• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anything that can help with excessive thirst and urination and rapid dehydration???

Seadragon

Hi,

Kurt was kind enough to send me a protocol to adress this but I'm currently not well enough to do it - too little energy to make mixture etc...

I suffer from extreme and constant thirst, excessive urination (at least every half an hour) and dehydrate very rapidly.

I'm starting Freddd's protocol but wondering if there are additional supplements or anything else that could help address this problem?

Thanks,

Esperanza x

xrunner

I assume your doctor had your blood sugar checked since you became symptomatic or you checked it yourself with a blood sugar monitor...

Seadragon

No diabetes (of either type) and electrolytes (and everything else) all normal on bloodwork and urine sample. Nothing shows up ever and doctor shrugs her shoulders.

Don't know how to address this.

Esperanza x

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
No diabetes (of either type) and electrolytes (and everything else) all normal on bloodwork and urine sample. Nothing shows up ever and doctor shrugs her shoulders.

Don't know how to address this.

Esperanza x

Hi Esperanza,

How do you know you don't have diabetes insipidus? it has nothing to do with what we usually think of as diabetes, and a good percentage of ME patients have it. The symptoms are just what you describe. Somewhere here, Rich has described the mechanism that causes it.

If your 24 urine volume is over something like (this is from memory, sorry) 2.5 liters, you probably have it. At one point I was producing more than 3 liters, but it has resolved now.

Sushi

mellster

Marco
Interesting, I think LDN helped with my digestion!

GG

For me it helped with the gut, too - initially prescribed for pain I found that it does an even better job long-term in balancing/regulating functions of the nervous system/metabolism that got out of whack, which includes all of that.

Seadragon

I'm sure I was tested for Diabetes Insipidus (24 hour urine???) but it was quite a few years ago. I'm going to ask my doctor to run the test again. Is it just the 24 hour urine that one needs for diagnosis? And what is the treatment?

It does sound like I may have this but there are times it is a bit better (and also worse at certain times of day) so I thought they were just some random symptoms connected to the ME/FMS etc.

Love Esperanza x

mellster

Marco
I don't think there is a test for diabetes insipidus as it is a systemic condition, don't think there are any markers. But peeing a lot (esp. relative to your intake) over 24 hours while testing negative for diabetes mellitus is a decent indicator.

Sure sounds like diabetes. It possibly could be salt. This was adressed somewhere else - wish I could remember where. Anyway, if you have low blood pressure you probably need salt (and probably have adrenal issues).

Seadragon

Well I'll get my doctor to redo the 24 hour urine test - I'll need a barrel...LOL!

What is the usual treatment for Diabetes Insipidus?

Love Esperanza x

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Well I'll get my doctor to redo the 24 hour urine test - I'll need a barrel...LOL!

What is the usual treatment for Diabetes Insipidus?

Love Esperanza x

From a lot of our experience, you don't need to treat Diabetes Insipidus directly. Treatments that help ME usually help Diabetes Insipidus. That has been my experience. i used to need a barrel too!

Best,
Sushi

what helped me....unsweetened, all natural coconut water

Hi,

This is my fist post - I hope it helps a bit.

I had the very same thing for many, many months. I was so thirsty that I drank so much water to the point of feeling waterlogged, nauseated, etc, yet it never helped. I urinated excessively and I constantly felt dehydrated. I too did the 24 hour urine test - it was a cortisol related test if I recall properly - and if it had been 25 hours I think I would have need another bottle - were talking the size of a gas can :eek: I tried making my own concoctions too after researching dehydration, but it did not really work. I had an opportunity to talk with an exceptional nutritionist and he recommended coconut water. He said that it is high in potassium and does not have all of the crap that sports drinks have in them. I buy the kinds without added sugar etc, - just plain natural coconut water. I can tell you that it definitely quenched my thirst in ways that plain water could not. I still drink water regularly, but not gallons (so it seemed) hourly, and when the feeling comes on that I am getting thirsty/dehydrated and water is not cutting it, I go for the coconut water. You may even notice that they are starting to advertise it on TV in commercials as a great drink for hydration re: sports.

Good luck :)

SaraM

It is really interesting, because I have the same symptoms, but my calcium , potassium and albumin were recently tested high.

Seadragon

From a lot of our experience, you don't need to treat Diabetes Insipidus directly. Treatments that help ME usually help Diabetes Insipidus. That has been my experience. i used to need a barrel too!

Best,
Sushi

Sushi,

What treatments have helped you especially with this?

Esperanza x

Seadragon

Hi,

This is my fist post - I hope it helps a bit.

I had the very same thing for many, many months. I was so thirsty that I drank so much water to the point of feeling waterlogged, nauseated, etc, yet it never helped. I urinated excessively and I constantly felt dehydrated. I too did the 24 hour urine test - it was a cortisol related test if I recall properly - and if it had been 25 hours I think I would have need another bottle - were talking the size of a gas can :eek: I tried making my own concoctions too after researching dehydration, but it did not really work. I had an opportunity to talk with an exceptional nutritionist and he recommended coconut water. He said that it is high in potassium and does not have all of the crap that sports drinks have in them. I buy the kinds without added sugar etc, - just plain natural coconut water. I can tell you that it definitely quenched my thirst in ways that plain water could not. I still drink water regularly, but not gallons (so it seemed) hourly, and when the feeling comes on that I am getting thirsty/dehydrated and water is not cutting it, I go for the coconut water. You may even notice that they are starting to advertise it on TV in commercials as a great drink for hydration re: sports.

Good luck :)

Hi Meadow,

I PM'd you about this - hope that's OK :)

Esperanza x

Seadragon

Anyone tried the coconut water for this?

If so, how often do you drink it instead of other drinks a day and can you dilute it as it's very expensive in the UK?

Can you drink, say, a glass of that and then a glass of plain water or juice? Or should I be drinking only the coconut water every day?

Esperanza x