• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you know if you have a fermenting gut?

paul80

Is there anyway to tell if you a fermenting gut?
The supplements i order depend on this and it will make things more difficult and expensive if i buy for a fermenting gut.

Also if you have a fermenting guy will you also have a leaky gut or are these completely separate?

nanonug

I would say that all of our guts are fermenting in the sense that whatever undigested food gets to the colon will be acted upon by the bacteria there. If you are specially looking for alcohol fermentation then I guess an ethanol blood test or a breath test would tell you.

paul80

But if your gut is fermenting what symptoms would do experience when you eat food containing sugars such as fruit?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The supplements i order depend on this and it will make things more difficult and expensive if i buy for a fermenting gut.

Also if you have a fermenting guy will you also have a leaky gut or are these completely separate?

I think one of the best ways to tell is to get it tested with a complete stool/digestive test that is anaerobic. I believe Metametrix has one. Until it is thoroughly tested you will just be guessing. Many of us also have infections in the gut that lead to gut dysfunction. http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/categorized

Best,
Sushi

nanonug

But if your gut is fermenting what symptoms would do experience when you eat food containing sugars such as fruit?

Abdominal pain and swelling, gas, constipation or diarrhea, for example. However, these symptoms are very non-specific.