• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Ian Lipkin threatened with legal action over his XMRV / MLV study

VillageLife

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/03/ian-lipkin-a-scientist-on-the-road-to-damascus.html

When the situation with Dr. Judy Mikovits and the Whittemore-Peterson Institute fell apart, Dr. Lipkin had the power to determine whether the research would continue. I am told by sources that Dr. Lipkin was actuallythreatened with legal action byvarious entities and he told them to take a hike. Instead of succumbing to this pressure, he put Drs. Mikovits,Frank Ruscetti of the National Cancer Institute and discoverer of the first human retrovirus, as well as Jose Montoya of Stanford University, and others in charge of determining the possible link between XMRV (or a related human retrovirus) and these diseases.

SOC

I am told by sources that Dr. Lipkin was actually threatened with legal action by various entities and he told them to take a hike.

This information would be more useful if you told us who is doing the threatening, and what specific legal action they are threatening. References would be nice, too, if you have them.

barbc56

This information would be more useful if you told us who is doing the threatening, and what specific legal action they are threatening. References would be nice, too, if you have them.

I agree. Unfortunately, IMHO, AgeofAutism is not the best place to get reliable scientific information.

At best in this point of time this is idle specultation.

But I would be very interested in finding out more about this from other sources.

Barb C.:>)

ETA Does anyone have the original article internet address? I think there may be a thread on PR, so will look for that. In the meantime if anyone has that address, would you mind posting it? Thanks!!!!!

Ecoclimber

There was a petition from radical individuals that are now associated with the people with me forum to have Lipkin removed from the current NIH study.

This petition was directed at the NIH and stated in part:
"I am writing this letter to demand a halt to the multi lab study headed by Ian Lipkin as I believe it is unscientific and will hinder the natural course of scientific enquiry....."

Eco

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
There was a petition from radical individuals that are now associated with the people with me forum to have Lipkin removed from the current NIH study.

This petition was directed at the NIH and stated in part:
"I am writing this letter to demand a halt to the multi lab study headed by Ian Lipkin as I believe it is unscientific and will hinder the natural course of scientific enquiry....."

Eco

I doubt that it had much import. As already stated, it is difficult to see how a handful of patients could have any impact whatsoever on research or researchers. (I had no part in the petition - in my view it was frivolous and ineffective.)

Does this have anything to do with the inferred legal action in Age of Autism? To link the petition to the legal action, or to imply that patient discussion of Lipkin is hurting research is laughable and undermines the credibility of those making such claims.

Of course, such statements probably reveal more about those making the claims.

Also, I note, in the above quote, the petition was an attempt to have the study halted, not specifically to have Lipkin removed.

taniaaust1

Without the names of the ones doing the threatening and the source of this info.. it is only a rumour.

The petition to get Lipkin removed thou is true... and something I never agreed with..

jace

Off the fence
I don't remember that on People with ME, but it comes up on mecfsforums.. Not something I would put my name to, either.