• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

looking for doctor who would or can order muscle biopsy around pennsyvania usa

Gamboa

A muscle biopsy may be done to identify or detect:
I think you are probably having it done to identify metabolic defects, perhaps an energy deficiency caused by a problem in the mitochondria (these are the energy factories of the cell).

I am looking to see if I can have one done since I have some obvious problems with my mitochondria. As far as I know, it is done by a needle biopsy and looked at by electron microscopy.

Gamboa

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If you would like to get a biopsy to check for mitochonrial problems, my understanding is that they will show genetic or inherited problems but not the type that ME patients have -- which are usually acquired. For that you would do better with something like the Acumen Labs testing in the UK.

Best,
Sushi