assuming that you have been taking the SAM-e precursors for two months, but prior to that you were taking actual SAM-e? If that's the case, then how long were you taking the SAM-e for, and how long did it take before you noticed a beneficial effect?

Also, your initial post seems to imply that you have been taking SAM-e precursors, vitamin B6, and zinc simultaneously for two months. Have you always taken them simultaneously? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how you've been able to link different beneficial effects to each of the three supplements.

FWIW, I also have very pale skin. I tried zinc for over six months, but unfortunately, it didn't improve my skin pallor, or energy levels. However, YMMV as they say.

Thanks for your help.

CAcfs

bumping because I saw similar success (energy, still have brain fog issue) from taking TMG. Also, like Gavman, was disappointed with B12 and folate, though they did help some. What Gavman is reporting is along the lines of what I have found. Though I am not taking the methionine, yet.

My TMG is 1000 mg, and I am starting to feel like it's over-taxing me, now that I'm coming down off of the effects today. I feel a little "too" post-hyped up now that night is falling. So maybe I'll try the 500 mg.

I suppose I'll try the b6. I would be interested in the exact brand or type. Thanks.