• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intestinal Parasites and B12

I watched a video, i think with Dr Klinghardt and he suggests that parasites will cause you to change your behaviour in order to feed them and look after them. When i have these stomach episodes i cant face any healthy food and crave carbs and sugar and stodgy food - everything else tht i normall eat such as salads makes me feel nauseous.
I wonder if testing for parasites is a good way to go next. Any ideas?

Oh, that's what I was saying. I just get the feeling like any foods I react badly to are the ones I should continue eating. (Foods that I know are healthy ones.) Then I am feeding myself and not helping parasites. When typically the idea is you avoid the foods you react badly to. I am uncertain because I don't want some of my mineral and vitamin levels to be out of balance.

i posted this about it recently , had no takers--but its about autoimmune and parasites being good sometimes, some bugs are good after all, how do we know that its not part of natural order, i know if i was going to take this on the hardcore way, it would be long and hard and pain and maybe be worse possible, hard to commit without knowing more

but it sure makes me wonder wish we were more advanced, this stuff makes me think our medical system is so primitive, living in dark ages

Creeps me out too, just the thought of seeing them.

I agree that some of them could be good, and we are so primitive in our knowledge. So we are trying to eradicate all of them since we don't know how else to cope with them.

My B12 was high too, but only a little.

My guess is if we ever had a period of dehydration, we are more prone to having parasites. I also guess that spicy food, garlic, alcohol, and other herbs are supposed to keep the bad ones away. If we ever had a time lacking in those herbs, parasites would take hold. Also if we eat junk without enough good. Most of my life I ate a lot of sugar and carbs and food lacking in good fats, protein, vitamins, minerals. I did often get fiber (from vegetables/fruit) but not that much vitamins from those.

I eat healthy now but need to "clean the slate" and it's hard tolerating herbs and meds.

slayadragon

Lisa, have you ever heard of Dr. Omar Amin in Arizona? Parasites are his specialty. Has anyone here ever been treated by him? Over the last 5 years, all my tests came back normal, no parasites from other labs. His lab detected crypto. The other doctor that I was using at the time, uses him strictly for parasite tests because he is so good a detection. I never saw or spoke with Dr. Amin directly, but was getting treatment from the other doctor who wasn't using Dr. Amin's protocol.

Shellbell

Here is Dr. Amin's center in Scottsdale. I've heard good things about them from other people too.

http://www.parasitetesting.com/

They are Ph.D.'s rather than M.D.'s, but seem to consult with patients with doctors' approval. It would be interesting to visit them, if they were willing to see me.

xrayspex

that is an interesting link Lisa, it has made me rethink things because the picture there of "mucoid tubes" looks a lot like roundworms or certain flukes so its possible thats whats going on here, such a gross topic, bizarre to be talking about here

it was interesting too the link at that site to the vid on morgellons----how frustrating that the woman had terrible lesions rash all over face and docs were saying she was "delusional"....I suppose they think that was like some freudian reaction conversion thing she did to herself psychologically---if they don't know what to do or don't want to deal they just blame the victim, such a weird phenomenon

maddietod

Lisa, it looks like Dr. Amin offers parasite testing, and also sells a cleanse protocol. Since anybody can buy this product, it can't have a prescription medication in it.

But if I read your posts correctly, you did years of cleanses, and in the end needed a drug to rout the buggers.

So.......what's your opinion of his cleanse protocol?

Madie

aprilk1869

I had a look at that parasite testing website and downloaded the pdf re: pathogenic bacteria. I noticed that a few people were listed as having anal itching and these people had e coli and klebsiella, one person also had citrobacter freundii.

For the last couple of years I've had some anal itching and it's now completely gone since I started eating home made sauerkraut with each meal. Sauerkraut contains various probiotics but mainly l. plantarum.

