• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How not to take magnesium citrate

Calathea

I normally take magnesium citrate powder as part of a home-made electrolyte drink. If you do this, i.e. dilute it in liquid, it's absolutely fine. The other day I hadn't had my drink, but I was a bit constipated, so near bedtime I just grabbed the magnesium citrate and took half a teaspoonful of it. Neat. Straight off the spoon. Do not try this at home, folks. It burnt like hell for a few seconds, and my oesophagus has been hurting ever since. The pain while resting has been mild to non-existent, but swallowing and drinking have been mildly uncomfortable, and eating has been miserable.

After two days of this it dawned on me that it was worth talking to a doctor, especially since I'm having my gallbladder out on Saturday and they'll be sticking tubes down my throat. The doctor diagnosed an inflamed/irritated oesophagus. He gave me Peptac to take four times a day, which he said should clear it up in a few days, and indeed it's starting to work. Peptac is a pink liquid, ominously gloopy, which tastes like a combination of bicarbonate of soda, aniseed and soap. You definitely don't want to go there.

Waverunner

Can you recommend another good form of magnesium? Magnesium Oxide causes problems for me and I thought about buying magnesium oil? Does anyone have experience with liquid magnesium?

Misfit Toy

Calathea, I hope the surgery goes ok. Thinking of you. You are in recovery mode right now.

Magnesium can make my stomach a mess and cause me to wake up in pain, so I do the magnesium oil. Ancient Minerals. I love that stuff. I also do a liquid magnesium that is like a milk with calcium and it tastes like Blueberries. It doesn't bother me and I can tolerate it.

I have found magnesium to be very hard on my stomach. Very hard. But, the oil works wonders and bypasses my stomach.

Calathea

Your reaction to some forms of magnesium sounds like me with NSAIDs (ibuprofen and the like). Any idea why you could tolerate the liquid but not the other oral forms of magnesium?

Thank you for the good wishes about the surgery. The hospital are finally getting their arses into gear and hopefully will behave properly about all the ME stuff. They're even going to try to get me a private room.

Calathea

I'm sure I had some of that years ago. Never mind, the Peptac seems to be doing the job, and hopefully I can stop taking it in a day or so. Out of curiosity, how would the slippery elm have helped?

It burnt like hell for a few seconds, and my oesophagus has been hurting ever since. The pain while resting has been mild to non-existent, but swallowing and drinking have been mildly uncomfortable, and eating has been miserable.

I had a similar problem but with aspirin. Initially I managed the pain with Gaviscon then my naturopath suggested a juice of raw potatoes and cabbage and that really healed the burns but it took a good two months.

Calathea

Two months? Yikes. I've been on the Peptac (same thing as Gaviscon, I gather) for two days and my throat is nearly healed. I hear that raw potato juice is amazingly good for you but tastes disgusting. And you burnt your throat, rather than your stomach?

Sparrow

Yeah...Magnesium on it's own BURNS. That would suck!

I have a spray magnesium, and let me tell you I can sure tell if there's a scratch on my skin somewhere. :) Thankfully I was prepared because I read it in conjunction with something on magnesium injections (they burn too, though not so much if mixed with taurine, apparently). That would not be a pleasant surprise!

I am using magnesium citrate powder, and I filled two capsules, but they had a little powder on the outside. Started burning my throat but water was enough for that small amount. It will be a good incentive to drink more water with my first batch of pills.

L'engle

moogle
Thanks everyone, you've helped me solve a mystery. My stomach's been hurting at night lately and I was blaming it on one food or another but it is actually te magnesium supplement that I started taking more of. More magnesium is better for me so I will have to fall back more on the oil and epsom salts. Someone here mentioned magnesium cream too, which seems like a great idea to me.

Calathea

L'engle - I've never found it to hurt my stomach, I must say, and it doesn't hurt anything at all if I take it diluted. Presumably, though, if it can burn my throat when taken undiluted, there is potential for other problems, and it should be easy enough to stop it temporarily to see what happens. Which form of magnesium were you taking?

I normally take magnesium citrate powder as part of a home-made electrolyte drink. If you do this, i.e. dilute it in liquid, it's absolutely fine. The other day I hadn't had my drink, but I was a bit constipated, so near bedtime I just grabbed the magnesium citrate and took half a teaspoonful of it. Neat. Straight off the spoon. Do not try this at home, folks. It burnt like hell for a few seconds, and my oesophagus has been hurting ever since. The pain while resting has been mild to non-existent, but swallowing and drinking have been mildly uncomfortable, and eating has been miserable.

After two days of this it dawned on me that it was worth talking to a doctor, especially since I'm having my gallbladder out on Saturday and they'll be sticking tubes down my throat. The doctor diagnosed an inflamed/irritated oesophagus. He gave me Peptac to take four times a day, which he said should clear it up in a few days, and indeed it's starting to work. Peptac is a pink liquid, ominously gloopy, which tastes like a combination of bicarbonate of soda, aniseed and soap. You definitely don't want to go there.
Hi I did the same thing, did you fully recover?