• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

carbohydrates? damed if i do damned if i don't

I have been having problems with my diet for the last six months, when i first got sick i had a doctor that told me to avoid carbs, so i did, two years later my tummy is sooo swollen all the time, it looks like i am pregnant, i visit Kenny De meirler and he mentions sulfur, and fructose, I am still waiting for my results....

So since i have no patience I immideatly try to eat according to fructose malabsorption, and my tummy does improve! a lot less swelling, less pain and generell tummy well being, but the problem is that i feel like crap!

all my symptoms increase, brain fog, fever, and a splitting headache and achey feeling all over,

Since all my vegetables that i used to eat are a no no on the fructose diet ( i eat according to FODMAP) i have introduced, oats, potatoes, beets, and gluten free bread,

the headaches are killing me and i then remember what Kenny De meirler said about my headaches, that they were caused by sulfur....

So i googled and found all foods that have sulfur and thiols ( that increase sulfur) and took them away for about two days... it was impossible.... everything is sulfur.....

now i have no clue what to eat! no carbs was working for me, but not for my tummy, and the headache i am feeling the last 5 days is making everything awful, i'll eat anything i don't care about cost or taste anymore.....

how do you eat? what works? do you feel better with or without carbs.

needless to say since i have been on a low carb diet i avoid all sugars, all fruits, all gluten and alcohol ( i got intolerant when i got sick) i still drink coffe when i really need it and i drink 4 cups of green tea a day, and 90% chocolate

merylg

I have been having problems with my diet for the last six months, when i first got sick i had a doctor that told me to avoid carbs, so i did, two years later my tummy is sooo swollen all the time, it looks like i am pregnant, i visit Kenny De meirler and he mentions sulfur, and fructose, I am still waiting for my results....

So since i have no patience I immideatly try to eat according to fructose malabsorption, and my tummy does improve! a lot less swelling, less pain and generell tummy well being, but the problem is that i feel like crap!

all my symptoms increase, brain fog, fever, and a splitting headache and achey feeling all over,

Since all my vegetables that i used to eat are a no no on the fructose diet ( i eat according to FODMAP) i have introduced, oats, potatoes, beets, and gluten free bread,

the headaches are killing me and i then remember what Kenny De meirler said about my headaches, that they were caused by sulfur....

So i googled and found all foods that have sulfur and thiols ( that increase sulfur) and took them away for about two days... it was impossible.... everything is sulfur.....

now i have no clue what to eat! no carbs was working for me, but not for my tummy, and the headache i am feeling the last 5 days is making everything awful, i'll eat anything i don't care about cost or taste anymore.....

needless to say since i have been on a low carb diet i avoid all sugars, all fruits, all gluten and alcohol ( i got intolerant when i got sick) i still drink coffe when i really need it and i drink 4 cups of green tea a day, and 90% chocolate

Chocolate contains Theobromine & I find anything with Bromine gives me headaches. Sometimes Bromine is also used in swimming pools. Brominated hydrocarbons are used as flame retardants in computers & off-gas during use as the computer heats up. Chocolate gives me oesophagitis, gastritis & migraine headaches.

Chocolate, Tea (including Green Tea) & Coffee contain caffeine which blocks the absorption of Vit B2 (Riboflavin). The caffeine also makes you urinate more so that you lose B2. The dehydration can contribute to headaches too.

Chocolate is high in Iron, Zinc, Copper & Manganese which can bring down your stores of B2 quickly. B2 is needed to support many processes in the body one of which is ENERGY production by MITOCHONDRIA.

One preventative treatment for migraine headaches involves taking B2 (Riboflavin). This has worked for me, prescribed by my Neuro. It works on supporting the mitochondria of the brain in the cells of the walls of blood vessels.

Check out symptoms of B2 deficiency here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin

There is also a discussion on B2 at: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?16781-Hair-Mineral-Testing

dam! i loooove my chocolate..... its really fine quality, does that help anything? ( or make it worse since it has a lot of pure cocoa?)

i have found that coffe and tea (black tea) makes me "burn too bright" and gives me strange headaches after about 40 min, but that green tea makes my brain fog better, but i do know that it contains caffine... maybe its time to call it quits for a while...

i have read about B2 with great interest, i have taken high B complex for about a year ( quit a year ago) i am now on a methylation protocoll (forgett what it is called but it is the one with drops of methyl B, B12, folinic acid, phospathidyl complex and neurological health formula) i have been on this protocoll for about 8 months.

so i guess i have to try the no chocolate no tea diet as well... you make a good point.....

dmholmes

Without a doubt, the most significant changes in my health have come from what I eat. I eat a refined Paleo diet called Perfect Health Diet. I eat 100 to 125 grams of carbohydrate a day from "safe starches" (white rice, sweet or white potato), but not eating foods high in anti-nutrients/toxins has made the most difference.

dmholmes

Chocolate contains Theobromine & I find anything with Bromine gives me headaches. Sometimes Bromine is also used in swimming pools. Brominated hydrocarbons are used as flame retardants in computers & off-gas during use as the computer heats up. Chocolate gives me oesophagitis, gastritis & migraine headaches.

Ironically theobromine does not contain the toxic halide bromine. Bromine exposure is rampant, and can be addressed with iodine supplementation.