L. plantarum prevents Enteroinvasive Escherichia coli-induced tight junction proteins changes in intestinal epithelial cells
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2180/9/63

Assessment of the antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria isolated from two fermented maize products - ogi and kunnu-zaki
The largest zone of inhibition was 11 mm produced by L. plantarum against Klebsiella pnuemoniae while the least zone of inhibition was 3 mm produced by L. acidophilus against E. coli.
web.usm.my/mjm/issues/vol7no3/Research%201.pdf

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks for the link to parasite testing.com. I am thinking about getting a gut function/parasite test and am wondering if anyone has had the Geneva Diagnostics Comprehensive digestive stool analysis with parasitology, or wether to look at the testing at the above link (the geneva one gets sent to the USA anyway, so not much difference there, although Dr Myhill will order the genova one and interpret for me) Not sure which way to go (once ive saved up the couple hundred pounds i will need for it)

I know this is a very delicate subject, but just wondering how do you know whats in your stools? do you have to use a vessel other than a toilet bowl and then look? eeww, sorry i have to ask, but i dont want to think about it too much!
Justy.

maddietod

Justy, I did the Metametrix stool analysis that's roughly equivalent to Genova's, and came up "clean" for parasites. After reading this thread, I'm wondering it that means anything.

Personally I would rather start attacking the problem instead of getting a test run. The only reason I see to run a test is, if you need it so a doc will prescribe the stronger meds. I would like test results but I am getting tired of inaccurate or misleading or incomplete results that are expensive.

maddietod

Personally I would rather start attacking the problem instead of getting a test run. The only reason I see to run a test is, if you need it so a doc will prescribe the stronger meds. I would like test results but I am getting tired of inaccurate or misleading or incomplete results that are expensive.

Good point. I doubt my naturopath could prescribe this kind of medication, though, so I'm wondering how useful it would be to attack a problem that might not exist, using herbs that might not work anyway? That's where my imagination is stuck.

Yeah I'm confused too. I don't want to waste money on the less powerful cleansing, but I don't want to jump right into the strong ones that will be a waste too. I wouldn't be able to tolerate them. I guess that I will just start somewhere, with something that helps more people without big side effects. I am against most of the systems and branded products. I would rather buy pure herbs. I tried a system once, it was hard to do as they wanted. I am not able to fast. I would get too weak and mentally "out of it".

Yeah I'm confused too. I don't want to waste money on the less powerful cleansing, but I don't want to jump right into the strong ones that will be a waste too. I wouldn't be able to tolerate them. I guess that I will just start somewhere, with something that helps more people without big side effects. I am against most of the systems and branded products. I would rather buy pure herbs. I tried a system once, it was hard to do as they wanted. I am not able to fast. I would get too weak and mentally "out of it".

I have had at least a half dozen parasite tests, all of which were inconclusive and expensive. My advice is to skip the tests. You will be disappointed. Like every chronic issue that I have, I attacked my gut on my own. The best results I have gotten have been from olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, and clove/walnut wormwood. I used to feel bloated, inflamed, pain, intestinal tremors, heaviness, and probably a few more. Most of these symptoms are gone or greatly reduced. I still rotate these herbs when I feel that my little friends are repopulating. I haven't solved the problem 100%, but it is much much better.

xrayspex

Therron I am with you, I had a cdsa a couple years ago that I paid for out of pocket and it did show dybiosis but no parasites and then I had my regular doc run a test for me and he found nothing in mainstream system even though I have been seeing these same looking things coming out for a few years (that I am just hoping are those muc tubes that are shown at lisa's website pix, but doubtful).

I like your suggestion of olive leaf extract, I heard that is good for a lot of things with CFS, do you get any detox with that? I hate detox.

If any of you aren't sure I would suggest getting some black walnut/wormwood tincture and taking some drops of that and see what happens the next couple days---DR Cheney said to pulse it, he recs pulsing a lot of things due to our sensitivities and that has always worked better for me with herbs etc but the first day I take the drops feel nothing usually, the next day feel flared up for a day or 2 and then maybe a day or 2 later, sometimes longer, it seems that something comes out....it can bind you up to for awhile, I dont know why, in theory if there are parasites and they die I think it clogs the system.

But that approach hasn't been enough for me as I continue to see these suspicious things in stools, altho before that never saw them so either they werent there or werent coming out, the timing of trying the wormwood initially happened to coincide with my exposure to living with a really sick dog with anal tumor/wound there who laid out in the mud in the yard and had run wild before I got her from a rescue. Oh but anyway, I never have taken very much wormwood or hepasunate ( a recommended form of artesenuate) and its possible some people who take enough that it might eradicate things in some cases. I am just afraid of an all out war on whatever because I am not certain of diagnosis nor best protocol and I also don't feel I know if its completely bad or good thing, there is research going on about all sorts of bugs big and small that live in us and how sometimes finding a way to have balance instead of linear star war attack is preferrable....when and how you do that I am not sure.

