• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doing better on methylation after taking....

Charles555nc

I couldnt tolerate methyl folate, and after alot of trials, I can tolerate methyl folate much better after taking about 1600mcg of regular folate for a week. I ran into alot of problems when starting methylation type supplements, bad reactions to glutathione, potassium supplements, melatonin, selenium. But at least I can tolerate methyl folate a bit better.

I take methyl b12, coenzyme b12, a b complex occassionally, folic acid and methyl folate, large dose vitamin C

richvank

I couldnt tolerate methyl folate, and after alot of trials, I can tolerate methyl folate much better after taking about 1600mcg of regular folate for a week. I ran into alot of problems when starting methylation type supplements, bad reactions to glutathione, potassium supplements, melatonin, selenium. But at least I can tolerate methyl folate a bit better.

I take methyl b12, coenzyme b12, a b complex occassionally, folic acid and methyl folate, large dose vitamin C

Hi, Charles.

Sorry about the problems you have had with tolerating methylfolate. I don't know for sure, but it may be that taking "regular folate," by which I think you mean folic acid, you may have raised the concentration of folic acid in your blood enough that it is successfully competing with methylfolate for transport into your cells and preventing it from entering in significant amounts. If the tolerance wears off, you might consider lowering the dosage of methylfolate.

Best regards,

Rich

aquariusgirl

Rich, is that a roundabout way of saying he is shooting himself in the foot & that basically he is having problems tolerating methylfolate & the folic acid is just reducing the amount of methyl folate he is metabolising through competition for folate receptors in the gut?

richvank

Rich, is that a roundabout way of saying he is shooting himself in the foot & that basically he is having problems tolerating methylfolate & the folic acid is just reducing the amount of methyl folate he is metabolising through competition for folate receptors in the gut?

Hi, AQ.

That's essentially the idea, but I think it's the transport of methylfolate from the blood into the cells that is being inhibited, rather than from the gut into the blood. The latter could occur if he was taking them at the same time, but I think what he has done is load up his blood with folic acid and then take methylfolate later, if I understand correctly what he wrote.

Best regards,

Rich

Charles555nc

I halved the dose of both and take them at the same time. You didnt explain why I would have a bad reaction to methyl folate in the first place. I actually felt alot better when I was loading up on folic acid (before re-adding in methyl folate).

Doesnt folic acid ensure more accurate dna repair and is thus anti viral?

Charles555nc

How long is the "Startup reaction"
What symptoms can I expect?
Is it related to the Herxheimer reaction?
Is it only methyl folate that causes a start up reaction?

I searched and saw some info about this but I could use some more answers.

Edit:
What brand of folinic acid do Fredd/Rich use?

greenshots

This depends alot on your genetic makeup so if you haven't had them done, you won't exactly know.
But if you've found your generally sensitive then you can count on an early detox reaction and it will probably be longer but how long is anyone's guess. Some feel like crud for days and others for weeks or months. The folinic or folate or folic can compete with the methyl folate but many feel that folinic is still okay to take whereas folic acid is pure garbage (in most expert's opinions) and shouldn't be used. So using any of these versions may make the active folate easier to take since you are blocking some of its reabsorption and aren't really getting as much. I would just use smaller doses and get what you can tolerate.

The methyl B12, hydroxy B12, & active folates:5THF or 5 formyl THF (folinic) all lead to start up symptoms but for many of us, whatever we are drastically depleted in can be a problem. I had trouble with something as simple as vit K when I first started it up so my doc suggested using a blob from each gel cap to start(poke with tack).

Its probably good to make sure you have magnesium and potassium on board since they are both intracellular and when start up occurs, cells turn over faster and release these minerals so that depletions make things much worse.

hope this helps
Angela

How long is the "Startup reaction"
What symptoms can I expect?
Is it related to the Herxheimer reaction?
Is it only methyl folate that causes a start up reaction?

I searched and saw some info about this but I could use some more answers.

Edit:
What brand of folinic acid do Fredd/Rich use?

aquariusgirl

Not exactly on point.. but regarding angela's point about needing potassium as part of this protocol. You lose potassium if you are dehydated..and since we tend to lose a lot of fluids cos of low ADH.. I am wondering if we are already low in potassium even before going on the protocol .. if we've been sick a long time. If so, that would be a double whammy on potassium, which is the 3rd most plentiful substance in the body after oxygen & water, according to one thing I read.

maddietod

I went through my old tests and found that I've always been on the very low end of normal for potassium. I've been studying potassium, and it would be impossible for me to get the rda (4700mg) from food; I have to work hard to get 2000mg. I bought a potassium meter, and found that without supplementing, I go below the normal range, which is especially unwise when on a methylation protocol.

I think it's wise to pay attention to getting the full rda of potassium while on methylation protocols.

Madie

greenshots

As opposed to detox, which some feel is too much of a blanket term that generically refers to everything that happens after starting such supplements.

Symptomsmof start up include fatigue, headaches, lethargy, rashes, diarrhea, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and at times, heart racing (especially if low in potassium or magnesium).

I would have to also agree with Aquarious girl that most of us are probably already low in electrolytes to begin with, particularly potassium and mag.

startup reaction?