• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Debbie Jolly (blogger/campaigner) on BPS and disability reforms.

alex3619

I would like to point out that what is called the biopsychosocial model is the model in name only. The original intent is very different from current implementation. Its a case of calling it one thing while doing something else entirely - in other words deliberately deceptive language. I am seeing a pattern. When such language is misused in this way I am seeing a potential for distorting agendas while making it palatable. In other words, if you want to do something bad first spin it as something good. The other thing they are doing is to spin something else as even worse (those faking fraudsters) and then offering a false dichotomy: you can't let them get away with it (we need to clamp down on disability fraud). Say one thing and do another, combined with bread and circuses (see those Christians get eaten by lions!). Its right out of Machiavelli's The Prince.

The biopsychosocial model as intended and sometimes discussed in academia has very little to do with the coercive and punitive agendas in its name. Its not a whole lot different from going to war on a pretext: anyone recall the weapons of mass destruction claim? Evidence Based Medicine is showing a similar but less obvious tendency.

Demonizing a section of the community is what Hitler did. It allowed him to eventually get away with mass murder and starting a world war. Its a very bad agenda to follow. One reason its particularly bad is it can get out of control: its very hard to un-demonize a community, it takes generations.

Something else occurs to me. Its a time honoured tactic that when there is potential for serious social unrest you go to war. Better a war than a civil war or social chaos. An alternative sometimes used to this is to pick a minority and demonize them - people's anger moves away from the government and toward the minority group.

Bye, Alex

Esther12

I was reading some of Whites book on biopsychosocial medicine, and there's a discussion where they're talking about how to promote it. They say that the government only gets interested when they're told it is a way to save money.

Aylward said: I have been given a lot of information that reinforces some of the messages that I have passed on to decision makers. We had some great difficulty last year persuading certain people that the way forward in the more effective assessment of disability and its management in people on State benefits lay more with a biopsychosocial approach. There seems to be an antipathy in some parts of Government towards anything without a hard evidence base. If the biopsychosocial approach is perceived in (such a) way, it is very difficult to get the Department of Health, amongst others in Government, to favour interventions and rehabilitation adopting the biopsychosocial approach. But in recent months Im beginning to see a change.

Wessely: What made some of the policy makers change their views?

Aylward: Systematic reviews of the literature garnering evidence to support the biopsychosocial concept. Recent meetings of focus groups of key opinion makers (now) support ---with authoritative and expert opinion --- the value of biopsychosocial approaches. There are going to be some developments soon. The key aspect has been effectively communicating this in a far more robust and authoritative way.

edit: I'm unable to get access to this second section in googlebooks. Is it a misquote? Sorry for the confusion, but I think it would be best to assume it's inaccurate for now.
edit2: It seems to no longer be available in google books, but one can access this bit (p220) on Amazon. It has been condensed somewhat, but not in a way that I think is misleading (although it was hard to cross check it all!)

Professor Gordon Waddell (Centre for Psychosocial and Disability Research, Cardiff) said: It may actually be easier to change patients and the public, and they will then force the professionals to change. Some decision makers were very jaundiced. It is all about money. The main thing was to persuade the Treasury that there was an opportunity for keeping costs down.

Professor Robert Lewin said: One of the things that Greville Mitchell is helping us do through One-Health is an analysis that will look at the lost opportunity costs from not using cognitive behavioural therapy approaches. We are doing this in collaboration with Jos Kleijnen.

Greville Mitchell said: If you go to Gordon Brown (UK Chancellor of the Exchequer) and say, We can prove to you that if we address this issue, we can save 2 billion, then you have his full attention.

Mansel Aylward said: That is the approach that has been taken.

I can't copy/paste from google books, so took the above from here: http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/PROOF_POSITIVE.htm

A google search for quotes from the above should turn up a link to google books.

I've been surprised by how little discussion there's been about the recent disability benefit reforms in the UK, and only blogs from disability campaigners mentioning the significance of the biopsychosocial approach to disability to them. I still naively expect massive social changes to receive some sort of analysis and investigation by our media.

re demonising benefit claimants. In some way, I prefer the open disdain for the disabled that comes from the way the Conservatives have promoted these reforms. It's more honest than the paternalistic pose Labour adopted to justify massive cuts to the help those with health problems receive. In many way, the biopsychosocial approach to CFS seems a very 'New Labour' project.

Last edited:

Sean

Thanks for this, Esther.

There seems to be an antipathy in some parts of Government towards anything without a hard evidence base.
I'm shocked, I tell you, truly shocked. Fancy any competent government demanding hard evidence before enacting policy proposals. The impudence!

alex3619

I'm shocked, I tell you, truly shocked. Fancy any competent government demanding hard evidence before enacting policy proposals. The impudence!

Hi Sean, yes, shocking, so what went so wrong that they are now enacting policy without a hard evidence base? Is it stupidity, error, bias, a con, fraud or a social agenda? Did I miss a cause? Bye, Alex

alex3619

that biopsychosocial book

I am writing a book debunking much behind the biopsychosocial model, CFS and ME. I can buy White's book and might need to in order to analyze it, but I seriously begrudge giving them any money. Is there anyone who has read it who can PM me and discuss whether I should pay out money to these people? I can get the book reasonably cheaply, its heavily discounted now. Bye, Alex

PS its called Biopsychosocial Medicine: An Integrated Approach to Understanding Illness but I dont think it deserves to be in bold facing or in my title.

alex3619

Hi Sean, sorry, my mistake, of course all of the above. I have a philosophy background, so my "or" tends to be an inclusive "or", not exclusive. That means any combination of the above is possible. Bye, Alex