Hey I would also caution how you approach yr mainstream doc, I feel that mine has never trusted my reports as well after I brought up issue of parasites, they are taught that there is this thing "parasititis" or something like that where people are delusional and obsessed and imagining things. I guess coke addicts think bugs are crawling on them and they lump us all together. Its a serious impediment to discussion on it.

Thanks xrayspex and therron, much great advice there.

That is too bad about docs thinking we are crazy if we say parasites. Due to THEIR lack of knowledge about parasites and how common they are. Yes too bad the naturopaths know about parasites but can't prescribe those drugs. So we need to seek out the few docs who treat parasites IMO.

I didn't read every post here but I do think parasites are significant. It's taken me about 2 years but I think I've gotten rid of them to a large degree. I am not well but I am glad I got rid of them.

This is what I did. I can't say everyone should do this but this is how I dealt with them...

First - I had no clue I even had any parasites. They are good at hiding & can come in many forms. From what I have read - the tests are useless. Unless you look at your bowel movement 20 minutes after it occurs - the parasites will dissolve. This is what Dr. Klinghardt says.

I started off with doing a liver flush. I had no clue about the parasites - so, I didn't do it in the recommended order which says to do a parasite cleanse first (re: Hulda Clark). I got very ill! I could barely walk for about 10 days. Finally, after my second or third flush - I saw things that looked like parasites. It really freaked me out. I though I had some kind of gall stone stuck in a duct or something. The pain was really bad but it might have been some parasite debris. I don't suggest to anyone to do this but this is how I found out about parasites...

So, after that I started on the herbal treatments for parasites which is usually some formula of green, black walnut hulls, artemesia, & cloves (which are supposed to kill eggs). I became quite ill after about 2 weeks of using the herbal formulas. I had alot of horrible bowel movements & discharges alot of scary, gross stuff. I sent photos to my doctor at the time & he told me to contact the CDC. So, I knew I was alone in dealing with this.

Since then, Dr. Klinghardt along with a Dr. Yu in AZ has come up with a drug protocol. I think it's a really good idea to do this. The drugs aren't as scary as they sound & you can actually do this on your own with mostly drugs from veterinarian if you don't have a doctor. It's not easy & I don't say everyone should do it but in my case I did. It's not easy & not fun & it can take a couple of years to really get rid of the parasites.

I have read about a symbiotic relationship of some people with Chron's disease (I think it was) but I would not want to do that... Everyone is different, though. I think it's best to get rid of the bugs.

I'm not sure if it's OK to post protocols here but I will come back later & post more info. Curezone is a really good place to look for info about how to deal with parasites. There are many shapes & sizes of parasite. Some can be in the blood, liver, intestines, or lungs. A study was done regarding CFS & hidden lungworm & it found a large percentage of people with CFS were positive. Why this have been put on the back burner - I don't know...???

I will post more later. This is a huge topic! I think it's a good idea to look into this further for almost any illness. Filarial worms are also in ticks & can be present with Lyme Disease. So, I think it's alot bigger topic than most doctors are trained to deal with. I'll try to post more here soon about it since it seems like there is interest here.

FYI - http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1566532#i

-----

For Parasite Warriors ~~ (Updated 11-16-10)

Albendazole (Albenza) is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic drug prescribed for intestinal & systemic Roundworm (Nematode) infections.

Also used to kill systemic eggs, larva, & cysts (but not the adults) of other types of parasites throughout the body.

Intestinal & Systemic Roundworms (Nematodes):
Ascaris lumbricoides (Common Roundworm)
Baylisascaris procyonis (Raccoon Roundworm)
Enterobius vermicularis (Pinworm)
Filariasis (9 species)*
Ancylostomiasis (6 species) (Hookworm)
Necator americanus (Hookworm)
Strongyloide stercoralis (Strongyloides)*
Toxocara canis/cati (Dog/Cat Roundworm)
Trichinella spiralis (Porkworm)
Trichostrongyliasis (15 species)
Trichuris trichiura (Whipworm)

*For Strongyloides & Filariasis, see Albendazole & Ivermectin Drug Protocol: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1586882#i.

