• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Attending/participating spring 2012 CFSAC or thinking of attending/participating?

Denise

Do people want to coordinate their travel and lodging?
(Example there is a patient in the Pacific Northwest who wants to attend, but cant travel alone, could travel with another patient though)

Who is planning/hoping to be at the CFSAC?
Where are you coming from?

Spread the word please

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
FYI

Dr Nancy Lee (Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health-Womens Health, Designated Federal Official, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee) responded on March 23 that CFSAC is working to get some clarification/answer to my questions.

I have yet to receive any response or acknowledgement to any of the four emails sent to Ms Pickett since December 18, last year.

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:02 AM
To: Christopher Snell
Cc: Lee, Nancy C. (HHS/OASH)

Subject: Re: ICD-10-CM September 2011 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting

Dear Dr Lee and Dr Snell,

This is to advise that I have received no responses from Ms Pickett to my emails of

March 5 (into which you were both copied)

January 24

January 8

December 18 2011

requesting clarification of the queries raised in my initial email to Ms Pickett, three months ago, dated December 18, 2011.

I should be grateful if consideration could be given to CFSAC committee expediting clarification on the status of a decision following the September 14 ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting.

With kind regards,

Suzy Chapman

----- Original Message -----

To: Pickett, Donna (CDC/OSELS/NCHS)
Cc: Lee, Nancy C. (HHS/OASH); Christopher Snell
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 6:13 PM

Subject: Re: ICD-10-CM September 2011 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting

Dear Ms Pickett,

I've made a number of requests since December 18, for clarifications as set out below, but have yet to receive a response.

It was understood, last year, that a decision was anticipated in December but no public announcement has been made to the best of my knowledge.

I should be most grateful if these enquiries could be attended to.

I have copied in Dr Christopher Snell, Chair, CFSAC Committee, and Dr Nancy Lee, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health Womens Health, Designated Federal Officer for CFSAC.

With kind regards,

Suzy Chapman

----- Original Message -----

To: Pickett, Donna (CDC/OSELS/NCHS)
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:54 AM

Dear Ms Pickett,

Thank you for taking the time to give a presentation at the November meeting of CFSAC.

I should be pleased if you could advise me by what date a decision is expected to have been made by the Coordination and Maintenance Committee following consideration of the proposals for the coding and chapter placement of CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome) for ICD-10-CM that were presented at the September 14 meeting?

I understand from the CDC website, that

"The ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committees role is advisory. All final decisions are made by the Director of NCHS and the Administrator of CMS. Final decisions are made at the end of the year and become effective October 1 of the following year."

Does this mean that any decision arrived at by the Coordination and Maintenance Committee is advisory only, and that a final decision would be made by the Director of NCHS and Administrator of CMS? If so, by what date would their decision be expected to have been made?

Finally, by what means will a decision be made public?

Sincerely,

Suzy Chapman