• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Translation please?

Hi, this is my first post so if I break some kind of rule or seem ridiculous, please forgive me.

I've been going through some stuff medically and like all of you I'm trying to understand more, the difference between you all and I is that I cheated my way through biology in High School and now I must go through the late summer of my life confused.

So here's the deal..... I just read the following sentence and I really don't get what "myocardial oxygen consumption" (see quote below) means ......so if anyone can give me a clue in first grader language I'd be terribly grateful. Thanks

"In this issue of Circulation,1 Zhang and coworkers provide convincing evidence that ACE inhibitors reduce myocardial oxygen consumption by preventing the degradation of bradykinin, which subsequently stimulates the release of nitric oxide (NO)."

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I found this on Yahoo answers. I don't know how correct it is, but it sounds good:confused:

What is myocardial oxygen consumption?:
It is the actual amount of oxygen that your heart muscle (myocardium) consumes (USES) per minute. It is expressed as: MVO2 and it's measured in milliliters of O2 (Oxygen) per minute per 100 grams. When your heart is at rest, the MVO2 is less...when you're exercising, the MVO2 goes way up.

It's often confused with oxygen demand...which is how much oxygen an organ NEEDS to function.

Now I have something to think about, thank you for googling for me, I was looking up individual words - never did it occur to me to look up the three together, I bow humbly in your direction and thank you. Just so you know, the reason I was looking at this is because I've been getting dreadfully sick on an ace inhibitor and it was feeling like I was just building up liquid in my body from it and I wondered if that had anything to do with the Cheney Oxygen idea. In simplistic terms I guess I thought I had less dry (for lack of a better word) in my body. And I somewhat spontaneously decided to google oxygen and ace inhibitors to see what came up. I have nutty dyslexia and often times I can read something and mix it up to a state of backwards in my brain and I really don't trust myself to read something and get it. Often times I find I need to hear someone else's thoughts on what I've read to help me make sure I haven't reversed the idea in my nutty cranium. At any rate, I'm still confused about this, but I will think on it because I am curious like that. Nice to meet you Mya Symons and thank you for responding.

Be well

Judi

thank you sickofsickness, can I just tell you that I say that almost daily? I've been reading the forums a lot lately. I'm trying to learn what the hell most of you all are talking about. Most of you sound like Doctors, what I wouldn't do just to meet one doctor like anyone here.....:)

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Now I have something to think about, thank you for googling for me, I was looking up individual words - never did it occur to me to look up the three together, I bow humbly in your direction and thank you. Just so you know, the reason I was looking at this is because I've been getting dreadfully sick on an ace inhibitor and it was feeling like I was just building up liquid in my body from it and I wondered if that had anything to do with the Cheney Oxygen idea. In simplistic terms I guess I thought I had less dry (for lack of a better word) in my body. And I somewhat spontaneously decided to google oxygen and ace inhibitors to see what came up. I have nutty dyslexia and often times I can read something and mix it up to a state of backwards in my brain and I really don't trust myself to read something and get it. Often times I find I need to hear someone else's thoughts on what I've read to help me make sure I haven't reversed the idea in my nutty cranium. At any rate, I'm still confused about this, but I will think on it because I am curious like that. Nice to meet you Mya Symons and thank you for responding.

Be well

Judi

Your welcome. Not a problem. I just copied the info from someone who knew what they were talking about (not me).:D Nice to meet you too.