For Tapeworms (Cestodes), see Niclosamide, Praziquantel, & Albendazole Drug Protocol: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1602094#i.

For Flukes (Trematodes), see Praziquantel & Albendazole Drug Protocol: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1667673#i

Dr. Klinghardt/Dr. Yu protocol for parasites (thanks to GiGi from Lymenet)-

(Please let me know if protocols are not allowed on this forum... I'm new here.)

Anti-Parasite Treatment

Biltricide 600mg 2 three times per day for two days (to get the liver flukes)

Ivermectin 12mg -1 tablet four times per day for 14 days take at same time as Pyrantel Pamoate

Pyrantel Pamoate 1000mg per day at bedtime for 14 days - take at same time as Ivermectin

Albenza 200mg (after completing 14 days on Ivermectin and Pyrantel) 2 tablets twice per day for 14 days

Alinia 500mg (after completing Albenza) 2 twice per day for 14 days

Order of treatment: Biltricide Ivermectin /Pyrantel Albenza Alinia

SSKI Potassium Iodide start with 1 drop, go 2 drops, etc.- I think he goes up to 4 6 drops. Best if energetic testing. Nebulized with Sodium Chloride 3ml

You can probably find the Iodide application in one of the many protocols I have been posting of many months.

Or somehow get it up the nose

Good luck to you.

FYI -

Suspected New Species of Chronic Roundworm Parasite, Cryptostrongylus pulmoni, Associated with CFS in Blinded Trials
Lawrence A. Klapow PhD, Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 1999 5(3/4): 247-248

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/klapow.html

-----

Accidental Cure: Extraordinary Medicine for Extraordinary Patients
Simon Yu, M.D.

http://www.preventionandhealing.com/pah-book.htm

excerpt -

Milestone #2: U.S. Army Reserve Mission, 2001

Dr. Cook's CEDS conferences placed Dr. Yu in a small group of American physicians who understand the connection between oral pathology and illness. A few years later, his career as an Army Reservist took him on a mission to Bolivia where he made a discovery that placed him in an even smaller group of physicians who understand the connection between parasites and disease.

As described in Chapter 6, most American medical doctors hardly have any experience with parasites or experience using parasite medications. Bolivia provided a rapid education over a 2-week period in several small towns where the U.S. government dispensed antiparasite medications to approximately 10,000 Andes Indians. As Dr. Yu states in Chapter 6:

The key part of my story occurred within days after the first group of Indians was treated with antiparasite medications. Several patients returned to relay stories of seeing parasites passing in their stools and a few had parasites erupt from their skin. Their stories, the samples they brought in jars, and their descriptions of how much better they were feeling left me with what later turned out to be an important question: How much chronic illness is due to parasite infection?

After returning to St. Louis, Dr. Yu learned to search for parasites with an EAV device. He also used parasite medications in various combinations and observed dramatic responses in patients whose illnesses were considered incurable. Some of the difficult conditions that responded with parasite medications include: intractable allergies and asthma, migraine headache, sciatica, constipation and diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, bronchiectasis, vision loss, anxiety, depression, nightmares, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, arthralgia and myalgia, pelvic pain, eczema, psoriasis, hypertension, and cancers.

slayadragon

Lisa, it looks like Dr. Amin offers parasite testing, and also sells a cleanse protocol. Since anybody can buy this product, it can't have a prescription medication in it.

But if I read your posts correctly, you did years of cleanses, and in the end needed a drug to rout the buggers.

So.......what's your opinion of his cleanse protocol?

Madie

I always had a feeling I had a parasite issue, but I thought it was just normal worms. I used herbal cleanses on a number of occasions over the years and thought that it was helpful in resolving the problem. Now I think that I just pushed back this parasite a bit, but didn't kill it. Thus, it always came back.

Of course, I might have had additional parasites too.

So I do think that, in combination with cleansing, the anti-parasite herbs can be somewhat helpful in killing some parasites and pushing back others. I might order this formula from this Scottsdale place myself now, actually.

Best, Lisa