• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Alters Epigenetics

charityfundraiser

Interesting since we were just discussing the effect of high-intensity exercise on insulin sensitivity (in healthy people). Also interesting since epigenetics may have gotten us into CFS.

Exercise Alters Epigenetics
Exercise causes short-term changes in DNA methylation and gene expression in muscle tissue that may have implications for type 2 diabetes.
http://the-scientist.com/2012/03/06/exercise-alters-epigenetics/

"Exercise can delay the onset of diabetes by boosting the expression of genes involved in muscle oxidation and glucose regulation. A new study, published today (March 6) in Cell Metabolism, suggests that DNA methylation drives some of these changes, and that they can occur within just a few hours of exercise, providing a potential mechanism for how exercise protects the body from metabolic disease."

ramakentesh

Great post thanks. i once talked to a guy that worked in medical research in epigenetics. An interesting area and it has been implicated in many 'acquired' illnesses including POTS.

He was saying how they demonstrated that high exposure to glucose in the first four years of life effected epigenetic hypermethylation and promoter downregulation of certain genes later in life. So not only could there be triggers during the time of the onset of an acquired epigenetic illness but perhaps several decades before.

Thanks for posting charityfundraiser. Fascinating that epigentics, which were once thought fixed, have now been shown to be dynamic as suggested in this article. That leaves room for intervention! And ramakentesh, I think that prior high levels of intensive exercise decades earlier are possibly associated with later abnormalities in certain systems. Take a look at the HSP thread. All seems a bit harsh if you ask me.

redo

That's some fascinating research charityfundraiser. For those new to the whole epigenetics/endogenous retrovirus realm, I'd recommend this:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19697163/
It's about the MS retrovirus (which is something we're born with, latently, and may activate when the conditions are "right" -- retroviruses we're born with are called "endogenous" retroviruses). It's epigenetic control which silences these retroviruses. DNA methylation is key to switching on and off epigenetic changes, thereby also silencing active endogenous retroviruses (IMO this is really interesting in the light of Richvank's work, showing many PWME benefits from going an a methylation protocol).

I made a thread about this, called something like "RNA viruses and methylation", with many relevant abstracts in it. The exercising/ epigentic changes mechanism also fit very well into the GIRA theory (I know, I should have put in more of the train of thought and sources, I'll get back to that later).

The MS retrovirus is actually an endogenous gammaretrovirus, and incidently the virus Lipkin et al is on the hunt for now are gammaretroviruses, and they are very open to the possibility that it may be endogenous.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I just want to know how to alter them back! this is such a fascinating and useful field for us, but as exercise of any sort is out of the window for us, im not sure what we need to do.

I understand that we can affect if methyls are added or subtracted from genes...but what does it mean to 'alter the genome'? You can't permanently add or subtract methyls can you? Does it mean we can somehow fix our genetic defects?

Too bad this doesnt help me -- I have low blood sugar issues. I think exercise lowers it more. Although I can't recall that exercise actually did that to me...but certain supplements can do it to me big time, and hypothyroid does it to me too. And allergy attacks. And sometimes the cause is unknown...

Rydra

topaz

I was just about to post something about epigenetics.
Here is a nice video I saw recently on the subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YXm5j8qZaA

Thanks for the youtube link.

Six degrees of separation alive and well on the internet. Several weeks ago on an Amy Yasko video, she mentioned the mice study in terms of epigenetics and just today I chanced upon this info about receipts and BPA (BPA and ink mentioned at around 46:22min on the youtube vid you posted) http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/toxic-money-how-to-protect-yourself/

Interesting.

I enjoyed the vid you posted as it connected a lot of issues Id come across seperately.

Thanks