• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme - glutathione gene

snowathlete

I put my 23andme data through Promethease, and one of the rare, but interesting things i have seen so far is this one: rs4376531 (C,G):
Glutathione S-Transferase T1 and M1: Gene Sequence Variation and Functional Genomics

Anyone know anything about what this means?

nanonug

I put my 23andme data through Promethease, and one of the rare, but interesting things i have seen so far is this one: rs4376531 (C,G):
Glutathione S-Transferase T1 and M1: Gene Sequence Variation and Functional Genomics
Anyone know anything about what this means?

Are you sure rs4376531 is associated with Glutathione S-Transferase? Omim says it is associated with the ARHGEF10 gene.

Anyway, Omim.org has this polymorphism associated with increased risk for ischemic stroke, at least in the case of Chinese Han:

http://omim.org/entry/601367?search=rs4376531&highlight=rs4376531

This is what Pubmed shows:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=rs4376531

snowathlete

That's what promethease says. No idea if it's accurate, but it also mentions the Chinese Han thing.

Ema

I downloaded the Promethease program but am having trouble figuring out how to import my 23andme data. Is there a file from 23andme that I need to download and save to my computer? Did you find some directions somewhere that were helpful and clear?

Sorry to hijack your thread...just hopeful you can help since you did it successfully! Thanks, Ema

snowathlete

Is there a file from 23andme that I need to download and save to my computer? Did you find some directions somewhere that were helpful and clear?

Sorry to hijack your thread...just hopeful you can help since you did it successfully! Thanks, Ema

Hi Ema,

No problem. In 23andme, at the top right click on Account, and then select Browse Raw Data.
Then on the right, toward the top click on Download Raw Data. It then asks for your password etc, but is pretty straight forward from there.
Once downloaded you need to extract it, because its a compressed file. Let me know if you need help with that.

Then, launch Promethease, and click browse (if i remember correctly) and go to the raw data file that you extracted. Thats pretty much it.

I used the free version of Promethease and it took about 3 hours, something like that.

Best
Joel

Ema

Thank you! It worked perfectly...now for the fun of actually reading it. Uggh! I have so many more bad things than good!